Type 1 and PIP

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone

I’ve just had my HbA1c back and was really happy it’s 49 as it’s a significant improvement from when I first found out about diagnosis. But that isn’t the point of this post!

My colleague was telling me that I should apply for PIP being type 1 as it impacts on my daily living. I’ve only technically been recognised as type 1 since July 2019 and don’t have any complications to speak of.

I guess my questions are:

Is there any point as I feel it might be rejected

Has anyone been successful?

Thanks all

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 alone does not entitle you to PIP. If you had say blindness or limp amputation through having type 1 those may entitle you to PIP.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Type 1 is not a PIP entitlement on its own, other factors, including health issues, other medical conditions etc, may be eligible for PIP, so the person would need to be assessed.
Well done in getting a good BG result :)

Last edited:

GeordieMark88

I’m Type one but also partially sighted and suffer with chronic migraines.

NO medical condition entitled you it’s how your daily life is impacted in relation to the PIP descriptors and it’s up to you to demonstrate and evidence this.

sillymoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For PIP things like being alert to hypos or needing help during a hypo would be seen as needing additional support for care needs. Do you experience pain from neuropathy etc. Or eye problems. Also to consider are anxiety or depression perhaps caused or made worse by your medical conditions.

Reactions: Danie11e8

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hello everyone

I’ve just had my HbA1c back and was really happy it’s 49 as it’s a significant improvement from when I first found out about diagnosis. But that isn’t the point of this post!

My colleague was telling me that I should apply for PIP being type 1 as it impacts on my daily living. I’ve only technically been recognised as type 1 since July 2019 and don’t have any complications to speak of.

I guess my questions are:

Is there any point as I feel it might be rejected

Has anyone been successful?

Thanks all

T1 affects daily life so allows you to be covered by the equality act..

But when treated properly it does not affect life enough that you should not be able to live a an almost normal productive life and perform most job roles so as other say unless it comes with other disabilities then you don’t qualify for pip

Free prescriptions - yes
Free eye tests - yes

But that about it as far as benefits go

Actually 1 more

Free driving license renewals :)

Last edited:
Reactions: David_E

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I think I’ve written this on another thread , I’ve been type 1 for over 40 years , only got PIP 7 years ago after having my leg amputated, my kidneys only work at 20 % too plus heart attack with stent fitted , had op in my lung too , so I guess I qualify, however , my reassessment time is in process as we speak , I am still anxious whether I will get rejected, bit like blowing into a breathalyser when you’ve not had a drink, but I have to agree with the majority T1 alone doesn’t mean you’ll get PIP

Reactions: Joseph Cueva