New t1

Tezzat1

Hi all new to this I'm type 1 and sometimes hate using these pens lol. Feel like you can't go anywhere because got to get BK home for food and pen time and get mad sometimes when pressing down pen and it's stuck. Just daft things in general lol put the pen in the same spot get a lump feel a little sting. I feel because I go bed bg at 4-5 I must eat more I wake up at between 4-5 and panic I might get a low which happens after going for a walk sometimes.

Reactions: Mad76

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Tezzat1 and welcome to the forums. Not sure you'll get many replies at this time of the UK night but the international members like me are wide awake.

T1 can be a very hard diagnosis initially, just because there is so much to keep track of, but you don't have to get on top of it all at once, and it should get easier as you get used to it.
The bad news: insulin pens, carb counting. blood tests, potential hypos, carrying around diabetic paraphernalia...:bigtears:
The good news: though it's initially a shock. there are very very few things that diabetes stops you doing (yes, I think astronaut is probably out, but olympic athlete is in). In the short term, I'd hope that you are getting lots of advice from your doctors or clinic, but in the long term you should be able to take more control and make your own decisions as you learn how your own body reacts to carbs, insulin and exercise.

I might get a low which happens after going for a walk sometimes
(Yes, I often get hypos when I walk my dog :). ) As far as hypos are concerned, it's great that you've had one and can recognise the symptoms. I strongly urge you to always take fast acting sugar with you when on walks (or anything else) as if you have a hypo you need sugar immediately so it doesn't get worse. Do you live alone or do you have family or housemates that you can tell about hypos?

Insulin pens are a bit of a nuisance but they are way better than syringes (yes I'm that old) and should be easy enough for you to carry round so that you don't need to go home to inject (at least long term, I appreciate you may not yet be ready to carb count meals or inject while you are out).

I feel because I go bed bg at 4-5 I must eat more I wake up at between 4-5
If that's a 4-5 bg level on waking then that's pretty good, as it's the same level as your bedtime. If you're waking at 4-5am anxious about your levels then that isn't so good (no one likes anxiety or a broken night's sleep). I'd suggest you ask your team whether it's a good idea to go to bed a bit higher or maybe have a bedtime snack.

Anyway, it will get easier, and once again, welcome.

Reactions: JMoli and Tezzat1

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bought a small pouch with an isothermal pocket to carry the insulin around with me during the summer. With it you can eat anywhere...

Reactions: Tezzat1

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello there and welcome
You are doing really well keeping going with a whole new routine (pricks and pens plus fear of hypo)
It will start to feel easier as you get to know how to adjust insulin and be a bit more spontaneous with eating out.
Starting a walk at about 7-8 works well if you know you're going to drop by 2-3 points for example - you could eat a little extra or cut back on the preceding meal bolus dose.
I hope you'll take the chance to go on a carb counting course if offered as it might help to build a network of fellow type 1s who get your issues. We get them here too so feel free to have a rant or ask a question or notice something at any time.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all new to this I'm type 1 and sometimes hate using these pens lol. Feel like you can't go anywhere because got to get BK home for food and pen time and get mad sometimes when pressing down pen and it's stuck. Just daft things in general lol put the pen in the same spot get a lump feel a little sting. I feel because I go bed bg at 4-5 I must eat more I wake up at between 4-5 and panic I might get a low which happens after going for a walk sometimes.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Problem with pens jamming? Oddly, @EllieM & I were discussing this a few days back.
It can happen.
You might find this topic of interest.? https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/faulty-insulin-pens.182280/

Best wishes.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

What pens are you using. The disposable pens are pretty useless to be honest.. depends which insulin you are on as to which permanent good pens you can use.

You should be given enough pens for your life style.. not be limited to getting home for food and pentime.
I use 4 different types of insulin (this is rare) . I have 2 evening pens on my bedside cabinet and two pens for the mornings as well. Then I have ale on the kitchen so I can inject whilst cooking dinner and also spend in my bag if I am going out.

If you get a lump after injecting then this may be down to your skin not liking the insulin you are on or the area.. or how you are injecting. In the case of lumps, I had one insulin that always caused lumps and I switched to a different one. If lumps do occur rub the lump to get it to dispense the insulin in your body. A good injection shouldn’t hurt or give lumps.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: EllieM and Tezzat1

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So that’s Lantus disposable pens??

I would recommend that you ask for permanent pen with cartridges that go in them.

Have you got novorapid in pens that deliver 1/2 units? If not ask for novo echo
Pens, needles and cartridges
Sometimes 1/2 unit adjustments when eating or correcting can make a huge difference.

Ask for more pens as well as you should always have a back up kept incase of loss or damage.
It was either lantus or levemir that gave me lumps under skin. Can’t remember which but suspect it was the lantus.

You can always ask for a different background insulin such as levemir or tresiba. There are other types that can be used.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Novo rapid flexpen I take 15 units before breakfast lunch and dinner. It has 100 units/ml

Flex pens are cumbersome to store and really not so good as the novopen echo.

I would ask for non throwaway pen and cartridges. The echo pe does 1/2 units and is far superior to the flex pens.. it also shows you how much you have doses just incase you forget!! And when you did the jab as well. Invaluable!! You should be able to ask for 2 to use at least and one as a back up incase of accident or loss. Cartridges are easy and take far less room in the fridge.