Metformin

briony1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone - has anyone used metformin alongside insulin to help with insulin resistance and/or weight gain?

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This was a conversation I was having with my DN on Tuesday. I’m trying diet & exercise first whilst she checks with the consultant that it’s the right thing to do. I’m already low carb so diet changes basically amount to dropping alcohol consumption. To be honest I’m not sure I want to take more medication, so also interested in others experiences.

Have you been offered a dietician consultation too?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i use metformin along with my insulin due to insulin resistance, it does not do nothing for my wieght ,but i am a healthy weight,i find if i dont take the metformin my bgs skyrocket .

Reactions: briony1

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I take Metformin with my insulin for it's other protective properties. It won't affect weight either way as that will be controlled by the carbs you eat and the insulin you take to match the carbs.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi everyone - has anyone used metformin alongside insulin to help with insulin resistance and/or weight gain?
Yes

My dad T1 of 30+ years recently started on metformin

Since he needs much less insulin and his BG is more stable

He also changed injection site which could also have had an effect

Lva1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on insulin and metformin (type 1) since being diagnosed about 4 months ago I have lost a stone without dieting. Think it is probably more that I am snacking less and eating proper meals more then anything.