A bit confused about my numbers

fizzy-banana

Hello :)

To introduce myself, I am a 27 years old women with a family history of type 2 diabetes (my mom and her side of the family).
I used to eat a ton of junk food and sweets and that kept going until my early 23 when my endocrinologist noticed I had a fasting blood sugar of 6,1 mmol/L and an Ac1 of 5,5%.
That put me off completely and since then, I am much more careful about my diet eating as low carb as possible.
Granted I am a vegetarian, so pulses and beans are still part of my diet. I just try to avoid refined sugar like the plague and try to stay under the daily limit of 100g carbs a day using Cronometer.

I have taken a few blood test since them and my fasting blood sugar was around 5 mmol/L. My endocrinologist said it was fine when asked her if I needed to go any lower. She added my A1C should be in the 4% to 4.5% range
I have not tested my A1C again though.

Anyway, I came here to express my concerns because I bought a glucometer (The SD Codefree one) and even though I eat less carbs than the previous years, my blood sugar rarely drops under 5 mmol/L and my fasting is often around 5,3. I estimated my A1C taking plenty of measures during this week and the verdict came out : 5.1 %
And if I understand correctly, I am still in the upper range of normal and should aim to have a lower value.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-is-normal-hba1c-in-non-diabetic-populations.130205/
https://www.breathewellbeing.in/blog/hba1c-a1c-chart-test-levels-normal-range/

But to achieve the ideal 4.5% of A1C, my average blood sugar should be 4.6 and there's no way I could achieve knowing that because I never (or very rarely) go under 4.6 mmol/L anyway ... :(
For instance, yesterday for dinner, I had 500 g of brocoli, 3 eggs, and a plain greek yoghurt with cinnamon.
This morning, my FBG was 5.3 :((

That worries me, should I go even low carb ? That may be difficult getting rid of the pulses and grains without compromising with my proteins intake, but if I have to, I can eat more fish ...
I noticed they spiked me a bit (6.7 an hour after) but 2 hours after I was back to 5
I still eat fruits and my tolerance seems okay (except for bananas which spike me a lot after one hour). The problem, I think, is that my pre prandial or fasting blood sugar is never low enough

I admit I havent been exercising a lot lately... I am only walking 7000 steps per day on my way to work, but should I incorporate more vigorous exercises ?
Now, I read studies assessing that non caucasian people (I am not) did have a higher A1C even among non diabetics people. But I am still concerned about the vascular, renal and other damages it can do to my body

Thank you for reading me :)
I just wanted to have your input

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The SD is fairly well known to read higher for certain people, me for one, usually about 1 mmol/l higher than my Tee2.
My Tee 2 aligns pretty well with my HbA1c so...

However as none of your readings are in the diabetic range I think you might be worrying a bit too much.

More fish of course won't do you any harm.. so.. agree that bananas are the fruit of the devil (although I do seem to have an allergy to them anyway).

Reactions: OrsonKartt

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
A1c has a margin of error. Since your in the normal range, I wouldn’t worry. I would say exercise would be what I would focus on, just so you don’t build insulin resistance later in life. Keep healthy and continue with your regular checkups

Reactions: jjraak

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Those figures are brilliant ! I don't think you have anything at all to worry about , I have recently heard that they have done tests on none diabetics and given them high carb junk food and their blood sugars have spiked at 11 ,.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An average A1c in a non-diabetic population is about 5.1%, some studies put it even higher. I'm on my phone right now so can't link but you can take it that an A1c of 4.0% to 4.5% would be a tiny fraction of the bell curve. Your doc is talking nonsense

fizzy-banana

The SD is fairly well known to read higher for certain people, me for one, usually about 1 mmol/l higher than my Tee2.
My Tee 2 aligns pretty well with my HbA1c so...

However as none of your readings are in the diabetic range I think you might be worrying a bit too much.

More fish of course won't do you any harm.. so.. agree that bananas are the fruit of the devil (although I do seem to have an allergy to them anyway).

Oh really ? I guess it's better that way. But do you know why we get varied results with the different according to the meter ?

Thank you, I will try to stop worrying so much ...

fizzy-banana

A1c has a margin of error. Since your in the normal range, I wouldn’t worry. I would say exercise would be what I would focus on, just so you don’t build insulin resistance later in life. Keep healthy and continue with your regular checkups
Thank you, I will do :)
It's not so convenient with the heat :banghead:
But I will do my best

fizzy-banana

Those figures are brilliant ! I don't think you have anything at all to worry about , I have recently heard that they have done tests on none diabetics and given them high carb junk food and their blood sugars have spiked at 11 ,.
Thank you or your reply
Indeed, blood sugar can spike after a meal even on non diabetic people. What worried me was rather my fasting or pre prandial smeasures

fizzy-banana

An average A1c in a non-diabetic population is about 5.1%, some studies put it even higher. I'm on my phone right now so can't link but you can take it that an A1c of 4.0% to 4.5% would be a tiny fraction of the bell curve. Your doc is talking nonsense
Oh thank you so much, what a relief :)

So it's not that worrisome if I understand correctly ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh really ? I guess it's better that way. But do you know why we get varied results with the different according to the meter ?

Thank you, I will try to stop worrying so much ...

Meters will vary quite a bit for anyone ... even readings from the same drop of blood will differ..

Someone did explain why the Codefree often reads higher but for the life of me I can't remember why.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

fizzy-banana

Thank you so much for all your links

But I am not sure I understand
"One thing to consider is that the Codefree is designed to internally convert the whole blood reading from the finger prick to a plasma reading, bringing it in line with the venous tests of plasma blood we see when we have our HbA1c tests."

This sentence imply the SD code free an estimation of the plasma reading, which is closer that the one we have in labs (the venous one) which is indeed a bit higher than a whole blood reading (from a finger prick)

Doesn't that this meter is more accurate?

From what I understand, it's rather the finger prick that tends to underestimate the blood sugar than the Codefree overestimating it.
English is not my first language though, so I may be wrong

fizzy-banana

So sorry to bother you again, I think I will ask my doctor to get a blood test determining my A1C just to be certain ...

In the meantime, can any of you tell me about the concordance between the A1C done in the labs and the one predicted by the Codefree (I mean, assuming you have done a lot of prick tests to estimate your average blood sugar) in their personal experience ?

Thank you so much :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for all your links

But I am not sure I understand
"One thing to consider is that the Codefree is designed to internally convert the whole blood reading from the finger prick to a plasma reading, bringing it in line with the venous tests of plasma blood we see when we have our HbA1c tests."

This sentence imply the SD code free an estimation of the plasma reading, which is closer that the one we have in labs (the venous one) which is indeed a bit higher than a whole blood reading (from a finger prick)

Doesn't that this meter is more accurate?

From what I understand, it's rather the finger prick that tends to underestimate the blood sugar than the Codefree overestimating it.
English is not my first language though, so I may be wrong
Meters use whole blood because that is what comes out of your finger. All modern meters, including the SD Codefree, apply a correction factor to give a plasma equivalent readings.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to bother you again, I think I will ask my doctor to get a blood test determining my A1C just to be certain ...

In the meantime, can any of you tell me about the concordance between the A1C done in the labs and the one predicted by the Codefree (I mean, assuming you have done a lot of prick tests to estimate your average blood sugar) in their personal experience ?

Thank you so much :)

Unless you are finger pricking a lot then you really won't capture much of the hbA1c but you could play with the HbA1c numbers here

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

and see if you can match your average finger prick to get a very, very, very rough idea (although it will probably still be different).

Belzedar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh thank you so much, what a relief :)

So it's not that worrisome if I understand correctly ?

Hah, your doctor's streak of perfectionism is worrying. Your health isn't. Yes, you're susceptible to T2, but it's clearly controlled and if you accept your new-found habits need to be lifelong, it'll probably stay that way (recognising that aging is going to increase that difficulty - but that's about three decades away for you. Even then it's not a battle you necessarily lose.)

And legumes, despite the rep for the high carbs, are encouraged. They have complete proteins, and remarkably high levels of fibre. In fact the American Diabetes Association officially recommend a serving of beans a day.

What superfoods are good for diabetes?

Legumes: Health Benefits and Culinary Approaches to Increase Intake

fizzy-banana

Hah, your doctor's streak of perfectionism is worrying. Your health isn't. Yes, you're susceptible to T2, but it's clearly controlled and if you accept your new-found habits need to be lifelong, it'll probably stay that way (recognising that aging is going to increase that difficulty - but that's about three decades away for you. Even then it's not a battle you necessarily lose.)

And legumes, despite the rep for the high carbs, are encouraged. They have complete proteins, and remarkably high levels of fibre. In fact the American Diabetes Association officially recommend a serving of beans a day.

What superfoods are good for diabetes?

Legumes: Health Benefits and Culinary Approaches to Increase Intake

Thank you so much for your reply :)

Anyways, I read somewhere that fructose could be used in baking and had a much lower impact on blood sugar, is this true ?

I am aware that it has to be eaten in moderation because of its toxicity to the liver as well as his pro-insulin resistance effect . But I was thinking of using it in brownies in small quantity (I use lupin flour for brownies)