"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have to say that even if it doesn’t work as ice cream without an ice cream maker, from my tasting so far, the mixture would make a passable mousse and then would just need chilling.
Just as I discovered halfway through that I now know for sure I can make a delicious hot chocolate :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just as I discovered halfway through that I now know for sure I can make a delicious hot chocolate :)

Very good point! I used 300ml of single cream rather than a mix of milk (which I don’t use) and my normal double cream.

The mixture is very rich. Just gone into the freezer.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
We are without transport at the moment - the Scenic needed its brakes checked and the garage found that it needed a new caliper on one side, brake shoes, brake pads and something else in the suspension that I'm not sure about. It had to stay in the garage from Thursday while they fitted new parts, but then, something didn't work out properly and there is more work to do on it. Just have to hope I can afford to pay for it once it is done. One thing is certain - the lock on the back door will have to wait. At least it can only be opened from the inside, so it doesn't really matter that the lock doesn't work. Really hoping to get the car back on Monday so that I can get to the fish shop on Tuesday.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Got the car back last night. They did a whole lot more than I expected and the bill is eye-watering - the car itself can't be worth much more (it is 16 years old). Ah well, I was expecting to be a bit stretched this month, I guess that applies to next month as well. At least I got to the fish shop.

Reactions: maglil55

Max68

Just a quickie to say with the lo dough low carb chicken coating I've been tinkering and threw some black pepper, salt and some Cajun seasoning in as an experiment last night and very nice it was too. Lucky really as Sainsbury have annoyingly taken my fave Firecracker wings off the shelves and replaced them with some ghastly buffalo wings with a seasoning so strong you may as well be eating a vindaloo! Why do supermarket product managers seem to discontinue foods that sell well? Always happens to me!! :banghead:

Max68

Got the car back last night. They did a whole lot more than I expected and the bill is eye-watering - the car itself can't be worth much more (it is 16 years old). Ah well, I was expecting to be a bit stretched this month, I guess that applies to next month as well. At least I got to the fish shop.

You have my sympathies. My car goes in for MOT and Service next week and worst case scenario will be service, Mot, replacement intake manifold, front and rear brakes replaced and a new clutch, and that's what I know about!! My credit card will be having counselling for years! Fingers crossed a few of those bits will hang on another year! My car is a 2006 and some would argue against spending a lot on it but there again whatever it comes to is still less expensive than a new car which I couldn't afford in a million years!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just increased my overdraft limit to cover the costs of the car repair. I don't want to start using my credit card again - I'm still trying to pay off the debt I ran up while my husband was dying (we're into year 4 of paying off that but bit by bit, I will do it). At least the Scenic seems to be running pretty well now - as an 05 model, I think it's doing pretty well but, like you, there's no way I can even think of buying even a half decent used car. One way or another, I have to keep the Scenic running otherwise I'd be completely housebound.

I was saying to my son just today that,despite spending more than the car is worth, it has to be done because, at least, it is paid out in dribs and drabs rather a large drab this time) rather than in one sum. Hey ho, we'll manage.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am soooo angry! The road that connects my home to son's (and runs past the school) is a very, very busy road. It's 20 mph but, as always, you get cars speeding along.
My moan, however, is an idiotic moron from the senior school who thinks it is clever to do extreme wheelies on his bike and swerve all over the road as he is not in control. Every flaming day! He is pulling the bike up so high he is in danger of coming off backwards. I dared to blast him yesterday and shout to him what he was doing was dangerous and if a speeding car hit him he'd be dead or at best, permanently disabled. Foul mouthed abuse in return. I am no longer thinking he's someone's idiotic moron even if he is one. Instead my concern is for the driver who eventually hits him.
I have him on dash cam (twice) and after catching him at it again today and getting more foul mouthed abuse for pointing out he's a danger to himself and others, I called the police. They're not interested unless he actually causes or is involved in an accident! As I said I am so angry. This kid is a major accident waiting to happen . What is going on that the police can do nothing?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am soooo angry! The road that connects my home to son's (and runs past the school) is a very, very busy road. It's 20 mph but, as always, you get cars speeding along.
My moan, however, is an idiotic moron from the senior school who thinks it is clever to do extreme wheelies on his bike and swerve all over the road as he is not in control. Every flaming day! He is pulling the bike up so high he is in danger of coming off backwards. I dared to blast him yesterday and shout to him what he was doing was dangerous and if a speeding car hit him he'd be dead or at best, permanently disabled. Foul mouthed abuse in return. I am no longer thinking he's someone's idiotic moron even if he is one. Instead my concern is for the driver who eventually hits him.
I have him on dash cam (twice) and after catching him at it again today and getting more foul mouthed abuse for pointing out he's a danger to himself and others, I called the police. They're not interested unless he actually causes or is involved in an accident! As I said I am so angry. This kid is a major accident waiting to happen . What is going on that the police can do nothing?

Can't understand at all why the police won't intervene - they do have acrime prevention role, don't they?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
send it to the school. Most schools these days do try to manage the behaviour of their pupils outside the school

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
send it to the school. Most schools these days do try to manage the behaviour of their pupils outside the school

I thought many schools have enough trouble managing the behaviour of their pupils in school never mind outside it. Maybe some kids have gone a bit wild and are lacking discipline due to all the time out of school these last months.

School summer holiday starts here on Friday and Em's classes have already gone into holiday mode, teaching nothing and just giving games for kids to play. Em missed being in school during the enforced break but now is excited by the prospect of a long holiday and the prospect of moving on to P5. Her elder brother, who is 15, finished his exams a couple of weeks ago but still had to go in to school despite having no proper classes and spending hours mooching around the crush hall, being bored. At least he is well behaved (I think) unlike their elder brother, who was TROUBLE. He wanted to stay on to the 6th year, but the school told him to leave of his own volition so they didn't have to exclude him. He was a very troubled youngster as a result of problems from his mother's first 2 disastrous marriages. Happily, over a period of a year or so, once she married my No 2 son, he settled down and has been studying politics at UHI and is planning to marry in May 2022.

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Em was in after school, raiding my larder, as usual. She seems to think that mint imperials are good in tea. This is a new idea. The mint imperials have been in the larder for ages, just as an emergency treatment so they won't be missed. She does get some odd ideas and always wants to experiment with new tastes. There was an advert on the TV which, I think, is supposed to encourage kids to eat vegetables (I don't watch or listen to the ads so had never noticed it before) and she was quite indignant because it was presenting vegetables as "the enemy" to be defeated by being eaten. She was quite vociferous about the foolishness of presenting vegetables this way because she thinks it will cause more children to refuse vegetables. And she finished by saying "and tomatoes are NOT vegetables anyway". End of rant and Em back to normal and asking for a cup of tea to experiment with the mint sweets and "where are the peppers?" That was for eating as a whole fruit, like an apple.

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
DIL is just finding out that running a small business is a bit risky financially due to people not paying their bills either on time, or at all. It's a pity because she does give an excellent service and charges lower rates than others because her overheads are lower. One client she has, who has failed to pay up, runs a small hotel, quite a few miles from here, for which she charges about £5,000 a week, is very demanding about the service she requires and who wants laundry collected and delivered within the week (so 2 trips to do that). Now that they can get their own staff, another, larger business has decided to go back to doing their own laundry, but she knew that wasn't a permanent contract. That makes trips to further away parts of the Island unviable. So a new direction is required, or cutting down just to herself doing the work and her elder daughter not working for the business at present. Nobody said it was going to be easy, and I'm pretty sure many small businesses run into these kind of problems in their early days.

Reactions: Goonergal

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She seems to think that mint imperials are good in tea. This is a new idea. The mint imperials have been in the larder for ages, just as an emergency treatment so they won't be missed. She does get some odd ideas and always wants to experiment with new tastes.
I can remember doing that, I also used to put a whisky flavoured lolly in tea or coffee as well, I cant remember the name but they were hard boiled lolly type with a softer centre with whisky flavouring.

Was good in winter I recall rightly.:)

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can remember doing that, I also used to put a whisky flavoured lolly in tea or coffee as well, I cant remember the name but they were hard boiled lolly type with a softer centre with whisky flavouring.

Was good in winter I recall rightly.:)

Never heard of whisky flavoured lollies, but then, I never did like alcohol, so wouldn't have noticed if such a thing had been available. Maybe my husband would have liked it - he was fond of his "wee nippy sweetie" (little glass of whisky), now and again, especially to fix a cold or sore throat. Or, of course, with demerara sugar and hot water as a "hot toddy". Couldn't stand the smell or taste of it myself.