Are you going to get vaccinated?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I have had both Jabs. I was fine with both Pfizer jabs, sore arm..Felt a little sick after the second one the next day, but nothing major.I chose to have it done because out of millions and millions, the outcome has been positive. I ignore the scaremongers regarding the jab. I don't want Covid that is for sure.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I have had both jabs AZ - first in February, 2nd in early May. Some side effects from first jab, none from second. My reasoning for taking this vaccine -
1) I am of an age and with an autoimmune condition (T1) that the current (admittedly still early) evidence suggests that the pros of vaccination strongly outweigh the possible vaccine side effects, or the ill effects of contracting COVID.
2) Again it is early days to have full evidence, but even some small possibility, that by being vaccinated, I am less likely to infect others is also very important to me. Anything that might help slow down the Indian variant (god forbid the new Vietnamese even more transmissible variant hits the UK), may assist avoiding a third wave here.
3) Until COVID, I was a lifelong expat nomad. Pragmatically if going forward vaccination passports are required to travel internationally, I'll happily comply.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In your case, is there any reason to believe that vaccination will interfere with your medication or following lifestyle?
Happy to report my vaccination yesterday (moderna, 1st jab) hasn't interfered with medication, although I did keep a close eye on my BG in case of unexpected drops or rises. All was boringly normal. No difference in insulin usage.
As for lifestyle interferences, I did turn off the light with my left hand instead of my right yesterday night because the injected arm was a little stiff and the lightswitch is rather high. I fully expect to be able to go back to my usual routine tonight.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being fully vaccinated has changed my lifestyle. I went to the open air garden centre today for the first time since the original lockdown. I had a wonderful time, bought far too many plants (is that possible?) and it did my mental health the world of good. Everyone was masked and kept respectful distances and much hand waving occurred among us gardeners and companions.

CaCl19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had both doses of vaccine. Pre first one bs 7/8 after went into the 20 s for a few days then came down to a level of 11/12. Insulin increased by diabetic nurse. Levels back to 7/8
Had second dose and the same thing has happened again . Hba1c done last Monday and has gone up by 10!!!
Spoke to nurse again and insulin increased again.
In some ways grateful to be protected from Covid. But also extremely hacked off at the side effect.
It was suggested that I go to site for reporting to yellow card

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had both doses of vaccine. Pre first one bs 7/8 after went into the 20 s for a few days then came down to a level of 11/12. Insulin increased by diabetic nurse. Levels back to 7/8
Had second dose and the same thing has happened again . Hba1c done last Monday and has gone up by 10!!!
Spoke to nurse again and insulin increased again.
In some ways grateful to be protected from Covid. But also extremely hacked off at the side effect.
It was suggested that I go to site for reporting to yellow card
I do recommend you report this. That way, if vaccinations become a way of life, they can alert people to any problems. Also, it mean they can inform those not yet vaccinated of any issues too, so they can prepare for them.

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good question, for me the answer is 'I don't know yet'.

I am retired in Thaiand have Type 2 but no medication since going LCHF a few years ago. However the vaccination plan here is shambolic to be polite. The government here states publicly that all are entitled to a free vacination but in truth they operate a Thai First policy on the ground. I have been unable to register for 2 months so far. Only 3 million of 66m Thai are vccinated so far and due to lack of ordering in time there are frequent periods of no vaccines so the centres and hospitals have to suspend operations.

Aside from that there are currently only 2 vaccines available, Sinovac and AstraZenica. Sinovac is very unpopular with the Thai as, well, it's made in China. It has not been authorised for over 60's till recently and is a vaccine of traditional manufacture, making it less experimantal, but has lower efficacy.

The AZ is manufactured here in a new facility and the plan was to manufacture all its own needs in country but in practice they are now 'talking' about buying Pfizer, Moderna, Sinopharm and Sputnik V, all of which will be lucky to be delilvered by the end of the year. I should add they talk a lot but do little.

So, do I risk the cheap Chinese one, or take the AZ and risk the possible but low probability of serious side effects if the xenophobes in government ever let me register.

Or do I wait for the newer ones to arrive and keep an eye on their performance? Eventually I should be able to go to a private hospital and purchase a shot of whatever one I want, again a long time away.

To add to my dilemma I am 66 and in addition to having Type 2, take blood pressure meds after receiving 3 stents 10 years ago.

Or maybe I should follow the sportsman and just wait till everyoe else gets their jabs and reduces the risk.

Reactions: ultradad

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my second AZ jab yesterday and feeling ok so far. Didnt know i was diabetic when i had my first jab. Bloods look ok this morning at 5.2 but was at 4.7 the day before. I found after 24hrs i was feeling a bit tired and had a very tiny bit hung over feeling but that was it :). So hoping its going to be the same again or less

Replying to toms post as i live in wales uk the ones with the least side effects (blood clotting) is the pfizer and moderna. Thery recommend those in wales if you suffer from alot of alergies but they doing things a bit different in wales but that could change as they gather more information :)

Reactions: tom_r_orr

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my second AZ jab yesterday and feeling ok so far. Didnt know i was diabetic when i had my first jab. Bloods look ok this morning at 5.2 but was at 4.7 the day before. I found after 24hrs i was feeling a bit tired and had a very tiny bit hung over feeling but that was it :). So hoping its going to be the same again or less

Replying to toms post as i live in wales uk the ones with the least side effects (blood clotting) is the pfizer and moderna. Thery recommend those in wales if you suffer from alot of alergies but they doing things a bit different in wales but that could change as they gather more information :)

Thanks that's interesting. I have an identical twin in Scotland who got his 2 Pfizer jabs months ago with no side effects, so that is definitely my favourite for now. Same diabetes, same DNA, less risky?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks that's interesting. I have an identical twin in Scotland who got his 2 Pfizer jabs months ago with no side effects, so that is definitely my favourite for now. Same diabetes, same DNA, less risky?

Where do you think you'd catch it though.. case numbers in Thailand are extremely low?

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where do you think you'd catch it though.. case numbers in Thailand are extremely low?
Agree if the numbers are accurate.

No one knows for susre here. Yes my chances are low living in a small village, but a vaccine would hopefully keep me out of hospital. A hospital stay can bankrupt you here if insurance doesn't pay up.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree if the numbers are accurate.

No one knows for susre here. Yes my chances are low living in a small village, but a vaccine would hopefully keep me out of hospital. A hospital stay can bankrupt you here if insurance doesn't pay up.

If you are metabolically healthy and your immune system is up to scratch even your risk of hospitalisation is pretty low anyway.. The stats are well in your favour.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get my second AZ vax on Monday morning, I had to cancel my appointment for Wednesday just gone as I had to be somewhere else at the same time.

fendertele

Sorry for digging up an old topic but was something on my mind as I've just accepted a job that will require travelling daily using public transport and working with students and i'm now starting to consider getting the jab.

Up until now my fear of possible long term side effects from the Jab greatly outweighed my fear of catching Covid and this was my reason for not getting it up until this point... and I have not been locked away the whole time either... I've been out shopping in supermarkets and working out in my gym 3 times a week but kept myself to myself but apart from this been working from home.

Now having to travel daily and interact with a lot of students has got me re-thinking it.

Im type 2, Asthmatic and have a pituitary tumor which messes with my hormones and weakens my immune system... right now im 50/50 but have the feeling once I have done a week at work I will most likely just continue as I have and hope I continue to be lucky.

M

Member496333

No. For me there is no informed consent because a) there is no long term safety data and b) any and all public discourse that dares to question said safety data is immediately censored and attacked by mob rule. That is not science. Therefore I do not trust it. Others are free to make their own choices of course.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for digging up an old topic but was something on my mind as I've just accepted a job that will require travelling daily using public transport and working with students and i'm now starting to consider getting the jab.

Up until now my fear of possible long term side effects from the Jab greatly outweighed my fear of catching Covid and this was my reason for not getting it up until this point... and I have not been locked away the whole time either... I've been out shopping in supermarkets and working out in my gym 3 times a week but kept myself to myself but apart from this been working from home.

Now having to travel daily and interact with a lot of students has got me re-thinking it.

Im type 2, Asthmatic and have a pituitary tumor which messes with my hormones and weakens my immune system... right now im 50/50 but have the feeling once I have done a week at work I will most likely just continue as I have and hope I continue to be lucky.
Having had Covid my fear of catching it again is greater than the fear of Iong term side effects. Having said that I am 63 so don't have to worry about it affecting my fertility etc.
I know someone who is extremely vulnerable who caught covid after being double jabbed. She was very weak needing bed rest for about 10 days, but is now fine.

The thing with Covid is it's like Russian roulette. You may not have been in prolonged close contact with anyone who has it yet. I hope your luck doesn't run out.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
No. For me there is no informed consent because a) there is no long term safety data and b) any and all public discourse that dares to question said safety data is immediately censored and attacked by mob rule. That is not science. Therefore I do not trust it. Others are free to make their own choices of course.

So what are you going to do wait thirty years then when the data is available decide wether the risks are acceptable remember with all new vaccines you are going to have the same problem long term data is collected over time.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
No long term data on if it’s dangerous, we’ll we know for sure COVID is, maybe the vaccine is, so the odds are surely in favor of having it?

Reactions: EllieM

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no long term safety data on being carnivore.