Do you weigh yourself every day?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I weigh myself every day at home but I don't take the scales away on holiday!

I find that it warns me if I am consistently eating too much over a period of days.
My weight stays remarkably steady but I can see weight gain if I stray from the true path.
Weekly would probably be enough but it is now a habit.

I weigh myself after my morning coffee, dump and shower to try and set a consistent point in my day.
I write the weight down in a little note book, along with what I can recall eating the previous day.
It maintains a resource which allows me to look back over weeks or months, although I don't do this very often.

WasntMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefer to be guided by my meter. If I stay low carb my weight stays down and I don't need scales.
Sounds like @WasntMe problem is more that relatives are feeding her the wrong things. Perhaps she needs to explain that carbs are like poison or an allergy to her and she will not be eating them.

I did manage a pizza bought for me as a "treat" by only eating the topping. Still a spike but not as high or as long
Yeah obesity/metabolic syndrome has put me in harm’s way in the past so I’m trying hard to avoid it. First pulmonary embolism and now diabetes.

I have given them the lowdown and they are fairly responsible; it was just a one-off treat.

Reactions: MrsA2

WasntMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I find that it warns me if I am consistently eating too much over a period of days.
My weight stays remarkably steady but I can see weight gain if I stray from the true path.

I weigh myself after my morning coffee, dump and shower to try and set a consistent point in my day.
I write the weight down in a little note book, along with what I can recall eating the previous day.
It maintains a resource which allows me to look back over weeks or months, although I don't do this very often.

Yeah because basically I am on holiday, being here in the UK. And you just know that weight jumps when you let your guard down on holiday. Yours is a good routine though.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
II weigh myself every morning, start with urination, wash hands, weigh myself, blood pressure, temp, SpO2,.

I have a problem with fluid retention so have to keep an eye on fluid intake which I am rationed to 1.5 ltrs a day in winter, 2.0 ltrs in summer.
I forgot to mention that I record my daily urine output as well.

Reactions: Struma

jenfoolery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I weigh myself a couple times a week, but I don't always record it. I've only really been getting serious about my diet since March, and I'm focusing first on my sugar levels and blood pressure. I have lost a bit of weight since then but it's not my primary focus right now.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My weight is a state secret and I don't even know it. I do not want to be made miserable by a number that doesn't really have much to do with my type 1 diabetic health.
I am about 65-70kg at 5'4 but wear a smaller dress size than less muscular friends who weigh less.
I had to give up being weight focused and instead its now all about quality of the food I eat, plus exercise and minus the sugar and carb. That keeps me on an even keel and I then have to accept my body the way it turns out knowing I eat well 90% of the time.
As a trainer I try to get people to focus on other more reliable measures of health such as waist size, visceral fat or just feeling good in their clothes (not the jogging bottoms that we've been wearing for the last year).
I get it is a way to keep yourself in check and is easy to do so keeps you 'safe' in yoru good habits or accountable for your bad ones maybe?
Just doesn't work for me and seems to distract my clients weight too much!

Belzedar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay I have arrived in the UK and am quarantined at my sister’s house. There’s barely enough room to swing a cat though my son and I have some resistance bands and a pair of dumbbells. He’s a soccer player and almost 17.

Of course family are plying me with food, none of them are diabetic though both sis and husband are definitely looking a bit porky.

She seems to think that weighing myself daily is a bad idea. Like I see that I put on a kilo since yesterday because we had a pizza. I’m trying hard to drop weight especially since I had a broken pelvis (which is healing now).

What say ye?

Yeah, used to do that. Then I got smart. I bought a cheap pair of jeans a size smaller than I can wear and I try them on every few days. The goal is to get them to fit, but even the difficulty of the struggle tells me all I need to know. Scales are of little use to me.

Do you know that muscle is five times heavier than fat? I could actually be developing better body composition with a lower bodyfat percentage. And do you thing the SCALES is going to break the good news to me? Noo-ooo. No, the scales is going to say "Oh, dear! We're up 2 kilos on last week. Do you want to take another try? It'll be our little secret" Scales are the worst. They are to guilt you, to body shame you. TAKE BACK YOUR FREEDOM!!

Scotsdude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah, used to do that. Then I got smart. I bought a cheap pair of jeans a size smaller than I can wear and I try them on every few days. The goal is to get them to fit, but even the difficulty of the struggle tells me all I need to know. Scales are of little use to me.

Do you know that muscle is five times heavier than fat? I could actually be developing better body composition with a lower bodyfat percentage. And do you thing the SCALES is going to break the good news to me? Noo-ooo. No, the scales is going to say "Oh, dear! We're up 2 kilos on last week. Do you want to take another try? It'll be our little secret" Scales are the worst. They are to guilt you, to body shame you. TAKE BACK YOUR FREEDOM!!
Or perhaps use set of scales that also measure body fat.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes

Yes, I weigh myself every day and have done for years, now here's the crunch, I weigh at the same time and found my weight can fluctuate by 4 kg almost daily.
Therefore as long as my weight keeps fluctuating I don't worry and yes I am a little on the plump side .

Maris Piper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think waist measurement is more important that weight. My daughter, an extremely fit triathlete weighs in as being obese because of her muscles but her waist is tiny and she doesn’t have an inch of fat on her. I have a tape measure sent to me by the British Heart Foundation. It has one side for Europeans and one for Asians and each side is divided into Men and Women. The tape is graded by colour, white is healthy, pink is something needs to be done and red is obese. I am in the pink and working my way towards the white area.

Reactions: Larissima

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I basically after testing fbg step out of bed and onto the scales so yes I weigh my self every day just as I test my blood every day but that's just ny personal choice I find it useful others may not.

Last edited:

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BMI now 25.2, lower end of over-weight range. Checking weight every Saturday morning before having breakfast. Hope to reach mid of healthy weight range BMI 23.0 in July next year.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My weight is a state secret and I don't even know it. I do not want to be made miserable by a number that doesn't really have much to do with my type 1 diabetic health.
I am about 65-70kg at 5'4 but wear a smaller dress size than less muscular friends who weigh less.
I had to give up being weight focused and instead its now all about quality of the food I eat, plus exercise and minus the sugar and carb. That keeps me on an even keel and I then have to accept my body the way it turns out knowing I eat well 90% of the time.
As a trainer I try to get people to focus on other more reliable measures of health such as waist size, visceral fat or just feeling good in their clothes (not the jogging bottoms that we've been wearing for the last year).
I get it is a way to keep yourself in check and is easy to do so keeps you 'safe' in yoru good habits or accountable for your bad ones maybe?
Just doesn't work for me and seems to distract my clients weight too much!
I second this as a great answer. I would say just like cholesterol, the focus should be what the constituent parts of the total weight are. So visceral fat, lean muscle mass; if these 2 are optimal along with waist to height ratio, good things happen.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My scales give me measurement of;
Weight
Body Water
Body Fat
Bone Mass
BMI
and Muscle Mass.

All I find is useful information to a degree

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I weigh every morning, but I like numbers. I'm on blood pressure medication and track my BP as well, and since a conversation with the GP recently I've got a blood sugar meter and am tracking that too (pre-diabetes, probably. Retest in September)

My philosophy is 'my body my science project', so I do what works for me without freaking me out. Other people do what works for them.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not every day but every few days. I usually know pretty well what the scales are going to tell me and it's almost always good.....unlike my blasted BG!

I am working on that, making slow progress with tiny little baby-steps...less and less carbohydrate, more and more exercise, less and less cholesterol, more and more greens and fish and nuts and.....(sigh)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I weigh myself every day when at home but only record my weight every Wednesday. Bg control may be naff but I seem to be ok with weight. Some kind of success/achievement is important for all of us in staying the course IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I weigh myself everyday at the same time just like my BG I check at 6AM... around 6.30AM just before heading for the shower Ibstep onto the scales. I too get on my scale information about body fat, visceral fat, muscle mass etc and noticed that getting my visceral fat down from 13 to 7 has helped in greater control and a fairly flatline graph of BG unless I have been adventurous in kitchen :D