Indian Takeaway Suggestions

Johosephat

Hello,

We're having an Indian takeaway tonight, and I'm unsure what to order. I know I could order dry tikka, but would very much like an actual curry (without the rice).

I've found lots of info online, but this info has often been conflicting so I hoped fellow members could advise their real world experience.

What have you found to contain the fewest carbs and sugars?

Thanks.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I have a very low threshold for carbs but when my lot oder Indian I have Tandoori King Prawn or Chicken (the dry spiced one) and cauli bhajee, ask for no potatoes which is as their menu states. Oc you could microwave cauli rice at home. I am not convinced about carbs in mains in a sauce but as always try and take a meter test before and 2 and 3 hours after and all will be revealed! Hope you find a way through!

Reactions: Johosephat

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Make your own and save money.
And it can be really low carb, that is the curry add which protein you fancy, a side salad. Happy days.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Too late now, but I've been buying M&S Chicken balti which is low carb. Then I fry some spices for a few minutes, stir in a little chopped spring onion and add a packet of spinach for a side dish. This plus cauli rice and a spoonful of Greek yogurt with mint and cucumber (homemade so no sugar) makes a great meal.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Make your own and save money.
And it can be really low carb, that is the curry add which protein you fancy, a side salad. Happy days.
When you cook every day, with no chance to go to a restaurant or visit a friend for over a year, a take away is pretty much the only chance to take a night off once in a while.
And, when your family fancy a take away, a chance to join in and be part of your family.
It's not all about saving money every day and every meal.
For our mental health it is worth having a break and spending time with others sometimes.

Johosephat

When you cook every day, with no chance to go to a restaurant or visit a friend for over a year, a take away is pretty much the only chance to take a night off once in a while.
And, when your family fancy a take away, a chance to join in and be part of your family.
For our mental health it is worth having a break and spending time with others sometimes.

Yes, I totally agree with this. I also don't want my family's choice of takeaway to be dictated by my requirements.

Reactions: Sarahjane41

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

I agree.... for some its the only escape they get.. so long as you try to be sensible and not go over the top which the shear fact that @Johosephat is asking the question indicates a level of trying to make a good choice..

@Johosephat
The good thing with indian is rice is separate.. also nothing saying you can't have just half the serving and freeze the rest for next weekend.. Rogan josh for me :) if you had half serving with side salad.?..

either way enjoy your little bit of care free freedom... if you want to feel less guilty you could do a little walk around the block afterwards?? at least that how i try to rationalise it