Type 1 diabetes

Laneysystem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello to everyone, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year and 5 month's ago at the age of 46. To be honest I felt great relief when I was diagnosed as I'd been feeling awful for over 5 month's. I was exhausted all the time and was working 5 days a week, looking back I have no idea how I managed to get out of bed every day! The doctor diagnosed me with ketones and as soon as he said that I knew what it meant, I was expecting the diagnosis as I had many other symptoms but it was still a shock and I cried when the doctor told me I had ketones and my BG was 18.6. The first person I told was my older sister who has been type 1 for 31 year's at the time. She was more upset than me and had to hang up the phone. I consider myself very lucky as I know a lot about type 1 due to my sister, she was diagnosed at 19 with late onset diabetes.

Laneysystem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello to everyone, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year and 5 month's ago at the age of 46. To be honest I felt great relief when I was diagnosed as I'd been feeling awful for over 5 month's. I was exhausted all the time and was working 5 days a week, looking back I have no idea how I managed to get out of bed every day! The doctor diagnosed me with ketones and as soon as he said that I knew what it meant, I was expecting the diagnosis as I had many other symptoms but it was still a shock and I cried when the doctor told me I had ketones and my BG was 18.6. The first person I told was my older sister who has been type 1 for 31 year's at the time. She was more upset than me and had to hang up the phone. I consider myself very lucky as I know a lot about type 1 due to my sister, she was diagnosed at 19 with late onset diabetes.
And I was working late, so sorry for my late message

Laneysystem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 15 wen my sis diagnosed, was awful she moved back from London back to Scotland cos she couldn't handle her job as a nanny, it was her boss that recognised her symptoms as she had a relative who had it but when she was diagnosed she was an absolute ***** to her!

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh dear, it was fortunate that your sisters symptoms were recognised and she could get diagnosed but a shame she had to move back home as a result.
I'm 33 :)

Laneysystem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It worked out well for her actually she moved back to London met her now husband and had 3 boys! Though unfortunately wen her first born son aged 9 he was diagnosed with Ewing's sarcoma a cancer in the bone in his head! Her second son was 6 and she was 6 month's pregnant with her 3rd boy. He had treatment but his cancer came back when he was 11. He is now 29 and he's fighting cancer again. My nephew is amazing for fighting this for so long! My big sister is an amazing Mum! X

Reactions: sleepster

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
And I was working late, so sorry for my late message

It's lunch time for me :), here in wintry New Zealand. One of the great things about these forums is that you can post 24/7 and although at some times there are less members than others, there'll probably always be someone online. Welcome to the foums from a fellow T1.

Laneysystem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow I kind of assumed this forum was in Britain, so glad to find out it isn't! Can I ask you what insulin ur on? My sis was on lantus for 8 year's and was so ill! She's now on what they call an old insulin porcine isophane+neutral, I'm on the same

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm glad I'm not in New Zealand as it's 28 degrees in London! (•‿•)
It's not as cold as it gets in Britain, or at least my area isn't. Just about to take my dog for a walk before it starts raining.:) And it's nice chatting to you too.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Wow I kind of assumed this forum was in Britain, so glad to find out it isn't! Can I ask you what insulin ur on? My sis was on lantus for 8 year's and was so ill! She's now on what they call an old insulin porcine isophane+neutral, I'm on the same

Lantus and humalog, but I was on animal insulins when first diagnosed, half a century ago....

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, I think I must have been diagnosed at the same time as you but age 47! How are you getting along with everything? I feel that I’ve finally come to terms with the diagnosis but it’s taken over a year to gain any confidence with food x

alangdunbar

I have just been diagnosed with Type 1, age 46. Is there any advice you can give on living with type 1?
It can be hard to adjust and a big shock to get the diagnoses. A lot of people get misdiagnosed initially as T2 or T1.5 (T2 with Insulin). The one thing is though don't panic.. its not as big a minefield as it used to me. My Mother was Type 1 and I'm T2. The main thing is to get used to your insulin levels and count and I mean count your carbs. Its the key to getting your levels right. There are courses such as DAFNE which are invaluable to get your started on the journey. It is there to help you manage your levels with food, until it becomes second nature. Also plenty of NHS resources about coping mentally & physically. The main point is YOU ARE NOT ALONE on here!! It does get better

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have just been diagnosed with Type 1, age 46. Is there any advice you can give on living with type 1?

Hypos. Don't live in terror of them, but be aware of them as a possibility. Always have fast acting carbs with you because being unable to treat a hypo is no joke. Everything else you can learn by degrees.
Oh, and when you travel, have back up for your diabetic supplies, because you can almost guarantee that id a vial of insulin or your insulin pen breaks, it's going to be while you are away from home.:)

SheenaLW

Hypos. Don't live in terror of them, but be aware of them as a possibility. Always have fast acting carbs with you because being unable to treat a hypo is no joke. Everything else you can learn by degrees.
Oh, and when you travel, have back up for your diabetic supplies, because you can almost guarantee that id a vial of insulin or your insulin pen breaks, it's going to be while you are away from home.:)

Thank you so much, that’s very useful.