Blood monitors where to buy

Hevab

So I've come
To conclusion I need a monitor and am
Now killing myself for giving bk the on I had when preg two years ago lol.
I have very little spare money what and were is the cheapest one and yo get it, have found a couple of cheap knes I could go buy today but the stops are like £30 for 50 that ain't gunna last long os it

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Re: Blood monitors were to buy

Hi, you should be able to get a free meter from most manufacturers as they make the money from selling strips
Check out the list of meters here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care ... guide.html and google for cheapest suppliers ( online will be cheaper than your local drug suppliers :lol:
alternatively for cheap strips contact Supercheck2 on http://www.supercheck2.co.uk and click on the free starter Kit. The strips are around £8.50 for 50.

Hevab

Thanks how would I go about asking for a free one? Why would I say? I'm not very goo at that's sorta thing lol x

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Hevab,
Once you've chosen which meter you want to try, just phone up the company (listed on their webpage and tell that :
1) you are a diabetic
2) to do structured testing
3) would like one of their meters
4) If they ask, tell them you are going to be testing at least 4 times per day (fasting & after each meal)
edit:
the online signup from Abbott:
https://www.abbottdiabetescare.co.uk/free-meter-signup

sooliz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got my Freestyle Lite meter via the online signup from Abbots posted by Fergus above. It arrived, along with 10 test strips and 10 lancets, within a week. I get strips from ebay - not everyone agrees with the ethics of this - nor do I actually, but I've found it to be the cheapest way of getting strips and cost is a big factor for me.

Grazer

Fergus is dead right - they love giving them away. Bayer may not be the cheapest strips, but they give them free and have good back up. 24 hour nurse helpline, free replacement of everything (batteries, diaries, replacements if it goes wrong) Can ring them on 0845 600 6030. Give them the yarn fergus gave you. Get the "contour" model, comes with free initial supply of 25 strips (mine did anyway) I even entered a "competition" for a free meter, got a package saying "you didn't win, but here's one anyway" so now I have 2! :thumbup: They may start with "don't normally give them.....", so just say "ok, wanted to use Bayer because I heard they're good, but I'll have to get another cheaper one...." They'll come round.

Hevab

Thanks everyone I used the Abbott link Thursday I belive and my meter just arrived next part is to try and get strips on prescription :) wish me luck haha x

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
I went in for the competition for a Bayer on this forum, didnt win but they too sent me one. Even managed to get the strips on prescription. :D

Andy

Unbeliever

Not much point in a meter without strips,
certainly this is a marketing ploy. All these firms just want you or your GP to buy their strips.
I suppose they can't be expected to hand them out willy-nilly so they try to ensure they are going to those who would need them most. A mutually beneficial arrangement .
There are many such in life .
Selling NHS -prescribed srips on EBay is something I find objectionable but I can understand why some are forced to BUY tthem on Ebay. Very little in life is black or white.

££0 for 50 test strips sounds as though the poster is being charged for VAT. If a registered diabetic this is not necessary.

Hevab

I'm happy to buy the strips if I have too, but will be ordering cheaper ones the first price I saw was £29.99 in boots I belive that was a diff more expensove meter. I havnt decided were u will get them from as going to see doc next week so will ask then

goboldly

I phoned Bayer on Tuesday they could not have been more helpful.
I was prepared to use the reasons given earlier in this topic.Explained that I
had been recently confirmed as T2 and that I wanted to self test on a regular basis.
When I stated that I wanted to use the data on my computer they included a data cable.
Meter delivered today Thursday very pleased with their service.