Food idea for fundraising

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am doing a 100 squats a day in June for Diabetes UK (well I know it's not this charity). I am thinking of doing a fundraiser like coffee morning but raising awareness about LC food so I am keeping away of offering the usual cakes etc... but planning to invite people over a buffet lunch 12-2pm. I am thinking crustless quiche, frittatas (although I am not very successful at making those), mini chicken pieces cooked. Berries. My friend was suggesting strawberries and cream and tea. and scones for those who would want....

What would you like to see if it was you ? any ideas please.
Thank you so much peeps !

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not a low carb-er but I think a big salad would be good, buffets are always so beige! Cocktail sausages are an easy addition, or some sliced cooked meats, ham or beef or turkey or maybe salami or chorizo type ones. Sliced cheeses are good, olives too.
I guess it depends how much you want to spend really and also if it's a finger buffet or a fork buffet :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am doing a 100 squats a day in June for Diabetes UK (well I know it's not this charity). I am thinking of doing a fundraiser like coffee morning but raising awareness about LC food so I am keeping away of offering the usual cakes etc... but planning to invite people over a buffet lunch 12-2pm. I am thinking crustless quiche, frittatas (although I am not very successful at making those), mini chicken pieces cooked. Berries. My friend was suggesting strawberries and cream and tea. and scones for those who would want....

Easy one to make would be some zero sugar jellies in cups . I sometimes do Traffic Jam ones i.e. lime then orange then red.
Strawberries dipped in dark chocolate
Halloumi, red pepper, pork or chicken kebabs or mini kebabs are easy to prepare and quick to cook.

Good luck with the squats!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

What a great idea. I think it'd be a good idea to present foods that people wouldn't dream are low carb! Most people know a salad is low carb and including that sort of thing is great, but how about supplementing it with something people might assume is high carb but isn't...such as a low carb cake or pudding or biscuits or as you say quiche, (without the crusts or the base but a low carb surround). I know that many people steer clear of low carb alternatives in case they get tempted onto the high carb versions, but it sounds as if this fundraiser is about awareness so I am convinced that looking at a big old chocolate cake or brownie that is tastier AND 5 carbs a slice will be a winner. x

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I make eggy muffins - two eggs to a tablespoon of cream and about 10g (or more) grated cheese.
Beat the eggs, stir in the cream and black pepper, Place the grated cheese in bun tins and add chives/spring onion or ham if wanted. The add the egg mixture. I find a very large egg does two, large eggs use two eggs to three muffins.
Bake on 340F, 180C, gas 4 for 13-15 mins until slightly brown on edges and just a slight wobble (they set as they cool).

I also make an easy keto chocolate cake that doesn't crumble as much as some low carb cakes or an orange cake made with a whole orange (extra flavour with fewer carbs!).

This site has some good recipe although several of them requirement extra ingredients : https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all your suggestions. I have tested one coconut and almond flour which came out actually quite nice. Obviously they are quite heavy so small portions. However with the current climate and high number of infection in schools (I have school children who have been affected) I have decided to postpone my coffee morning. I am confident that when the right time comes with 2 cake recipes tried and tested I can organise something simple but none the less attractive. Thank you all again.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy and KK123