Hello From A Silllymoose!

sillymoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, lurked for a while but decided to join finally. I’m Sillymoose and I’ve been type 2 for 16 years, some good control over the years but mostly poor control with high HbA1c’s. Have previously been on insulin 5 years ago now but ceased this for personal reasons but looks like this is the way I’m going again…

Recent HbA1c was 131 in June, compared to 121 in March at routine annual check which was skipped last year by GP surgery due to pandemic. Bloods were only done again by mental health team hence the latest HbA1c at 131, this is the highest it’s been.

Lowest was 49 in 2019 when on Semaglutide, but this was stopped due to Gallstones been on all GLP-1’s over the years but all cause pain so diabetic consultant won’t consider them anymore due to risk of pancreatitis.

I’m overweight but have lost 50kg through diet and exercise alone still need to lose about another 60kg.

Blood glucose readings were sky high beginning of month in fact meter couldn’t read them and I was constantly drinking water and peeing, felt quite unwell, GP pretty dismissive and added 25 mg Alogliptin into the mix.

Long story short I ended up in hospital later that evening for something else and was given two shots of insulin, tomorrow I finally have my appointment with diabetic clinic (telephone) to discuss next step.

The shift now in things is my appetite is non existent so am taking 2g Metformin and the 25mg of Alogliptin and just one 80mg Gliclazide rather than the 320mg I am prescribed. I detest Gliclazide as this was what caused my massive weight gain when I was first diagnosed.

Blood glucose readings have now dropped massively probably due to lack of appetite, readings under 8 and also in 5’s.

Am using Freestyle Libre 2 self funding to monitor, am amazed at how easy it is and it’s worth the cost, always hated finger pricking.

Concerned about tomorrow’s telephone call because I feel insulin is the way to go again especially if I start eating again (binge eating disorder) so am a little anxious about telephone appointment.

Also recently diagnosed with Diabetic Retinopathy and Diabetic Maculopathy, so being screened every three months.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Great job cutting those 50kgs Sillymoose! Keep chipping away at it, i hope the rest will fall into place!

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi and Welcome @sillymoose

Congratulations on that huge weight loss and good luck with your call tomorrow. This is a great forum and has helped me enormously so ask many questions as there is so much experience on here from medication and complications to weight loss and even feedback on medical advice. You just have to ask

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done with the weight loss and keep the carbs down - you will get there. Hopefully you will also be able to reduce the insulin as the weight goes down. BTW for info Gliclazide itself does not cause weight gain but it enables to extra insulin produced to metabolise the carbs and some will be stored as fat; same with insulin.

Reactions: sillymoose

sillymoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My telephone appointment went well today, due to low BG’s now she’s reduced Gliclazide to 40mg and is seeing me face to face next week after talking to consultant. A Actually experienced first hypo early hours of morning.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

Well done on the weight loss- very impressive, It's also good that the low carb is leading to lower KGs.

You must be feeling good to see your efforts being rewarded with such great results!

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
My telephone appointment went well today, due to low BG’s now she’s reduced Gliclazide to 40mg and is seeing me face to face next week after talking to consultant. A Actually experienced first hypo early hours of morning.

Glad the call went well. Congratulations on the meds reduction. I have never (to my knowledge) experienced a hypo. What were the details?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, lurked for a while but decided to join finally. I’m Sillymoose and I’ve been type 2 for 16 years, some good control over the years but mostly poor control with high HbA1c’s. Have previously been on insulin 5 years ago now but ceased this for personal reasons but looks like this is the way I’m going again…

Recent HbA1c was 131 in June, compared to 121 in March at routine annual check which was skipped last year by GP surgery due to pandemic. Bloods were only done again by mental health team hence the latest HbA1c at 131, this is the highest it’s been.

Lowest was 49 in 2019 when on Semaglutide, but this was stopped due to Gallstones been on all GLP-1’s over the years but all cause pain so diabetic consultant won’t consider them anymore due to risk of pancreatitis.

I’m overweight but have lost 50kg through diet and exercise alone still need to lose about another 60kg.

Blood glucose readings were sky high beginning of month in fact meter couldn’t read them and I was constantly drinking water and peeing, felt quite unwell, GP pretty dismissive and added 25 mg Alogliptin into the mix.

Long story short I ended up in hospital later that evening for something else and was given two shots of insulin, tomorrow I finally have my appointment with diabetic clinic (telephone) to discuss next step.

The shift now in things is my appetite is non existent so am taking 2g Metformin and the 25mg of Alogliptin and just one 80mg Gliclazide rather than the 320mg I am prescribed. I detest Gliclazide as this was what caused my massive weight gain when I was first diagnosed.

Blood glucose readings have now dropped massively probably due to lack of appetite, readings under 8 and also in 5’s.

Am using Freestyle Libre 2 self funding to monitor, am amazed at how easy it is and it’s worth the cost, always hated finger pricking.

Concerned about tomorrow’s telephone call because I feel insulin is the way to go again especially if I start eating again (binge eating disorder) so am a little anxious about telephone appointment.

Also recently diagnosed with Diabetic Retinopathy and Diabetic Maculopathy, so being screened every three months.
wellcome here

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello & welcome to the forums! Have you had your face to face yet? Please keep us updated although I might not be able to help you much since I am in the US.