Raising kids at risk of diabetes

Doireallyneedanams

Hi All

I’m curious for diabetics with children, have you changed your kids diets?

I had suspected borderline gestational diabetes when pregnant, and I have two siblings with type 2.

I’m aware my toddler is at higher risk due to the family history and my GD, but there is absolutely no information available regarding this.

Generally he has brown rice, bread, pasta etc - he doesn’t have fruit juice or added sugar snacks, but giving a child a “low carb diet” definitely doesn’t seem right to me, though I’m not sure how much of that feeling is the conditioning we have all faced with this. Do toddlers and children really *need* carbs all the time?

I want to set him up with the right ideas for life, which will probably go out the window when he gets older but I can try for now! Equally I don’t want to hold back on foods that he may well require to grow. Saying that, there’s zero nutritional value to most of the carbs toddlers eat (pasta, rice etc) so surely it’s just about getting them enough calories & healthy fats at this stage, whatever they may be?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I regret giving my kids fruit juice (empty carbs).As for the rest, have you seen how much food a teenager needs?

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I had gestational diabetes and i was on insulin since my 20th week of gestation. When i delivered my child was diagnosed with pseudohypoparathyroidism at age of 10 months, this is when he was started on eltroxin. His weight was 15kg that time, so at this point i had to strictly cut down on his diet, no juices, no processed foods only homemade, more activity amongst kids as he had diabetic genes too. I am following same restriction even uptil now he is now going to be 5 years in september. I still have that fear of him getting diabetes as he has slight acanthosis on his neck. I make sure he plays enough.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

I’m curious for diabetics with children, have you changed your kids diets?

I had suspected borderline gestational diabetes when pregnant, and I have two siblings with type 2.

I’m aware my toddler is at higher risk due to the family history and my GD, but there is absolutely no information available regarding this.

Generally he has brown rice, bread, pasta etc - he doesn’t have fruit juice or added sugar snacks, but giving a child a “low carb diet” definitely doesn’t seem right to me, though I’m not sure how much of that feeling is the conditioning we have all faced with this. Do toddlers and children really *need* carbs all the time?

I want to set him up with the right ideas for life, which will probably go out the window when he gets older but I can try for now! Equally I don’t want to hold back on foods that he may well require to grow. Saying that, there’s zero nutritional value to most of the carbs toddlers eat (pasta, rice etc) so surely it’s just about getting them enough calories & healthy fats at this stage, whatever they may be?
I don't have kids, but there's a lot of T2 going around in my family. Thing is, usually when you limit something, they'll start sneaking it in later. Just be moderate, would be my idea... If they know one sweet is okay and an entire bag isn't, that might be better than no sweets at all and any rebelling that might ensue. I know keto can help when a kid is on the autistic spectrum, but if there's no direct reason to be strict... Moderation might work best. Just my 2 cents though. And again, I'm not a mum. (I was a very contrary teen though. ;) )

Reactions: EllieM

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have kids, but there's a lot of T2 going around in my family. Thing is, usually when you limit something, they'll start sneaking it in later. Just be moderate, would be my idea... If they know one sweet is okay and an entire bag isn't, that might be better than no sweets at all and any rebelling that might ensue. I know keto can help when a kid is on the autistic spectrum, but if there's no direct reason to be strict... Moderation might work best. Just my 2 cents though. And again, I'm not a mum. (I was a very contrary teen though. ;) )

I am a Mum 3 times over and you are EXACTLY right! :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My two grew up eating fewer carbs than most, they had fruit and fresh veges, not cake and sweets. When they could open the fridge they used to eat the meat, boiled eggs and cheese, and the individual pots of jelly I left for them.
Both are tall and slender.
I have been told that by not giving them sugary 'treats' I stunted their growth and intellect. I laughed.
My son is about 6 ft 4 and my daughter 5ft 10. Both have degrees and run their own businesses.
My son has 5 children.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed and went low carb my teens very slowly started eating fewer carbs. 3 yrs later they prefer home baked goodies with half or less the usual sugar and actively dislike overly sweet mainstream foods. They drink water mainly. Dinner has had smaller and smaller carb portions and bigger portions of healthy fats and proteins (quality meats, eggs etc) and lots more salad and veg. Fruit has swapped from bananas to pears, melons and berries. Overall it’s been done by example and explanation. My father was type 2 and my sister IR. Their father eats 500 + carbs a day but is extremely fit, healthy and vegetarian with a normal hba1c so they see a wide picture and choose to follow my dietary example and his activity example. Hopefully they dodge their metabolic inheritance.