Painkillers & Low Blood Sugars

Schmoukes

Hi - I have sprained my pectoral muscle and am taking codeine and ibuprofen regularly. I have found my blood sugars dipping very low. I usually manage my T2 diabetes with a low carb diet and I’m eating normally so I’m wondering if it’s related to the painkillers. Anyone else found painkillers pushing their bg levels lower?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi - I have sprained my pectoral muscle and am taking codeine and ibuprofen regularly. I have found my blood sugars dipping very low. I

How low is very low? I would expect pain and stress to normally push bgs up, so this is very interesting. Hope you feel better soon.

jenfoolery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Some opioids are known to have a risk of hypoglycemia - particularly tramadol. But codeine is still in that family so.... maybe?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ibuprofen's leaflet mentions a contraindication when taking medication for T2 which you're *not* on: "sulphonylureas (to treat type 2 diabetes) since the blood sugar levels can be affected", so that might indicate something could be going on. For me, NSAIDs like diclofenac and naproxen have caused relatively low dips and the odd hypo over the years, while on diet-only. So that's purely anecdotal and potentially useless, but still. Thought I'd mention it.

Schmoukes

How low is very low? I would expect pain and stress to normally push bgs up, so this is very interesting. Hope you feel better soon.

Yes, usually if I am unwell at all my bg levels go up. My sensor is showing me constantly below 4, dipping down to 3.

Schmoukes

Ibuprofen's leaflet mentions a contraindication when taking medication for T2 which you're *not* on: "sulphonylureas (to treat type 2 diabetes) since the blood sugar levels can be affected", so that might indicate something could be going on. For me, NSAIDs like diclofenac and naproxen have caused relatively low dips and the odd hypo over the years, while on diet-only. So that's purely anecdotal and potentially useless, but still. Thought I'd mention it.

Thank you - I was assuming it was the codeine but perhaps it’s the ibuprofen…