Brushing teeth with hypos

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I hope you’re all okay. I’ve recently been having a lot of hypos (far too many for my liking!) and during the night I’m so concerned about the sugar damage to my teeth. Obviously I will always try to brush them when possible, but a ometimes if I’m staying with people it’s not convenient to do so if I have a low in the night, so I wondered if anyone knows of any edible toothpaste tabs or gum that might be a good alternative during these times?

Thanks in advance!
Jessica

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The advice I was given was to keep water by your bed and rinse out your mouth with water after treating a hypo.
If you are conscientious about dental hygiene, the risk of tooth decay is minimal - most of us are happy to eat between tooth cleaning during the day.

Reactions: EllieM

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just rinse with water. I can not be doing with waiting 15 mins to see if I need anything else to raise my BG and then waiting another 15 mins/30 mins to brush my teeth. Non merci :D

Reactions: EllieM

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just rinse with water. I can not be doing with waiting 15 mins to see if I need anything else to raise my BG and then waiting another 15 mins/30 mins to brush my teeth. Non merci :D
I know, it so frustrating sometimes!
Okay great, water sounds good, thank you both

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know, it so frustrating sometimes!
Okay great, water sounds good, thank you both
It really is a pain isn't it? especially if hypos are happening frequently. I don't know about you but if I don't have enough sleep I'm high and insulin resistant the next day.
Somebody else might have a suggestion for something other than water but I think as long as you give your mouth a good rinse or 2 you should be ok.
One thing I try and do if I'm hypo during the night is have a carton of apple juice with a straw and put the straw so that it avoids my teeth, and then have a good swish around with water. I don't always remember to replenish my bedside juice though, so sometimes it's jellybabies and a couple of rinses with water.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Now oddly, years ago. There was a whole "thing" about juice from straws affecting & localising acid decay on kids teeth?
A quick search on straws & teeth throw up contradictory advice on this subject..

So, during night hypos, I've always chased whatever eaten with milk.. It's advice from when I was a kid regarding hypo treatment.. (In a whole lotta "Janet & John feel funny" on hypoglycemia blurb I was given as an 8 year old?)
You'd think the calcium may neutralise acidity? But even that throws up conflicting dental "advice" regarding tooth decay & lactose.? Ho hum..

Personally, the Oral B is the last thing on my mind.
I just wanna fix the low. Go back to sleep, then deal with the oral hygiene a couple of hours later come the morning..

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Advice from my dentist is to eat cheese as it neutralises the sugar acids in your mouth, it would be a bit weird doing it at night, particularly when your head is fuzzy from the hypo, but my personal advice is to look at why you are going hypo during the night particularly as you've been having a few, does your basal need reducing, any ideas ?

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I just get rid of any hypos anything else doesn’t enter my mind, I’m lucky cos most of my teeth are already in water ( in a glass in the bathroom ) hehehe

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Advice from my dentist is to eat cheese as it neutralises the sugar acids in your mouth, it would be a bit weird doing it at night, particularly when your head is fuzzy from the hypo
One time when I was hypo I ate a dairylea dunker that had been sitting in an unused handbag for a good few months, I was too lazy to chuck it out and it seemed like a great idea to my hypo-addled brain. Don't try that at home kids :D