Sarahjane41

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Rude people
Busibodies
Good afternoon I would like to know how bad people suffer with type 2 and very loose bowel movements sorry if too much information.

I have been on metformin over a year and on trulicity for 9 weeks, the first 8 weeks I have been constipated but added extra fibre lower carbs etc and it balanced out.

This week omg I swear to god it's been aweful very loose up to 5/6 times a day, cramps and unable to go very far. I've been reading up on diabetes dysentery, do we just bouts or is this a thing I will have to live with?? I blinking hope not!!!!

Anyway any advice I will be very grateful from a hopeful newbie xxxx

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon I would like to know how bad people suffer with type 2 and very loose bowel movements sorry if too much information.

I have been on metformin over a year and on trulicity for 9 weeks, the first 8 weeks I have been constipated but added extra fibre lower carbs etc and it balanced out.

This week omg I swear to god it's been aweful very loose up to 5/6 times a day, cramps and unable to go very far. I've been reading up on diabetes dysentery, do we just bouts or is this a thing I will have to live with?? I blinking hope not!!!!

Metformin can cause that type of side effect but you said you’ve been on for a year? Has it always been the case and are you on normal or slow release?

Sarahjane41

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Rude people
Busibodies
The normal metformin, I'm worried if I take immodium or something I'll go back the other way!!

Might not take them untill monday see if its them causing it.

Thanks for getting back to me, if it's just a flare up I can deal with it, if its long term I'll be gutted xx

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The normal metformin, I'm worried if I take immodium or something I'll go back the other way!!

Might not take them untill monday see if its them causing it.

Thanks for getting back to me, if it's just a flare up I can deal with it, if its long term I'll be gutted xx
Well, there is slow release metformin and that is often kinder on the system. I was on it for over a decade with no issues. The normal version I wasn’t on very long

so, there are options. As you say, it may address itself but if not don’t suffer and speak to the doctor. Its not an unusual side effect, many diabetics can tolerate metformin well but sone need slow release, others find probiotics help. Sone don’t tolerate it. But given you’ve had it a year it may be other things causing it

Reactions: Sarahjane41

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It’s easy to get in the habit of blaming diabetes for everything but, unfortunately, it does not stop us getting other medical problems.
It may be worth talking to your doctor to rule out anything else if it is getting bad.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin caused me no end of embarrassment, pain and so much washing.
I didn't need it, I just used diet and adjusted my carb intake to get normal numbers.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding

Hi @Sarahjane41 I'm just wondering how your blood glucose readings are. Persistently high readings used to give me appalling problems. As soon as I got my levels came within 5.5 - 7.0 my stomach would behave! I hope you get sorted quickly.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Since you've already been on the metformin for a year it may be something else like a stomach virus. That said it may not hurt to see if you can try the slow release version. I am on the slow release version and found less symtoms when I changed it to nightly rather than morning as I don't eat in the morning.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, you've been losing weight and low carbing, so maybe the amount of medication needs adjusting?