Not sure if I am diabetic!

Iona May

Hi Everyone.

I know it sounds strange to not know but I feel I have been left in limbo by the doctors. I thought I was starting with the menopause so I had some blood tests done. I have always had to eat at set times otherwise I felt ill but this time my blood test come back with a result of 15.6. So they asked for a Hba1c test to be done. I phoned for the results today and this came back at 74.

The receptionist said that the doc wants me to have another blood test in 2 weeks, which I really feel has left me in limbo, am I diabetic or not? And what should I be doing for the next 2 weeks? I started healthier eating on Monday when I got the first result and tonight I bought a blood sugar monitor on the way home from work so I can start to monitor before and after meals, to see whats going on.

Do you have any advice on what I could be doing while I wait and is this normal just to be left not knowing?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Iona May and welcome!

Obviously we can’t give a diagnosis but an HbA1c of 74 is firmly in the diabetic range - the threshold at which diabetes is diagnosed in the UK is 48, with 42-47 being regarded as pre-diabetic. If your repeat blood test comes in at a similar level in a couple of weeks then it’ll likely be confirmed that you have diabetes.

In the meantime, it might encourage you to know that many of us here have started out at similar (or higher) levels and got down to non-diabetic numbers simply by changing what we eat. The key to this is reducing intake of carbohydrates. A good starting point for that would be to have a good read of this website, which gives loads of information, recipes and food ideas. There are some paid subscriptions, but unless you want to do that, you can get everything you need for free: https://www.dietdoctor.com/

And stick around here - lots of friendly, knowledgeable and helpful people who can answer any questions you might have.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Iona May

Hi @Iona May and welcome!

Obviously we can’t give a diagnosis but an HbA1c of 74 is firmly in the diabetic range - the threshold at which diabetes is diagnosed in the UK is 48, with 42-47 being regarded as pre-diabetic. If your repeat blood test comes in at a similar level in a couple of weeks then it’ll likely be confirmed that you have diabetes.

In the meantime, it might encourage you to know that many of us here have started out at similar (or higher) levels and got down to non-diabetic numbers simply by changing what we eat. The key to this is reducing intake of carbohydrates. A good starting point for that would be to have a good read of this website, which gives loads of information, recipes and food ideas. There are some paid subscriptions, but unless you want to do that, you can get everything you need for free:

And stick around here - lots of friendly, knowledgeable and helpful people who can answer any questions you might have.

Thank you so much for such a helpful reply, I really appreciate it. I'll have a read as suggested and hopefully keep my sanity for another 2 weeks! Thanks again.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone.

I know it sounds strange to not know but I feel I have been left in limbo by the doctors. I thought I was starting with the menopause so I had some blood tests done. I have always had to eat at set times otherwise I felt ill but this time my blood test come back with a result of 15.6. So they asked for a Hba1c test to be done. I phoned for the results today and this came back at 74.

The receptionist said that the doc wants me to have another blood test in 2 weeks, which I really feel has left me in limbo, am I diabetic or not? And what should I be doing for the next 2 weeks? I started healthier eating on Monday when I got the first result and tonight I bought a blood sugar monitor on the way home from work so I can start to monitor before and after meals, to see whats going on.

Do you have any advice on what I could be doing while I wait and is this normal just to be left not knowing?

Hi there, you've made a great start, that's for sure. You've bought your meter and can see for yourself how your food is affecting your glucose levels. What would be a normal days diet for you now you have started eating healthier and what was it before? For the next two weeks you will definitely be able to obtain a lot of data that may be helpful when you have your 2nd blood test, and if it confirms diabetes then that info gathered by yourself will come in very useful for you and your GP. It's very early days but gosh, you are quick on the ball! x

Iona May

Hi there, you've made a great start, that's for sure. You've bought your meter and can see for yourself how your food is affecting your glucose levels. What would be a normal days diet for you now you have started eating healthier and what was it before? For the next two weeks you will definitely be able to obtain a lot of data that may be helpful when you have your 2nd blood test, and if it confirms diabetes then that info gathered by yourself will come in very useful for you and your GP. It's very early days but gosh, you are quick on the ball! x

Thank you! I think its my way of feeling like I am doing something while I am in limbo.

I have always cooked but we eat a carb heavy diet. So porridge for breakfast, sandwich and crisps for lunch and then a version of meat and salad or veggies for tea, so maybe a kofta kebab with pitta and chips (home made), with 2 pieces of malt loaf as a snack. I do love a Greggs breakfast on a Friday too! Since monday I have had yogurt and nuts or fruit for breakfast, then a veggie and chicken wrap for lunch and pork chop with a chorizo and bean salad with roast Mediterranean veggies for tea. I drink a cup of tea and 2 coffees a day so I know I may need to look at this as well. I know I need to make more changes but I already feel dreadful, headache and racing heart so I am trying not to make myself ill with the diet changing so dramatically.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! I think its my way of feeling like I am doing something while I am in limbo.

I have always cooked but we eat a carb heavy diet. So porridge for breakfast, sandwich and crisps for lunch and then a version of meat and salad or veggies for tea, so maybe a kofta kebab with pitta and chips (home made), with 2 pieces of malt loaf as a snack. I do love a Greggs breakfast on a Friday too! Since monday I have had yogurt and nuts or fruit for breakfast, then a veggie and chicken wrap for lunch and pork chop with a chorizo and bean salad with roast Mediterranean veggies for tea. I drink a cup of tea and 2 coffees a day so I know I may need to look at this as well. I know I need to make more changes but I already feel dreadful, headache and racing heart so I am trying to make myself ill with the diet changing so dramatically.
Hello @Iona May ,

You went from very carby to low carb, which probably also means you're peeing for England right now. Carbs retain water, and when you rid yourself of those, you lose the water they held on to as well. And with the water, electrolytes head for the exit alongside. The headache and racing heart is most likely due to something called carb or keto flu. (As it really does feel flu-ish with aches and pains and fatigue). You're basically dehydrated, losing more sodium, magnesium, potassium calcium etc than you want. It'll take a few days up to a week or two for your body to stabilise itself, but you can just take an electrolyte supplement for a bit and help things along, if bone broth and a bit of coconut water don't help enough. Drink plenty of water! Take heart, this means that what you're doing is working!

Your old diet and your new one, now there's a complete 180! Really well done, taking the bull by the horns with a meter and a diet overhaul. You might want to check the effect of the bean salad, some respond better to pulses than others, and fruit, well, anything other than berries might be problematic, but it sounds like you're well on your way. Also, you might experience some vision issues with the sudden likely drop in your blood sugars. That's normal as glucose is leaving your eyeballs. Your brain's been compensating for a distortion in your vision, and it'll have to get used to not doing that anymore. So if things get fuzzy, don't run to Specsavers. A pair of cheap reading glasses'll see you through for a week or two.

Coffee and tea are fine, by the way. Best use cream though rather than creamer or skimmed milk. ;)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but I already feel dreadful, headache and racing heart so I am trying to make myself ill with the diet changing so dramatically.

Be sure to drink enough and make sure you get enough salt. No issue with drinking tea and coffee (assuming no sugar). It’s important you don’t feel deprived and feel able to sustain any dietary changes you make. It will get easier!

Reactions: Iona May

Iona May

Hello @Iona May ,

You went from very carby to low carb, which probably also means you're peeing for England right now. Carbs retain water, and when you rid yourself of those, you lose the water they held on to as well. And with the water, electrolytes head for the exit alongside. The headache and racing heart is most likely due to something called carb or keto flu. (As it really does feel flu-ish with aches and pains and fatigue). You're basically dehydrated, losing more sodium, magnesium, potassium calcium etc than you want. It'll take a few days up to a week or two for your body to stabilise itself, but you can just take an electrolyte supplement for a bit and help things along, if bone broth and a bit of coconut water don't help enough. Drink plenty of water! Take heart, this means that what you're doing is working!

Your old diet and your new one, now there's a complete 180! Really well done, taking the bull by the horns with a meter and a diet overhaul. You might want to check the effect of the bean salad, some respond better to pulses than others, and fruit, well, anything other than berries might be problematic, but it sounds like you're well on your way. Also, you might experience some vision issues with the sudden likely drop in your blood sugars. That's normal as glucose is leaving your eyeballs. Your brain's been compensating for a distortion in your vision, and it'll have to get used to not doing that anymore. So if things get fuzzy, don't run to Specsavers. A pair of cheap reading glasses'll see you through for a week or two.

Coffee and tea are fine, by the way. Best use cream though rather than creamer or skimmed milk. ;)

Thank you so much for the reply and the reassurance. It will be interesting to see how I test in 2 weeks but im guessing I will be diabetic, looking at the posts its not something I can turn around in two weeks, there will be a whole lifetime of it ahead.

Reactions: jjraak

Jin44

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Iona

I can’t offer any advice but just to say I am in a similar position to you. Left in limbo.

I have blood test booked for Monday but have been waiting 3 weeks for this. I had HbA1c checked last September after being on steroids and having high sugars it was 41. But I think it might be different this time, after meals I am about 13. This morning I was 8.3. Really blurred vision but doctor doesn’t want to know until I get the blood results. Didn’t realise they then need 2...

Hope you get sorted soon, best of luck with the diet.

Iona May

Hi Iona

I can’t offer any advice but just to say I am in a similar position to you. Left in limbo.

I have blood test booked for Monday but have been waiting 3 weeks for this. I had HbA1c checked last September after being on steroids and having high sugars it was 41. But I think it might be different this time, after meals I am about 13. This morning I was 8.3. Really blurred vision but doctor doesn’t want to know until I get the blood results. Didn’t realise they then need 2...

Hi @Jin44

Thank you. Its a terrible place to be isnt it? I really hope that you get sorted soon. I didnt realise that they needed 2 either until I wound myself up to knowing what was going on today and then she said I needed another one! Just what I didnt want to hear.

Good look to you too.

Iona May

I took my reading before tea and it was 10.1 then 2 hours after it was 22.6. I have only started testing today but this seems way too much of a jump to be right so Im guessing my sweet potato, beans, salad and cheese was not T2 friendly!

Also daft question but do people use the same or different fingers to test as my finger stopped giving me any blood and I had to use another one? Sorry I know these are daft questions but this is all very new x

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took my reading before tea and it was 10.1 then 2 hours after it was 22.6. I have only started testing today but this seems way too much of a jump to be right so Im guessing my sweet potato, beans, salad and cheese was not T2 friendly!

Also daft question but do people use the same or different fingers to test as my finger stopped giving me any blood and I had to use another one? Sorry I know these are daft questions but this is all very new x

Its likely the sweet potato and beans are the culprits!

Definitely use different fingers - and use the sides rather than the centre of the pads.

Iona May

Its likely the sweet potato and beans are the culprits!

Definitely use different fingers - and use the sides rather than the centre of the pads.

Hi @Goonergal Thank you I will stay away from them both together and see what difference that makes. And great tip thank you again I would have never have thought of using the sides!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Iona

Hi there,
they don’t always need 2 results. If the first result is so high or there are other symptoms along with a high result. But it does seem more often than not they do 2

I hope your results give you an answer

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi @Iona May

Great start.

does seem likely from your original HBA1c, you could well be T2D, so your doing all the right things so far
to be on the safe side.

As for questions

there are no wrong ones if you don't know the answer
And the only BAD question in my book, is the one you forget to ask.:)

Starting out i got so much wrong, and asked loads of stupid questions,
and all i ever got were virtual hugs and loads of sensible answers.

your among friends here, virtual perhaps.
but definitely friendly.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for the reply and the reassurance. It will be interesting to see how I test in 2 weeks but im guessing I will be diabetic, looking at the posts its not something I can turn around in two weeks, there will be a whole lifetime of it ahead.
The second test is mainly to confirm the accuracy of the first one, and considering the numbers of the first test, no... Not likely to drop enough in 2 weeks' time to give a non-diabetic result, as it's a 3 month average they're testing for. But you'll see a reduction, which'll basically mean you do have a say in how this whole diabetes thing is going to play out. That's empowering, really. I'm five years in, just about, and it does become second nature.

Beans and sweet potato would spike me too. It's a learning curve, you'll get it. We all make mistakes right at the get-go. And use as many fingers as you want. Just always stab at the side of the finger as suggested, because the pad has a lot of nerve endings. Stock photo's with people testing in the middle of the finger are usually made of people who haven't tested before in their life. ;)

Iona May

Hi @Iona May

Great start.

does seem likely from your original HBA1c, you could well be T2D, so your doing all the right things so far
to be on the safe side.

As for questions

there are no wrong ones if you don't know the answer
And the only BAD question in my book, is the one you forget to ask.:)

Starting out i got so much wrong, and asked loads of stupid questions,
and all i ever got were virtual hugs and loads of sensible answers.

your among friends here, virtual perhaps.
but definitely friendly.
Hi @jjraak

Yep thats what im thinking its just weird it not being confirmed. Thank you so much, I will stick around and ask questions and hopefully work it out as I go!

Dark Horse

Yep thats what im thinking its just weird it not being confirmed.
The WHO recommends:-
With no symptoms diagnosis should not be based on a single glucose determination but requires confirmatory plasma venous determination. At least one additional glucose test result on another day with a value in the diabetic range is essential, either fasting, from a random sample or from the two hour post glucose load. If the fasting random values are not diagnostic the two hour value should be used.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/profess...nitoring/new_diagnostic_criteria_for_diabetes

Iona May

The WHO recommends:-
With no symptoms diagnosis should not be based on a single glucose determination but requires confirmatory plasma venous determination. At least one additional glucose test result on another day with a value in the diabetic range is essential, either fasting, from a random sample or from the two hour post glucose load. If the fasting random values are not diagnostic the two hour value should be used.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/profess...nitoring/new_diagnostic_criteria_for_diabetes

I have got symptoms though! I just thought that they were the menopause because im 45 but looking at it now it fits diabetes too. Thirsty, needing to pee alot, numb hands and feet, tired all the time, down, anxious, loss of concentration, not sleeping well, aching muscles etc etc

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Also, you might experience some vision issues with the sudden likely drop in your blood sugars. That's normal as glucose is leaving your eyeballs. Your brain's been compensating for a distortion in your vision, and it'll have to get used to not doing that anymore. So if things get fuzzy, don't run to Specsavers. A pair of cheap reading glasses'll see you through for a week or two."

OMG Jo, I had/have this problem... although my eyes have now started to be better in the last few days... I hadn't realised it was connected. Thanks.