P:E dieting

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @VashtiB
I also agree with @Goonergal and @muzza3 that you can adapt to suit.

I have focussed on upping my consumption of protein (which was appallingly low) and:decreasing my overconsumption of cream (which was appallingly high). I now only have 5ml of cream in each of my 4 or 5 coffees a day.

My take on the P.E. Diet is that it is very flexible and doesn't have rules 'set in stone'. As a result I have found it a joy to follow.

I am, sadly, allergic to wine and don't like other alchohic drinks.

The sweeteners issue is really interesting and thank you @Goonergal for the info that Ted Naiman is OK with sweeteners.

.I stopped using xylitol because it is poisonous to dogs and I was scared that my labs might accidentally eat some but have now discovered Erythritol which actually looks an ok sweetener to use.

I am now using Erythritol to make my diet more enjoyable. I don't like eggs but by making little pancakes with eggs and chia seed protein powder I can eat lots of eggs. They are delicious sprinkled with Erythritol and lemon juice or I add ginger or cinnamon to the mix with the sweetener and they are also delicious.

I feel so much better on the P.E. diet. Loads more energy and also feel much stronger. I don't have much weight to lose but am so pleased that the weight I am losing is all around my middle.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m going to have another bash at this. Looking again at TN’s website I realised I don’t need to work out PE ratios for everything I eat: if I just keep protein a bit above 124g/ day and fat a bit lower than 124g provided carbs are low I should be ok. This seems easier for me to get my head round somehow. I don’t need to lose weight but some redistribution would be nice.
My cream consumption has gone right down since I started having coffee black. Thanks for the heads up re sweeteners, I have the odd Diet Coke but that’s all so I shan’t worry about it.
I have a glass or two of wine most evenings with my dinner but I’ll cut it out, or at least stick to just a couple of days and see if that makes a difference too.

Those of you who eat cottage cheese as TN suggests to up the protein, do you eat the low fat or regular one? ( our local shop only stocks the low fat type)
Good to see you are finding it a joy @Krystyna23040

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
@DJC3 I’ve been buying low fat because it’s all I can get. It still low carb which is more important imho. I eat a double portion, comes out to 25 grams of protein, 8 carbs, I assume is lactose, 4 fat. I eat it with a few almonds , blackberries, basically I this to replace a meal

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I’ve been buying low fat because it’s all I can get. It still low carb which is more important imho. I eat a double portion, comes out to 25 grams of protein, 8 carbs, I assume is lactose, 4 fat. I eat it with a few almonds , blackberries, basically I this to replace a meal

Thanks for the info LaoDan. I agree low carb is more important. I’ll check out the nutrition on the low fat one they sell locally. It’s funny that the natural/ high fat varieties of foods are harder to find these days.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s funny that the natural/ high fat varieties of foods are harder to find these days.

The small Asda on my local high street used to be a dead cert for 20% mince. Then it disappeared for ages. Noticed it’s back again - probably due to the piles of 5% that regularly seemed to be left behind. Round here it was likely a cost issue as the leaner stuff is more expensive, but welcome all the same!

Reactions: muzza3 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The small Asda on my local high street used to be a dead cert for 20% mince. Then it disappeared for ages. Noticed it’s back again - probably due to the piles of 5% that regularly seemed to be left behind. Round here it was likely a cost issue as the leaner stuff is more expensive, but welcome all the same!

An added bonus!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have been trying Maria Emmeriches protein bread

upload_2021-6-16_9-35-38.png

I have been cautious due to not liking over processed "condensed" items that move away from whole and concentrate such as pea protein. Whey protein baked goods, put fat on me almost overnight, when I was at my leanest (later found out whey is insulinogenic) Egg whites I feel comfortable with, so I am trying https://www.bulk.com/uk/egg-white-powder.html. My purpose is to alternative fattier coconut flat breads with the thin protein bread as a meat delivery mechanism.

I have been doing this a week so far and noticed something interesting after my gym workout. I did my usual power building short workout, yesterday. Normally after a 90% of 1 rep max deadlift finisher, I feel this for 2 to 3 days in my CNS. At the time I felt great and also this morning. I am going to repeat this time next week, as normally I stick to 80% of 1 rep max to not get a reaction that requires resting the deadlift.

I am not going to mad on the egg protein powder, but if it makes CNS recovery quicker, strategic use could be a ploy.

Reactions: LaoDan

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
@Mbaker how eggy does it taste? I always think it sounds like an omelette!

No egg taste at all. I watched several protein sparing modified bread recipes YouTubes and settled on just the egg whites, egg protein powder and sprinkling of salt. I did try on one batch 2 big scoops of yogurt to good, which did not change the result, in texture or flavour. I made sure that I baked at 335 and left to cool in the oven (to make sure the crust and height maintained). The inner part of the bread is very light.

I made a wider version, with a shallower rise therefore, which meant horizontal cutting focused on the crust (almost panini like). The thing is my focus is on this being a tool to deliver meat / fish, getting in the volume to push nuts aside.

upload_2021-6-16_10-47-21.png

In some ways this reminds me of rice cakes, if I am honest. A bit bland, but is does displace carbs / fat with a protein hit to boot. It will be interesting to see if others can get texture sorted, I am going to experiment with coconut flour / egg protein pancakes.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No egg taste at all. I watched several protein sparing modified bread recipes YouTubes and settled on just the egg whites, egg protein powder and sprinkling of salt. I did try on one batch 2 big scoops of yogurt to good, which did not change the result, in texture or flavour. I made sure that I baked at 335 and left to cool in the oven (to make sure the crust and height maintained). The inner part of the bread is very light.

I made a wider version, with a shallower rise therefore, which meant horizontal cutting focused on the crust (almost panini like). The thing is my focus is on this being a tool to deliver meat / fish, getting in the volume to push nuts aside.

View attachment 50033

In some ways this reminds me of rice cakes, if I am honest. A bit bland, but is does displace carbs / fat with a protein hit to boot. It will be interesting to see if others can get texture sorted, I am going to experiment with coconut flour / egg protein pancakes.

Thanks. I bought a small (100g) pack of organic egg white powder and may give this a go in place of my ‘carnivore’ pozza base which is made of ground pork crackling and cheese. This would be better protein/energy wise.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
When I was back in the states , I’d make egg white smoothies, pretty awesome. I can’t find liquid egg whites in Singapore.

I’m trying to cut 7kg before July 21st. Pretty hard cut, so I’ve pretty much cut liquid calories. Chicken breast and buckets of greens .. ugh

mind is starting to play tricks “ you’ve been a good boy, it’s ok if you eat a jar of peanut butter “ , actually had a dream about eating lol!

Reactions: muzza3 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As well as being delicious, this short rib has a PE value of 1.3. Couldn’t finish it!

As an aside, I’ve seen someone commenting on Twitter that they’re working on a Chrome extension for recipe pages that will automatically calculate the PE ratio of recipes!

E99FC0EF-27EA-41A7-A63F-08D81ACF73A5.jpeg

Reactions: cynetique

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed today when I tried to access the PE calculator via the bookmark I’d put on my phone, the website has changed slightly since I last looked.
I used the ‘macro calculator’ to see what my ideal ratios would be for my gender and height:
Protein 124g which is what I’ve been aiming for. All good so far.
Fat 50g - seems quite low
Carbs 113g !!

This seems to be heading in the direction of the WW and slimming world diets which put me in the diabetic state.
I’ve been giving the PE diet another go this week as when I first tried it my BGs went quite high. That’s happened again and I’m not getting under 6 mmol all day.
If I ate the amount of carbs indicated I dread to think what BG would be like.

I’m beginning to think that this diet is really just a weight loss diet like many others and any bonus for overweight T2 diabetics will be because of the weight loss, in the same way the Newcastle diet might improve ones HbA1c as a side effect of weight loss.
I don’t need to lose weight, I just want to control my blood sugar levels.
Am I reading this all wrong? I’m feeling a bit confused and discombobulated.

Reactions: Speedbird

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed today when I tried to access the PE calculator via the bookmark I’d put on my phone, the website has changed slightly since I last looked.
I used the ‘macro calculator’ to see what my ideal ratios would be for my gender and height:
Carbs 113g !!

This seems to be heading in the direction of the WW and slimming world diets which put me in the diabetic state.
I’ve been giving the PE diet another go this week as when I first tried it my BGs went quite high. That’s happened again and I’m not getting under 6 mmol all day.
If I ate the amount of carbs indicated I dread to think what BG would be like.

I’m beginning to think that this diet is really just a weight loss diet like many others and any bonus for overweight T2 diabetics will be because of the weight loss, in the same way the Newcastle diet might improve ones HbA1c as a side effect of weight loss.
I don’t need to lose weight, I just want to control my blood sugar levels.
Am I reading this all wrong? I’m feeling a bit confused and discombobulated.

I think it depends what you want to do. I’d ignore the calculator and focus on the protein with natural fats attached. In your case a 1:1 should be fine as that’s recommended for weight maintenance. And even slightly below. It’s about trial and error, I think.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Carbs 113g !!

Hi DJC3

I am definitely using this diet at this stage for weight loss and as an alternative particularly to High Fat Diets as I have always struggled with this. My simple understanding of the diet is if you wish to lose weight you should match the grams of protein to the weight you are targeting. In my case I am currently targeting 172lbs so I try to consume 172g of protein daily. To lose weight I need to ensure that my total Carb and Fat grams are less than 172g ( no specific target for Carbs or Fats as long as they are less than the protein combined) I follow these guidelines over the whole day not individual meals or snacks. I'm not religious about the targets but always want the protein to exceed the combined Carbs and Fats in grams each day. I note that while the carbs have been higher than I previously consumed they are still generally around the 80-90g mark. Notably by following these guidelines it is a reasonably low calorie diet 1500-1700 calories a day

Over the 5 weeks my FBG has actually dropped from the mid 5 ranges to mid to high 4 range.

In your case if you want to maintain a weight of say 124lbs then you should consume 124g of protein a day and combined Carbs and fats of 124g per day as I understand it. You can choose to limit your carbs and increase your fats within that as much as you like.

I am finding this diet very comfortable and am interested in how you progress with it as when I hit my weight goal I would like to try it as a maintenance/ongoing

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs 113g !!

Hi DJC3

I am definitely using this diet at this stage for weight loss and as an alternative particularly to High Fat Diets as I have always struggled with this. My simple understanding of the diet is if you wish to lose weight you should match the grams of protein to the weight you are targeting. In my case I am currently targeting 172lbs so I try to consume 172g of protein daily. To lose weight I need to ensure that my total Carb and Fat grams are less than 172g ( no specific target for Carbs or Fats as long as they are less than the protein combined) I follow these guidelines over the whole day not individual meals or snacks. I'm not religious about the targets but always want the protein to exceed the combined Carbs and Fats in grams each day. I note that while the carbs have been higher than I previously consumed they are still generally around the 80-90g mark. Notably by following these guidelines it is a reasonably low calorie diet 1500-1700 calories a day

Over the 5 weeks my FBG has actually dropped from the mid 5 ranges to mid to high 4 range.

In your case if you want to maintain a weight of say 124lbs then you should consume 124g of protein a day and combined Carbs and fats of 124g per day as I understand it. You can choose to limit your carbs and increase your fats within that as much as you like.

I am finding this diet very comfortable and am interested in how you progress with it as when I hit my weight goal I would like to try it as a maintenance/ongoing

Thank you for your comments and well done for brilliant FBGs. Frustratingly my BG didn’t drop below 6 at any point during the days last week. I’m sort of assuming it’s the extra protein causing it, but who knows? Could be anything really.
I do feel instinctively that a slightly higher protein and slightly lower fat intake than traditional keto macros allow, ought to be beneficial. As a ‘lady of a certain age’ I’m also aware of age-related muscle wastage and I’m keep to stop that.
I will try the DietDoctor high protein keto menus this week and see how that goes. I think that’ll still keep fat+carbs lower than protein.
I will report back.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
6 weeks in.

Weight loss this week .5kg (4.5kg since starting).

Fasting BG 7 day average 4.7
14 day average 4.9
30 day average 5.1

Body contour scales
Body fat down down to 27.8% (starting 29.8%)
Muscle up to 37% (starting 35.9%)
Belt in 1 notch (about an inch) and in 2 since starting

PE Ratio has been around 1.3 over the week.

Calories averaged 1565 this week

Important to remember that while I have seen an improvement in FBG levels that they were in the normal range when I started this diet and my motivation was a combination of weight loss and finding a more comfortable diet as I have never enjoyed High fat and very low carb. My consumption of eggs and cheese has significantly reduced as has bacon and sausages as I eat leaner meats and have had more fish in my diet. Energy levels have been good and feel very full most of the time.

Exercise - Walking each day 10,000 steps plus with 5-6000 at 100 plus heart rate. have just added this last week a little muscle strengthening exercise at home with planks and isometrics ( pulled out an old bullworker ) on alternative days

I am very happy with the results 6 weeks in and my approach is quite relaxed with macros and only tend to concentrate on the protein to get a 1.1 result each day over the whole days intake. Carbs remain under 100g a day

I use my Fit bit app to track macros and I while I can't vouch for its 100% accuracy it is convenient and not overly burdensome to update

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sometrics ( pulled out an old bullworker )
WOW! That's a blast from the past mate, I had one of those many years ago. I do not know what happened to it as I must have lost during the move years back. :D