Metformin Experience

bazcom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Have had Type 2 since 2016. Previously been diet only, but A1c creeping up and tested at 68 about 5 weeks ago.
Went onto Metformin and increased to 2g over a period of about 3 weeks. No gastro issues. Healthy diet, plenty of exercise, about 1800cal & 120g carbs per day. Faux lows still going on. Typical post-prandial is now about 5.5mmol with predicted A1c (MySygr) suggesting about 36.

Any idea when the faux lows are likely to ease? I've got BMI of 30 (108 kgs) and am starting to wonder if the Metformin dose is too high?

Thanks for any thoughts

Barry

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What makes you think your dose is too high? Although Metformin only helps a little with blood sugar levels, it does also help with weight loss, so maybe good to stay on it for now. As for the faux hypo symptoms, everyone is different so no one can predict when these no longer bother you. I’m assuming you’re not treating the ‘hypos’ as that will just prolong the problem.

Edit for typo

Last edited:

bazcom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What makes you think your dose is too high? Although Metformin only helps a little with blood sugar levels, it does also help with wait loss, so maybe good to stay on it for now. As for the faux hypo symptoms, everyone is different so no one can predict when these no longer bother you. I’m assuming you’re not treating the ‘hypos’ as that will just prolong the problem.

Thanks Rachox. The main reason I'm wondering if the dose is too high is the faux lows.
Also, when I exercise (even if moderate walking), I seem to run out of steam very quickly since starting Metformin.

bazcom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry. What I mean is that I feel like I'm having hypos (but I'm not). I usually do my BG once in a while, but since starting Metformin, I've been doing BGs 3 times a day. I often feel low/exhausted, but my BG usually shows as 5'ish, so not really very low.
Metformin has been fine for me (so far) in terms of gastro/nausea etc. but feeling very tired.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry. What I mean is that I feel like I'm having hypos (but I'm not). I usually do my BG once in a while, but since starting Metformin, I've been doing BGs 3 times a day. I often feel low/exhausted, but my BG usually shows as 5'ish, so not really very low.
Metformin has been fine for me (so far) in terms of gastro/nausea etc. but feeling very tired.

Are you eating enough?

Your bloods have been running high for quite a while to get an HbA1c of 68 so it will take a while for you to get used to being at 'normal" levels like in the 5's. A week or so at those levels should be enough.. also are you having enough salt?
If you have ditched processed foods you might be a bit deficient.. I add a pinch to coffee and tea.

bazcom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again, so 6 weeks on from my previous posting ...

I have now been on Metformin for 6 weeks (includes about 2 weeks to get to 2g per day).
I have also been working hard on diet (about 1800-2000 calories a day, including about 100-150g carbs) and lots of exercise. I feel like what I'm doing is not crazy and is sustainable

During this 6 week period, I have lost 13kgs (2 stone) and my HbA1c has gone from 68 to 41. My BMI is now below 30.
Question 1 - is HbA1c change linear over time (assuming same diet/habits)? If so, my 12-week HbA1c would be too low.
The Metformin is not making me feel great. 1g per day seemed to be fine, but 2g makes me feel very sluggish and occasional tummy problems.
Question 2 - given the progress made, do I need to be on 2g a day of Metformin?

Thanks for any advice

Barry

Reactions: garyclark82

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also been working hard on diet (about 1800-2000 calories a day, including about 100-150g carbs) and lots of exercise. I feel like what I'm doing is not crazy and is sustainable

I'd say not enough food and possibly still too many carbs.

As for metformin why not try 1g for a week and see?
I gave it up after 3 weeks of being tied to the loo with it so you have persevered for a lot longer than I did.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin inhibits the release of glucose from the liver, so perhaps that is why you feel you are lacking energy when trying to exercise.
If you can control your levels with diet then there'd no need to be on medication which is stopping you reacting normally. My faith in my ability to live tablet free seems to be working for me.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have now been on Metformin for 6 weeks (includes about 2 weeks to get to 2g per day).

During this 6 week period, I have lost 13kgs (2 stone) and my HbA1c has gone from 68 to 41. My BMI is now below 30.
Question 1 - is HbA1c change linear over time (assuming same diet/habits)? If so, my 12-week HbA1c would be too low.
The Metformin is not making me feel great. 1g per day seemed to be fine, but 2g makes me feel very sluggish and occasional tummy problems.

Thanks for any advice

Barry
Fewer carbs, more nutrient dense food (fats aren't as bad as you may think they are), and cut back some on the metformin if it's making you feel unwell. (Mind you, I'm no doctor and cannot give medical advice, but it just seems like common sense to me.) Your bloods have improved quite a bit, which is more down to diet than to metformin use, so... If you think you can tweak your diet a little more to incorporate fewer carbs and more fats/protein, you should be fine. And no, a HbA1c doesn't keep dropping, or mine'd be through the floor now, after 5 years of low carbing. Your body won't let it, as the liver's doing what it needs to do in terms of glucose dumping. You're strolling down the right path here, well done.

alangdunbar

Thanks for any advice

Barry
Hey Barrie

I was put on 2g Metformin last year, and still in it..but making strides to reduce the dosage. 2g can take a toll on your bowels if you don't take it with the right amount of foods with a higher protein and fat ratio to carbs & never on an empty stomach..unless you can run fast !!! You could try and space your dosage out . You don't need to take 2 at the same time of day.. you could try spreading the 2g through out Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner or even try 1.5g (3 X daily) to see if that works for you.. only your body can tell you. And then you tell your GP. Owning a meter is something ALL Type 2s should do.. some can be reasonable in price and it helps you keep a check on what your GP cannot see