Extremely weak, heat intolerant and need some advise

Daviee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a type 1 diabetic for 16 years now, I haven’t had good control until recently because i kept suffering from hypos and the hospital wouldn’t give me a insulin pump despite a nurse from me gp requesting one, anyway I had a mental breakdown about 6 months ago because I was so unwell because I started shouting they put me in a mental health hospital and put me on respiredone about 2 months after that I noticed I became very unwell, unable to exercise without nearly fainting, shortness of breath and weight gain also the risperidone was making my mmol levels rise and I had started to feel warm all the time, I was putting more insulin in to bring my mmol back in range they left me like this until 6 weeks ago where they stopped the injection and gave me new medication, the shortness of breath got a little bit better but as soon as the weather got warmer I felt nauseated overheated my veins started swelling my heart feels weak too. I phoned the gp they sent me to A&E I was very ill and after a 6 hour wait they sent me home because my ecg and blood tests showed as normal, is this from the diabetes or some other underlying condition, or could that injection still be in my system, my diabetes nurse said they shouldn’t have sent me home and to go again but I think they will do the same thing again, they were very disinterested in helping from the start. These are my symptoms, feeling hot and stuffy even in front of a fan, thirsty, a faint feeling in my chest, since drinking loads of water constantly I have stopped vomiting and not fainted however even when I have fainted my mmol was normal, I also keep swelling in my thighs, and get very dry palms, I’m definitely hydrated and I’m staying out of the sun but constantly feel nauseated. Could this be a deficiency from the previous uncontrolled diabetes or is the respiredone still in my system, In the hospital they blamed the new medication however I went like this in March when it went slightly warm before the medication change. I’m also getting white hairs in my eyelashes eyebrows and hair and very dry skin and it’s premature.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I am a type 1 diabetic for 16 years now, I haven’t had good control until recently because i kept suffering from hypos and the hospital wouldn’t give me a insulin pump despite a nurse from me gp requesting one, anyway I had a mental breakdown about 6 months ago because I was so unwell because I started shouting they put me in a mental health hospital and put me on respiredone about 2 months after that I noticed I became very unwell, unable to exercise without nearly fainting, shortness of breath and weight gain also the risperidone was making my mmol levels rise and I had started to feel warm all the time, I was putting more insulin in to bring my mmol back in range they left me like this until 6 weeks ago where they stopped the injection and gave me new medication, the shortness of breath got a little bit better but as soon as the weather got warmer I felt nauseated overheated my veins started swelling my heart feels weak too. I phoned the gp they sent me to A&E I was very ill and after a 6 hour wait they sent me home because my ecg and blood tests showed as normal, is this from the diabetes or some other underlying condition, or could that injection still be in my system, my diabetes nurse said they shouldn’t have sent me home and to go again but I think they will do the same thing again, they were very disinterested in helping from the start. These are my symptoms, feeling hot and stuffy even in front of a fan, thirsty, a faint feeling in my chest, since drinking loads of water constantly I have stopped vomiting and not fainted however even when I have fainted my mmol was normal, I also keep swelling in my thighs, and get very dry palms, I’m definitely hydrated and I’m staying out of the sun but constantly feel nauseated. Could this be a deficiency from the previous uncontrolled diabetes or is the respiredone still in my system, In the hospital they blamed the new medication however I went like this in March when it went slightly warm before the medication change. I’m also getting white hairs in my eyelashes eyebrows and hair and very dry skin and it’s premature.

Has your thyroid function been checked?

Reactions: JMK1954 and EllieM

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
They don’t tell me what they checked just said low energy blood tests they did

"low energy" they don't use big words

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Daviee, am I understanding correctly that you are no longer on risperidone, but are on new medication instead? What new medication is that?

Daviee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My last respiredone injection was 6 weeks ago because I refused anymore but I got these symptoms in may and the mental health team ignored it I would get very cold or very hot even when the temperature wasn’t warm they eventually reduced the dosage but I still had no energy fatigue weakness nausea and fainting, they switched me to latuda, I’m concerned because some places state antipsychotics can stop people regulating their body temperature and I’m worried it’s permanent. The paramedics came out when I phoned 111 without me asking for them and said call the GP because we are for life threatening emergencies or injuries you need more boood tests done. I’m in a real bad state

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Daviee nothing I've read says any side effects will be permanent so try to relax a bit.
You know not to suddenly stop taking antipsychotics but to make sure the dose is lowered slowly over a long time.
Just make sure any doctor knows about the diabetes too as mental health staff may not be as clued up on that side of things.
The best way to make sure you are listened too is to remain calm and to show that you can be in control of your diabetes.
Too high bg can cause mental health symptoms too (people often report brain fog), so thats another reason to say as on top of it as you can
I do understand these apparent side effects are worrying you but they should lessen as your body gets used to the medication ( antipsychotics are notoriously strong), and yes it is suddenly hot for us all.
Such a shame you have to deal with 2 major issues at once, but I am sure you will get through it. Be kind and gentle to yourself

Reactions: EllieM

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My last respiredone injection was 6 weeks ago because I refused anymore but I got these symptoms in may and the mental health team ignored it I would get very cold or very hot even when the temperature wasn’t warm they eventually reduced the dosage but I still had no energy fatigue weakness nausea and fainting, they switched me to latuda, I’m concerned because some places state antipsychotics can stop people regulating their body temperature and I’m worried it’s permanent. The paramedics came out when I phoned 111 without me asking for them and said call the GP because we are for life threatening emergencies or injuries you need more boood tests done. I’m in a real bad state

If you look at the interaction section on drugs.com, fluctuations on sensation of body temperature are indicated in Latuda; I have not checked this side effect with other antipsychotics like respiredone.