Glucophage and hair loss.

Kirktown

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I just watched a TV programme featuring a woman who had severe facial hair growth. Part of her treatment plan was to be prescribed Glucophage. Was I hearing things or could this be the same drug I take for Type TC3 diabetes?
I have noticed my own hair has thinned considerably of late but it might just be a coincidence.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello,
I just watched a TV programme featuring a woman who had severe facial hair growth. Part of her treatment plan was to be prescribed Glucophage. Was I hearing things or could this be the same drug I take for Type TC3 diabetes?
I have noticed my own hair has thinned considerably of late but it might just be a coincidence.

"Metformin isn't a known cause of hair loss. However, the conditions treated by metformin — type 2 diabetes and PCOS — often list hair loss as a possible symptom. Therefore, your hair loss might be caused by the underlying condition as opposed to the treatment."

Also, see THIS article about Metformin and B12 deficiency.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I normally suffer hair loss when I take metformin.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Worthwhile getting your vitamin D levels checked with hair loss at that can also be a reason for it too

Kirktown

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
"Metformin isn't a known cause of hair loss. However, the conditions treated by metformin — type 2 diabetes and PCOS — often list hair loss as a possible symptom. Therefore, your hair loss might be caused by the underlying condition as opposed to the treatment."

Also, see THIS article about Metformin and B12 deficiency.
Thank you so much. I'm on Type 1 regime with insulin injections and I also take Glucophage/metformin slow release. Looks like I will need to up the vitamin B12!

mummymerle

This is ironic I'm type 2 and is taking slow release metformin and my hair has been thinning too. Have taken metformin before but didn't experience it before. Must check the make of it

sillymoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Funny you should say this as I’ve noticed thinning of my hair and I’ve been on Metformin for 16 years, but switched to the SR one about 18 months ago.