Feeling Yuk as Blood Sugars Drop

Cat1988

Good Morning All

I have been pre-diabetic for around 3 years but my last HBA1C was 50 (May 2021) which had jumped from 44 a few months beforehand.

I saw a different endocrinologist on Wednesday 9th June who has given me the wake up call that my body just can't handle carbs anymore and we need to reduce them as much as possible. So we amended my diet from yesterday and I post my finger prick test results.

However, this morning post breakfast I've found that I feel sicky and horrible- is this due to the sugars dropping to where they should be and does it clear up? Currently have almonds on hand as a snack and lots of water.

Thursday Friday
10/06/2021 11/06/2021

Before Breakfast 7.6 7.2
2 hours Post Breakfast 6.8 5.9
Before Lunch 5.8
2 hours Post Lunch 7.3
Before Tea 5.3

6.6 6.6

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Our bodies are amazing mechanisms that can be "trained" to accept different things.
When we make sudden adjustments to what it is used to our bodies are confused.

For example, type 2 may come on slowly so gradually our blood sugars rise and our bodies get used to the higher levels and think they are normal. When we start to lower the levels, our body experiences something it is not used t (lower levels) and reacts. This is often referred to as false hypos" - we experience hypo symptoms even though our levels are higher than 4mmol/l.

The other thing that may be happening if you have adjusted your diet is that you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms from food which your body has become used to - like an addict experiencing cold turkey.

These feelings should clear up but don't forget that diabetes does not stop us getting ill in other non-diabetes related ways. So, keep an eye on your symptoms and get medical assistance if they do not go away. They may have nothing to do with your change in diet and blood sugar levels.

Finally, your levels look good. As someone with Type 1, I would be very please with levels like that.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning All

I have been pre-diabetic for around 3 years but my last HBA1C was 50 (May 2021) which had jumped from 44 a few months beforehand.

I saw a different endocrinologist on Wednesday 9th June who has given me the wake up call that my body just can't handle carbs anymore and we need to reduce them as much as possible. So we amended my diet from yesterday and I post my finger prick test results.

However, this morning post breakfast I've found that I feel sicky and horrible- is this due to the sugars dropping to where they should be and does it clear up? Currently have almonds on hand as a snack and lots of water.

Thursday Friday
10/06/2021 11/06/2021

Before Breakfast 7.6 7.2
2 hours Post Breakfast 6.8 5.9
Before Lunch 5.8
2 hours Post Lunch 7.3
Before Tea 5.3

6.6 6.6
are you on any medication for your diabetes?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
If you’re just starting low carb, there’s some adjustment time, a couple weeks. Stay hydrated

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a thought - low carbing can mean a reduction in salt intake. Remember to have some salt. I have a Bovril drink most days for the salt (and I like it)

Cat1988

Just a thought - low carbing can mean a reduction in salt intake. Remember to have some salt. I have a Bovril drink most days for the salt (and I like it)
Just seen you've been diangosed with CFS- I've had it for about 9 years but now receiving weekly massages through the Perrin Technique.

Cat1988

Our bodies are amazing mechanisms that can be "trained" to accept different things.
When we make sudden adjustments to what it is used to our bodies are confused.

For example, type 2 may come on slowly so gradually our blood sugars rise and our bodies get used to the higher levels and think they are normal. When we start to lower the levels, our body experiences something it is not used t (lower levels) and reacts. This is often referred to as false hypos" - we experience hypo symptoms even though our levels are higher than 4mmol/l.

The other thing that may be happening if you have adjusted your diet is that you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms from food which your body has become used to - like an addict experiencing cold turkey.

These feelings should clear up but don't forget that diabetes does not stop us getting ill in other non-diabetes related ways. So, keep an eye on your symptoms and get medical assistance if they do not go away. They may have nothing to do with your change in diet and blood sugar levels.

Finally, your levels look good. As someone with Type 1, I would be very please with levels like that.

2 hours post lunch is 6.2 so it might be the 'hypo' symptoms that you mentioned. I think it is just related to the change as nothing else has changed since Thursday so I'll just sit on the surf board and ride it out.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just 2 metformin a day. The endocrinologist from Wednesday said to up to 4 but I'm worried about doing that straight away and I might just ride it out and see what happens over the next few weeks and make the call then.
It is usual to have 1 metformin a day for a few days, then 2 for a few days etc etc to build up tolerance to it, as some people can react badly to it at first.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

I'd like to echo previous posters. I certainly found two different phenomena. First the false hypos and second keto flu. I was a carb addict from way back. My body was not thrilled with the sudden absence of carbs. Your levels seem fine. As a type 2 on only metformin you are unlikely to need to really worry about hypos- having said that testing while changing your diet is a good idea for anyone. If you get levels in the 4s it may be worth asking more questions. The people here are amazing and helpful and always willing to give help.

What you are already doing is working to bring your levels down which is great. It's great that your endocrinologist gave you advice to reduce your carb intake.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @Cat1988

I certainly suffered from Carb Flu when I first reduced my carb intake. Seemed to last for about a week or so. At this stage I would stick with it and see how your body adjusts to the change of diet for a week or so. Great that you are checking your BG levels and they look fine at this stage. It seems that you are quite athletic so make sure that with the carb reduction you are increasing your protein and fat consumption to get enough energy

Let us know how you go

Reactions: jjraak

Cat1988

Hello and welcome.

I'd like to echo previous posters. I certainly found two different phenomena. First the false hypos and second keto flu. I was a carb addict from way back. My body was not thrilled with the sudden absence of carbs. Your levels seem fine. As a type 2 on only metformin you are unlikely to need to really worry about hypos- having said that testing while changing your diet is a good idea for anyone. If you get levels in the 4s it may be worth asking more questions. The people here are amazing and helpful and always willing to give help.

What you are already doing is working to bring your levels down which is great. It's great that your endocrinologist gave you advice to reduce your carb intake.

It was a very expensive appointment at just shy of £400 but I think it was definately worth the extra cost to have it properly explained (which it seems might not have been done before). I have the headache today which is so annoying. I'm reducing the testing from Monday back to 3 then hopefully even less once I'm happy with the levels etc.