Am I getting this right?

Iona May

Following on from my last post, thanks everyone for all your help its been really useful. I have been taking my blood sugar readings before food and 2 hours after.

This is how they have been stacking up.

W 10.1/22.6
T 12.4/14.3 10.5/14.8 11.2/13.7
F 11.7/15.3 11.5/13.7 10.9/11.3
S 11.3/12.7 10.0/15.7 10.5/12.8
S 12.5/13.4 12.2/14.2

Other than the first day, does it look like I am doing the right thing with regards to food? I am still another week away from my second blood test and want to do all I can to help myself in the meantime. Any advice welcome, thanks so much :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Following on from my last post, thanks everyone for all your help its been really useful. I have been taking my blood sugar readings before food and 2 hours after.

10.1/22.6
12.4/14.3 10.5/14.8 11.2/13.7
11.7/15.3 11.5/13.7 10.9/11.3
11.3/12.7 10.0/15.7 10.5/12.8
12.5/13.4 12.2/14.2

Other than the first day, does it look like I am doing the right thing with regards to food? I am still another week away from my second blood test and want to do all I can to help myself in the meantime. Any advice welcome, thanks so much :)

Certainly looks like you’re on the right track food wise as most of those meals are within the 2mmol rise target. Great stuff!

Reactions: Iona May

Iona May

Certainly looks like you’re on the right track food wise as most of those meals are within the 2mmol rise target. Great stuff!
Brill. Thank you. I wasn't a 100% sure what I should be aiming for. My best result 0.4 difference was from a meal out with my friend. She had booked a carvery for us so I had the meat and veggies and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't miss what I chose not to eat either!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

W 10.1/22.6
T 12.4/14.3 10.5/14.8 11.2/13.7
F 11.7/15.3 11.5/13.7 10.9/11.3
S 11.3/12.7 10.0/15.7 10.5/12.8
S 12.5/13.4 12.2/14.2

The rises are mostly within the ranges so that's good, it's great you are doing well there. The starting levels are what I'd look at improving next

What sort of things have you had in the meals? There may be opportunity there to bring your overall levels down as I have found some foods can keep elevated longer than the 2 hour mark

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM and Iona May

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you also keeping a food diary so you can watch for patterns? That will help.
Some of the rises are well above 2 - I can see 2 rises of 4 and one of over 5. If you know what you had for those meals (all ingredients including sauces etc) you will see that food isn't suiting you.

Reactions: Iona May

Iona May

The rises are within the ranges so that's good, it's great you are doing well there. The starting levels are what I'd look at improving next

What sort of things have you had in the meals? There may be opportunity there to bring your overall levels down as I have found some foods can keep elevated longer than the 2 hour mark

Yes thats what I want to work on as I feel pretty rubbish at the moment, if im completely honest. Ive mostly eaten chicken/pork.cod with salad or veggies. I had a carvery out on Friday and a wetherspoons freedom breakfast on Sunday morning but other than that everything has been home cooked with low carbs.

Reactions: Andydragon

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes thats what I want to work on as I feel pretty rubbish at the moment, if im completely honest. Ive mostly eaten chicken/pork.cod with salad or veggies. I had a carvery out on Friday and a wetherspoons freedom breakfast on Sunday morning but other than that everything has been home cooked with low carbs.
What sort of veggies? Salad generally can be okay, most salad things are low carb but worth noting them down in a food diary as @Bluetit1802 suggests to see any outliers in those higher than ideal raises

Everyone is unique and finding what has a greater (or lesser) impact can take time. Also said f you can, counting your carbs in a day is a good idea. It's a marathon, not a sprint and working it all out and raising the questions here can only help

Iona May

Are you also keeping a food diary so you can watch for patterns? That will help.
Some of the rises are well above 2 - I can see 2 rises of 4 and one of over 5. If you know what you had for those meals (all ingredients including sauces etc) you will see that food isn't suiting you.
Yes I started that yesterday, had to remember back but pretty much managed it. I guess soon it will become second nature, fingers crossed :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
remember to record drinks, breakfasts and snacks too. Those pesky carbs can hide virtually anywhere

Reactions: JMK1954

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Sometimes it's not the food itself, but portion size that is the culprit. A large Apple can have 20g carbs... just an example.

Reactions: lucylocket61