Pens while using pumps

Julia_JJ

Hi everyone:) Got a question for those who use pumps. Do you give insulin with a pen if the blood sugar level is> 300 mg /dl (16.7mmol /l)? I've heard this suggestion recently from the doctor, but want to get to know how is it going in your cases.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been pumping for about 6 years and only used pens if my pump fails.
I wonder if the theory is if your levels get that high there is a risk your pump is not working so you should bypass it for your correction?
I always correct with my pump.

Reactions: JudyLee

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Julia_JJ, should you use a pen if you're high? Probably. Do I? Not usually.
It doesn't happen very often (aside from some post-meal spikes) and usually when it does I've already got insulin in my system from the pump. If that insulin wasn't bringing my BG down (problem with the pump, dodgy insulin, bent cannula etc) then I would. But the problem is I have the disposable pens, and the problem would be the same with cartridges in a proper pen, once you've had that correction the rest of the insulin is only good for 6(? I think) weeks, so if I don't need any more insulin from it it'll end up in the bin.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
During my training I was told to keep a supply of pens in case the pump failed

I was told to do corrections on the pump and to use a pen IF the correction on the pump does not work OR I have high keytones

In all but 1 cases so far correction on the pump has work except the 1 time I had a bent cannula so I corrected with a pen then did a set change