What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: just before noon - corned beef and spring onion omelette with another waffle.
2nd meal: will be stir fried vegetables - no carbs - once in a day will have to be enough.

That's if I get around to a second meal today. Although eating wheat didn't cause the usual nausea and bloating yesterday, I was feeling pretty grotty and again today. Lack of sleep is part of it but can't be all of it. Got to sleep about 1 am last night and woke up again, short of breath, about 2.30. Got up and sat in the chair at that point but must have fallen asleep once fairly upright because I woke again at 4 am. Then I went back to be for another couple of hours. Feeling poorly enough to go back to bed this afternoon for an hour. Maybe it's due to the wheat, or maybe not.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Short answer Yes! Lol.
Are you growing the leaves in a greenhouse? How do you stop the slugs and snails getting them?

No, the leaves are outside, in raised beds. The raised beds have a narrow trench/moat Only about 2" wide and the same deep, and we did sprinkle pellets in there. Of course, we don't have any pets who might try to eat them, but the narrow channel might deter them anyway.

I've just harvested our garlic, which is hanging in an upright cold frame to start drying out.

Reactions: Annb and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, the leaves are outside, in raised beds. The raised beds have a narrow trench/moat Only about 2" wide and the same deep, and we did sprinkle pellets in there. Of course, we don't have any pets who might try to eat them, but the narrow channel might deter them anyway.

I've just harvested our garlic, which is hanging in an upright cold frame to start drying out.

My dad used to tell me garlic should be planted on the shortest day of the year and harvested on the longest so it seems you are pretty much on schedule.
The 2” trench is a good idea, I hadn’t heard of that but I fear Cornish snails would leapfrog across it, it’s so damp here I haven’t dared plant salad leaves.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch was a BLT in SLC roll with a dollop of H/m mayo.
Dinner was roast chicken, cauliflower cheese and buttered cabbage.
A couple of glasses of bubbly to join in Father’s Day celebrations and toast my dear departed dad with his favourite tipple.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast, 2x CWC, nut granola, 2 eggs scrambled with butter
CWC
Lunch, avocado on one slice of Pain kapnor toast, ( did throw away the other bread) smoked chicken, 4 cherry tomatoes. Cup of tea
Tea
Dinner moussaka, roasted cauliflower, brocolli and a few French beans. A small peach with three raspberries and three wild strawberries. From the garden, first this year. 2 glasses of rosé.
Hoping to make it to the end of the day still on Lchf
Lemon tea at bedtime
Took the cat out for his ablutions and managed to fall over a tree stump in the dark. Have wrenched my shoulders, banged my head and frightened the cat into spitting at me, something he has never done before, now he is refusing to come inside to bed.

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad used to tell me garlic should be planted on the shortest day of the year and harvested on the longest so it seems you are pretty much on schedule.
The 2” trench is a good idea, I hadn’t heard of that but I fear Cornish snails would leapfrog across it, it’s so damp here I haven’t dared plant salad leaves.

Give it a go. You only have a few seeds at stake. To be honest, the birds picking out the seeds was more of an issue, but some bumper windmills spinning seems to have remedied that.

Our salad veg are very pampered, they even have their very own parasols for shade. :) (I know,......... insane.)

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: roast chicken, one small roast potato, green beans and Brussels with gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by SF orange jelly, cream and LC chocolate and ginger granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Missed a day or 2. Heres what I remember.
Yesterday dinner : had visit from sister-in-law who was on a course nearby so tried her on low carb, fathead pizza with a range of toppings, salad and hm coleslaw in the side. Dessert was strawberry chia pudding. We did do a bottle of red between the 2 of us. Everything voted a success.

Hubby had to do the shopping as I'm still not mobile. He bought most expensive ranges, corn fed chicken, biscuits (!) Not enough yoghurt, too little cheese etc etc.

So today breakfast was tiny leftover portion of strawberry chia pudding, 1 slice cheese and 1 slice ham

L: coleslaw and prawns with half an avocado

Mid afternoon snack of cheddar cheese

D; 2 chicken thighs with salad,. 1 small ice cream.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve missed lots again so will go back to Friday...assume my brekkie is ALWAYS slice HiLo toast and tea.
Lunch Friday was a pack of Rollitos and tea. Remember because I gad something easy from the fridge due to having eye injection earlier. Also I needed something substantial to help with taking different painkillers. Supper was Indian t/a during the football. I had cauli bhajee and 4 Tandoori King Prawns.
Saturday lunch was small cheese salad with spoon of coleslaw.
Supper was panfried Brill, scallops and broccoli.
Sunday lunch was scrambled egg shared with my visiting grandpuppy. I had to wait for it to cool so we could start eating at the same time. Supper was beef strips stirfried with ginger, garlic, chilli, red pepper and broccoli.
@SlimLizzy hug for the tumble in the dark though I did laugh at Cat’s reaction, only to be expected. Hope its only bruises and you feel better soon.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally got around to making some food at 3.30 pm. So late, it couldn't even be called brunch. It was a kind of (mostly) green veggie stew with some carrot ribbons and egg stirred in. Very tasty. I had 2 RyVita crackerbread slices - they are wheat based. Today is the last day I will need to have wheat as I have the blood test tomorrow. From my lack of serious reaction to wheat over the last few days, I have to conclude that I am not wheat intolerant, so the problem is something else.

There still some of the stew left, so I'll have some more of that later, maybe with another egg poached in it.

BG is reasonable considering.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
After my blood test tomorrow, I'll get a chance to go to the fish shop again. It's still pretty cold here so I'll wrap up a bit warmer for that. Just received from Amazon - spring roll wrappers - not much carb in them, so I thought I'd give them a try. But I see they also have tapioca starch in them and that's a no go, so I guess I'll hand them on the No 2 son tomorrow when he comes in with the post. Also arrived some "long pepper" and some "grains of selim". They both smell wonderful and I'm thinking about how I can use them.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast today was ham and scrambled eggs sprinkled with nutritional yeast.
Stayed full until around 3:30 then suddenly ravenous so 1/2 pot low fat cottage cheese and some rocket.
Dinner just a couple of hours later was a carnivore one: pork chop. Part of the 1/2 pig we bought from a local farm. Very fatty but delicious. The liver from yesterday’s chicken fried in the pork fat and 1 chipolata.
Trying to increase protein energy ratio but I keep overdoing the fat.
@Annb I’d never heard of grains of selim I’m off to Google it now. Hope your blood test and fish shop foray is successful tomorrow.
@SlimLizzy ouch! Hope you aren’t feeling too battered today.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: chilli con carne with cauliflower rice followed by SF orange jelly, cream and LC chocolate and ginger granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Once again I'm miles behind. A combination of part time home schooling, visiting SIL, shopping, and trying to get all the passwords in a new mobile!
Saturday 12 June - bed 5.8 FBG 5.7

B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with Dairylea (taking boys to jujitsu early)
L. Nothing - out shopping
D. Courgetti spaghetti carbonara. Few cherries.

Sunday 13 June - bed 5.7 FBG was also 5.7

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast and pate.
L. Nothing - boys swimming lesson day.
D. Fillet steak with wilted spinach, 1 onion ring, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and peas. Usual campari and soda. Few cherries later.

Monday 14 June - bed 4.8 FBG 5.2

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with pate.
L. Nothing - home schooling again
D. Assorted cold meats - ox tongue, mortadella, haslet and roast beef. 1/2 avocado , tomato, mozzarella minis , curried coleslaw. Grenade Ice cream bar.

Tuesday 15 June - bed 5.8 FBG 5.4

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing
D. Deli chicken breast and salad of 1/2 avocado, tomato, coleslaw, mini mozzarella. Grenade Ice cream bar.

Wednesday 16 June - bed 6.1 FBG 5.7

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with salmon pate.
L. Nothing
D. Yet more deli chicken with the same salad as yesterday. Few cherries again.

Thursday 17 June - bed 5.6 FBG 5.4

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with salmon pate
L. Nothing
D. Boys here for dinner. Dinner for me eventually was another salad of poached salmon, some prawns with Marie Rose, lettuce, 1/2 avocado, coleslaw, veggie salad. Few cherries later.

Been a busy week revising everything I've been teaching him. I couldn't believe the passwords didn't transfer to the new phone so it's a slow task setting them up again!

Edited to sort the dates out.

Last edited:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, cheese omelette, tomatoes for breakfast.
A couple of chicken pies when I went past the pie shop on my home from getting my second AZ covid vax for lunch. They're not low carb but I do not eat the lid just to cut the carbs down.
Lamb bbq chops, green veggies and gravy for dinner.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
b: ff greek with seeds and 2 strawberries ( anyone else finding the quality of strawberries disappointing this year? Going soggy and mouldy after just a day or 2)
L: cold chicken thigh with salad. Hot chocolate made with cream and 90%
D: 6 King prawns, 2 pieces pork belly, broccoli. Half a salted caramel tiramisu !!
Hubby did the shopping again and brought all the wrong things! Think he's doing it on purpose to try to get me walking again quicker.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
when I went past the pie shop
Wait, there is such a thing as a pie shop??? :wideyed:
I'm not sure if I'm happy I've never heard of one or sad I've never heard of one but I'm pretty sure it's better for my health we don't have such things around here!

I had planned on my very nice meal of leftover minced meat/veggies/tinned tomatoes with zaziki, inspired by @AndBreathe , but it would have been the third day and I didn't feel like it.
So I had a slice of low carb bread with lots of grated celeriac and a large sliced tomato with goat's cheese. Both with plenty of mayonnaise and salt and pepper :hungry:.

Which means I gave myself the little present of not having to cook tomorrow, as todays planned leftovers are still there! :)