Metformin or not Metformin

Wendyjoy

I started on 3 Metformin per day, after a 3 1/2 stone weight loss on low carb diet, reduced to 2 per day.
My last 2 hospital blood tests have been 41. Considering I started at 107!
My question is… Should I be aiming to come off Metformin all together or are there advantages to staying on at least one tablet a day going forward?
I am doing well on controlling my diet but is that enough?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Wouldn't you like to see what your body could do by itself. I did and never went back. If you want a better response than metformin you can walk for 10 minutes after a meal.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I started on 3 Metformin per day, after a 3 1/2 stone weight loss on low carb diet, reduced to 2 per day.
My last 2 hospital blood tests have been 41. Considering I started at 107!
My question is… Should I be aiming to come off Metformin all together or are there advantages to staying on at least one tablet a day going forward?
I am doing well on controlling my diet but is that enough?

Obviously we can not give medical advice this should be done with your care team

Having said that metformin does not lower bg a massive amount.. It just slows glucose release from the liver and increases insulin sensitivity so most of the good work is *probably* diet change

So if your aim is to be medication free then there is only 1 way to find out what the effects are... I'm not aware of any benefits other than controlling glucose release

Some find it suppress appetite so there could be a risk of craving more food

Talk to your prescriber see what they think... But ultimately the decision is your to make

One concern though would be an hba1c of 42 would put you into the pre diabetes category so would stopping metformin be enough to put you back in the diabetic ranges?? This could be a reason to carry on until you hba1c us a little lower?

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
If you can tolerate Metformin without suffering any of its unpleasant side effects there is some evidence that it can have many other health benefits.
I've copied this paragraph from here https://www.healio.com/news/endocri...betes-metformin-may-prove-to-be-a-wonder-drug

Studies show metformin may be cardioprotective in patients with diabetes and beneficial in the presence of stable congestive heart failure. The agent also may help to increase pregnancy rate in polycystic ovary syndrome, provide breast and prostate cancer benefits, and offer neuroprotection that may reduce dementia and stroke risk

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am someone who has taken 3 x 500mg daily since my type 2 diagnosis over four years ago. Find below an article that describes in detail how Metformin works and other benefits it can give. If you don’t want to read the whole article just read the contents of the blue boxes.
Personally I suffer no side effects from it, so am happy to continue taking it and maybe it’ll benefit me in more ways than just for my diabetes. I also like that I can perhaps be a little less strict with carbs than diet only type 2s.
https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2001/9/report_metformin
After doing plenty of research and having said all of the above, I do think this is a decision for you to make with your health carers.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Are your Vitamin B12 levels being regularly monitored?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you can tolerate Metformin without suffering any of its unpleasant side effects there is some evidence that it can have many other health benefits.
I've copied this paragraph from here https://www.healio.com/news/endocri...betes-metformin-may-prove-to-be-a-wonder-drug

Studies show metformin may be cardioprotective in patients with diabetes and beneficial in the presence of stable congestive heart failure. The agent also may help to increase pregnancy rate in polycystic ovary syndrome, provide breast and prostate cancer benefits, and offer neuroprotection that may reduce dementia and stroke risk

Great link....Much appreciated

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am someone who has taken 3 x 500mg daily since my type 2 diagnosis over four years ago. Find below an article that describes in detail how Metformin works and other benefits it can give. If you don’t want to read the whole article just read the contents of the blue boxes.
Personally I suffer no side effects from it, so am happy to continue taking it and maybe it’ll benefit me in more ways than just for my diabetes. I also like that I can perhaps be a little less strict with carbs than diet only type 2s.
https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2001/9/report_metformin
After doing plenty of research and having said all of the above, I do think this is a decision for you to make with your health carers.

another great link

cheers @Rachox :)

Reactions: Sinner