Carb Counter App with food database

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Hi Friends
Can anyone recommend a decent app that I can use to tot up my carbs to help me plan menus?
Thanks

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to use the Fat Secret app, but they did a a makeover on the app and the link to the main food database was hidden.

I now just use the Fat Secret Australian website food database for my carb infos.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used Carb Manager for a few months . Theres been an upgrade since when I don't like so much. I just stuck with the free version. The database worked best If you put a uk supermarket first eg Tesco double cream or Adsa burger otherwise it offers American stuff first

Reactions: Ktmpedro220

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I used one of those apps, I never trusted the information entered by others. It was frequently wrong or incomplete (calories listed but not carbs, for example) so I always entered my own information and meals to be sure of accuracy.

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been using the Nutracheck app - it's got a week trial, and then you have to pay for it, but it has been a real help to me.

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Thanks everyone, for your responses. I was hoping to avoid the tedium. I think I simply have to accept I'll have to do the leg work myself and build my own resource.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used Carb Manager for a few months . Theres been an upgrade since when I don't like so much. I just stuck with the free version. The database worked best If you put a uk supermarket first eg Tesco double cream or Adsa burger otherwise it offers American stuff first
I use carb manager. It scans bar codes and usually isn't too inaccurate. You can add your own updates so it builds your own corrections over time too if needed

If you find foods it doesn't know you can add to a central database But because user edits seem accepted with no checks, you can get a number of the same food with differing macros

So not perfect but suits me