Type 2 Glucose and ketone blood strips

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
I have to buy my glucose strips and keytone test strips could someone give me a place to buy them from please x

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to buy my glucose strips and keytone test strips could someone give me a place to buy them from please x

Do you have a meter already? Or are you looking for recommendations?

This is the information I have:

The cost of the strips is important as they’ll be what you spend most on so don’t be seduced by offers of free meters with expensive strips.

The meter with the cheapest strips is the Gluco Navii. https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/. https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips. Buying a pack of 10 boxes of strips using the discount code works out at £5.68.

The SD Codefree from Home Health has similarly priced strips, but is rumoured to be being discontinued at some point.

The Tee2+ from Spirit Healthcare also has relatively cheap strips, (although they have recently gone up in price): http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/ I got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order the meter and 10 boxes of strips and they threw the meter in for free. Phone number 0800 8815423. I daresay Home Health would do the same.

Also from Spirit Healthcare, with more expensive strips than the Tee2+ is their Caresens Dual. This can be used for testing ketones too (strips for that very expensive). https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Don’t forget to check the box (or mention on the phone) to say you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I imagine it's as easy as it is in Australia to buy strips in a pharmacy to just walk in and ask for the brand of strips you require.

If they pharmacy have a NDSS sign here in Australia just show them your NDSS membership cad and you will get them at the subsidised price.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I imagine it's as easy as it is in Australia to buy strips in a pharmacy to just walk in and ask for the brand of strips you require.

If they pharmacy have a NDSS sign here in Australia just show them your NDSS membership cad and you will get them at the subsidised price.
No it isn't so easy here in the UK .. most pharmacies sell very expensive strips and there will be no discount for a T2.
Better to get them online where you can get cheaper strips or a more reasonable price.

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No it isn't so easy here in the UK .. most pharmacies sell very expensive strips and there will be no discount for a T2.
Better to get them online where you can get cheaper strips or a more reasonable price.
I never even thought that there'd be a cost for this in the UK.

I'm in Wales and got my meter, test strips, and lancets on prescription.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.

My doctor refuses to give them to me in prescription unfortunately

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm in Wales and got my meter, test strips, and lancets on prescription

I think it depends on your medication and your doctor in the UK. Unless you have an unusually sympathetic GP you won't get strips unless you are on potentially hypo inducing meds - ie metformin no, most/many other T2 meds yes.

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it depends on your medication and your doctor in the UK. Unless you have an unusually sympathetic GP you won't get strips unless you are on potentially hypo inducing meds - ie metformin no, most/many other T2 meds yes.

Guess I got lucky. Back when I was first diagnosed years ago I was given my meter and strips free and was only on Metformin.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Outside of insulin, even those that risk hypos aren’t generally prescribing strips on prescription. When I lived in Wales the same was true. So unfortunately I wouldn’t say most other T2 meds, or even many.

What has also happened Is a change to surgery and the strips are cancelled. Is why moving doctors can be fraught with difficulty. Postcode lottery is very much a thing

I must have a look at the meter suggestions @Goonergal has suggested as I’m running out too. As others highlight meters are not the price issue. Strips are the major issue. I don’t know if they are significantly expensive to make or just price gouging :arghh:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As others highlight meters are not the price issue. Strips are the major issue. I don’t know if they are significantly expensive to make or just price gouging :arghh:
Testing strips are like printer cartridges "consumables". this is where the money is made not the meter / printer.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Testing strips are like printer cartridges "consumables". this is where the money is made not the meter / printer.

Indeed which is why most companies will give you a free meter when you contact them as they live off the strips.. I use 240+ strips a month

Most companies will give me multiple meters

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My dad did years back & he was on metformin..
Though we did share the same forward thinking GP at the time.
Lol, he was issued a fancier meter than me..

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My dad did years back & he was on metformin..
Though we did share the same forward thinking GP at the time.
Lol, he was issued a fancier meter than me..

It is very much a postcode/gp lottery. I think it’s a shame even if they said t2s could have 25 strips a month to to ensure there is no massive rise in overall bg