Diagnosed yesterday

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are apples an acceptable snack during the day?
An apple has about 4 to 5 spoons of sugar in it, so... Nah. Berries, (babybel) cheeses, extra dark chocolate (like 85% or higher), that sort of thing'd be suitable. Or cold cuts or something.

....Snacking something with carbs in triggers an insulin response, so every time you eat, you demand more insulin. That's why quite a few of us have stopped snacking. Just eat when you're hungry, don't if you're not. And if you really want to snack, make sure it's no to low carb.

Good luck!
Jo

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An apple has about 4 to 5 spoons of sugar in it, so... Nah. Berries, (babybel) cheeses, extra dark chocolate (like 85% or higher), that sort of thing'd be suitable. Or cold cuts or something.

....Snacking something with carbs in triggers an insulin response, so every time you eat, you demand more insulin. That's why quite a few of us have stopped snacking. Just eat when you're hungry, don't if you're not. And if you really want to snack, make sure it's no to low carb.

Good luck!
Jo
Thanks Jo... I had a feeling apples weren't good.

Reactions: jjraak

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another quick update, had my first completely 'green day' (in relation to monitor readings) yesterday.
7.2 / 6.1 / 5.9 / 6.1 mmol/L

In 2 and half weeks I have also lost 11 pounds and I am feeling positive again. If I am completely honest, I have only had one day when I really wanted something sweet... but I was quickly over it. Don't yet miss bread (surprisingly) or pasta or potatoes. I have supplemented chips for fried asparagus or broccoli, and have discovered cauliflower rice!

Even better, I have been out and had a couple of pints of bitter and some gins and experienced no spikes.

I am now on a strict 5:2 diet for at least another 6 weeks. I have my next HbA1c blood test on 29 June to rubber stamp an official diabetes diagnosis, :nurse: but still, I am feeling much better than I did 3 weeks ago. :) Thanks all.

Reactions: Trevor vP

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, just got my latest HbA1c results:

18/05/2021 was 72 mmol/mol (11.2 mmol/L)
29/06/2021 was 58 mmol/mol (9.3 mmol/L)

so it has come down, just not as much as I would have liked... but then I guess this is a 3 month view.

My own monitor is showing my 30 day average as 7.1 mmol/L and my latest 2 week average is 6.6 mmol/L.

Weight continues to drop, even without much exercise (ankle injury).

So I think in summary, it's not going badly....

Reactions: TooSweetForMe

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just got my latest HbA1c results:

so it has come down, just not as much as I would have liked... but then I guess this is a 3 month view.

My own monitor is showing my 30 day average as 7.1 mmol/L and my latest 2 week average is 6.6 mmol/L.

Weight continues to drop, even without much exercise (ankle injury).

So I think in summary, it's not going badly....

So in 6 weeks your hb1ac has come down from 72 to 58? That is far more than 'not going badly', that is a fantastic start. The reason most hb1acs require a 3 month gap is because the test gives the average of the preceding 3 months, so the last 6 weeks will be showing the average data over the last 6 weeks after diagnosis added to the average 6 weeks before that which would be before you were even diagnosed and likely quite high. In other words, wait another 6 weeks and you will see the true picture of your efforts and by the rate you are going you will be even lower. Well done! x

Reactions: Mattrblue

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So in 6 weeks your hb1ac has come down from 72 to 58? That is far more than 'not going badly', that is a fantastic start. The reason most hb1acs require a 3 month gap is because the test gives the average of the preceding 3 months, so the last 6 weeks will be showing the average data over the last 6 weeks after diagnosis added to the average 6 weeks before that which would be before you were even diagnosed and likely quite high. In other words, wait another 6 weeks and you will see the true picture of your efforts and by the rate you are going you will be even lower. Well done! x

Aww thanks guys, when I read back my initial post on this thread (despair and upset) and now think about how I am doing, I feel so much better... so glad I found this place too. I feel like I'm proud to almost 'brag' about how I am doing and believe me, I am the type of person that never brags... about anything.

Reactions: JMK1954

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done fella….
You have started really well
How is it going now???

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's been a long 4 months...

23/09/2021 was 39 mmol/mol (6.5 mmol/L)

• Winner
Reactions: andromache

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is really great.39 is spot on.I’m willing to bet your weight BP and Cholesterol are also much better.Well done you.

And I hate to say this but now the hard part you have to keep it going.It’s not easy but I go nuts every now and then just because….
I will have a mad day and have everything I have been missing. Usually feel refocused afterwards. So it works for me.
However the thought that this is a lifestyle change and is needed to stay healthy rather than a fad ‘diet’ also helps.

Keep it up

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
haha, yep that's going to me as well. I have had a few blow outs lately, and during my annual 2 weeks hols I didn't care at all, so I am happy. Luckily, I can refocus and I honestly don't find it too much of a chore to be good again. Actually, it's not even a case of being 'good again' just getting back to normal. My BP was spot on at the appointment too, which it hasn't been for a long time - I guess this is the weight loss? or does lowering blood sugar have an effect in its self? Thanks for the encouragement pal.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's been a long 4 months...

23/09/2021 was 39 mmol/mol (6.5 mmol/L)

Great results, wonder why they gave you an A1c test 5 weeks post diagnosis, you would have 7 weeks of pre-diagnosis high BGs in there, that made your 58 even more impressive.
Keep it up, you're now an inspiration to others.

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great results, wonder why they gave you an A1c test 5 weeks post diagnosis, you would have 7 weeks of pre-diagnosis high BGs in there, that made your 58 even more impressive.
Keep it up, you're now an inspiration to others.
Aww thanks buddy, that's nice of you to say. Yeah now that I have more knowledge, I guess it was weird that they didn't wait 12 weeks. So important I keep it up now, as you say. Interestingly, I have now been prescribed a monitor and strips etc. Apparently they were always available through the NHS here on the Isle of Man. So now I have a spare! haha

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was first diagnosed I had two a1c tests only a few weeks apart. Cynically I believe this was to achieve official diabetic status so that the practice gets the bump in income.
Actually you're right, it was so they could officially diagnose me... so does that mean I can be officially un-diagnosed now :woot:;)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually you're right, it was so they could officially diagnose me... so does that mean I can be officially un-diagnosed now :woot:;)
Although that would be personally satisfying, I wouldn't push for it. I was refused diagnosis because I got my levels down before I'd had 2 high readings and am now being denied the annual Hba1c and retinopathy checks.
Better to have them mark you as in remission, that way you stay in the system and are checked so if it does go up again you are already there.
Me, I'm going to have to monitor and control myself all on my unsupported by the NHS. Heres the thread I did on it
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/think-im-being-thrown-out-of-the-club.182383/

• Useful
Reactions: aylalake