Glucose Ketone Index (GKI)

Tassiemike

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Michael here from Tasmania in Australia. Just briefly, I was obese and prediabetic for an excess of 15 years until I discovered intermittent and longer term fasting. I have now lost in excess of 20 kg and whilst I haven't tested my HbA1c for a while am probably no longer prediabetic. I will test my bloods again soon.

When doing longer fasts (up to 21 days) I would regularly test my BSL and ketones. I learned that dividing BSL by ketones gives an index called GKI (glucose to ketone index). This is apparently an accurate way of assessing insulin levels in the blood. A GKI of 1 or less is optimal. This morning (my 7th and last day of my current modified water fast), my BSL was 3.1 and my ketones were 3.4. This gives me a GKI of less than 1. I'm happy with that, have lost just under 5 kg in 7 days (though I'm aware I will regain a couple of kilo in water), have absolutely no signs of hypoglycaemia and I feel good.

My question is, does anyone else use GKI? Anyone got any research on the reliability and/or validity of using GKI to assess insulin levels in the blood.

What a great forum. Very happy to have come across it.

Kind regards,

Michael

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Tassiemike & welcome to the forum. I've only really encountered talk of the GKI in relation to neurological disorders & cancer treatment. You might have more luck if you post your question in the Low Carb Diet Forum :)

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi all,

Michael here from Tasmania in Australia. Just briefly, I was obese and prediabetic for an excess of 15 years until I discovered intermittent and longer term fasting. I have now lost in excess of 20 kg and whilst I haven't tested my HbA1c for a while am probably no longer prediabetic. I will test my bloods again soon.

When doing longer fasts (up to 21 days) I would regularly test my BSL and ketones. I learned that dividing BSL by ketones gives an index called GKI (glucose to ketone index). This is apparently an accurate way of assessing insulin levels in the blood. A GKI of 1 or less is optimal. This morning (my 7th and last day of my current modified water fast), my BSL was 3.1 and my ketones were 3.4. This gives me a GKI of less than 1. I'm happy with that, have lost just under 5 kg in 7 days (though I'm aware I will regain a couple of kilo in water), have absolutely no signs of hypoglycaemia and I feel good.

My question is, does anyone else use GKI? Anyone got any research on the reliability and/or validity of using GKI to assess insulin levels in the blood.

What a great forum. Very happy to have come across it.

Kind regards,

Michael
Hi @Tassiemike GKI is something that I measure as I do daily readings of ketones and fasting blood glucose. Mine seems to go up and down in a slow undulation, between about 1.8 and 3.0. I read that about 1.8 is ideal, I have certainly never been below 1.0! I don't remember when I read about it about a year ago that it was connected with fasting insulin, which I also had measured recently at between 9 and 10, which is too high really. I shall follow this thread to see if there is any useful info.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've seen it go below 1.0 for a few people usually when doing extended fasts. I don't think I have ever seen that in my own measurements but I might have missed it as I don't measure ketones regularly.. too expensive.

Tassiemike

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Tassiemike & welcome to the forum. I've only really encountered talk of the GKI in relation to neurological disorders & cancer treatment. You might have more luck if you post your question in the Low Carb Diet Forum :)

Thanks for your response. I'll give it a go in the low carb forum as you suggest. Cheers, Michael

Jjjohnson

I am currently watching my gki and my goal is to remain under 1.5 gki. And I have maintained that on average for about a week now. Are their any studies on longer effects of keeping this ratio long term?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Certain diabetes medications can be associated with a DKA event, which is an emergency medical condition. This can occur with BSL as low as 10 mmol/l so I would hazard a guess it could be possible to have a GKI of 1 and be in need of critical care. I would suggest that the individual readings of BSL and ketones are still monitored and take precedence over GKI index,

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently watching my gki and my goal is to remain under 1.5 gki. And I have maintained that on average for about a week now. Are their any studies on longer effects of keeping this ratio long term?
Many in the UK are told not even to test their blood glucose levels, so this sort of check is not going to be a common one.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently, it was invented by a company selling keto measuring meters (Keto Mojo) and was a sales gimmick for/ one of their meters. The company is called MyMojo Health.