No more Combo or Insight!

EdTedworth

Is anyone else really disappointed the Roche/Accu-chek are stopping producing the Combo and Insight pumps from December this year?

I've been using accu-chek pumps for over 12 years, first a Combo, then 2 Insights and have never had any particular issues.

I'm pretty gutted to be honest.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh no, I wasn't aware of that! I like my combo :(

Edited to add - just wondered where you'd heard/read that, could you provide a link please as I can't see anything on their website to say that. Is it applicable in the uk?

Last edited:

EdTedworth

I've not seen an official Roche update, but there are a couple of discussions in the Facebook group called Accu chek combo/Insight insulin pump group.

Also I found a discussion on the forum that I'd not seen before, but I'm not allowed to post the link here apparently.

Reactions: Hopeful34

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does that mean they won't be sending out consumables too? My Insight was great because it allowed me to use cartridges pre filled rather than fiddle with tubes and air bubbles but it did go wrong twice in the past year for precisely that reason (piston caused the cartridge to leak ).
I am giving the T Slim Basal IQ a go hopefully with Dexcom G6 looping...Bit nervous about changing brand and going back to manual filling.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would imagine they'll continue to provide them until your 4 year contract runs out. I haven't heard anything different. It's made me think that my 4 years might be finishing later this year :( It's their cannulas that I like, would get very anxious with other makes.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have just checked and my 4 years is not up till September 2022, so hopefully they will continue supplying consumables till then.

Queenserene_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not heard about this but disappointing if that is the case! I have an insight and whilst I love the pump itself, none of the handsets to go with it have matched it in quality (extremely slow or impractical) wonder it that had anything to do with it at all. Will be interesting to see what happens!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just phoned Roche, and they confirmed that the plan is not to provide any new Combo or insight pumps after December this year. They will still provide consumables until existing warranties run out.

They are expecting to release this info to diabetes teams this week.

The lady I spoke to said that they wanted patients feedback on this decision, and they MAY decide that they will continue them, if a lot of people want to continue using them when they are due to get a new pump.

It would be helpful if you could post this information on to any Facebook groups etc that you are on, as the more people that ask them to continue the better.

Psychogerb

Sigh, another corporate decision based on the US market no doubt, just like the Animas.

When you say 'the piston caused the cartridge to leak' - is this the same problem I just had where the piston failed to detect the cartridge and just kept going until the cartridge was empty and I was covered in insulin? Roche are replacing it immediately but I find it a bit disconcerting....

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gutted. Been on Insight 6 years. Love the cartridges as partially sighted. And I love the black background with white writing. 80 year old Type 1/ very active.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gutted. Been on Insight 6 years. Love the cartridges as partially sighted. And I love the black background with white writing. 80 year old Type 1/ very active.
As above, I'd suggest you contact Roche and convey this, and I'm also going to contact hospital clinic and express my dismay as well.

Bobby_Davro

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been to my DN today as my 4 year warranty is running out and was told this news about accu chek spirit not being supplied anymore. I'm absolutely devastated, I've been using these for 8 years and they are so reliable, filling a cartridge is so easy, the list is endless on its suitability for my life and now I've got to have a re-think on what to use next. I've been offered the omnipod, medtronic and the Tandem.

I should really just stop panicking and just choose one but they all just fall short of what I want and need. I'm even weighing up just carrying on with the spirit until it just dies on me!!!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'll be in that situation next year, and having tried and not got on with Omnipod, have no idea what to do. Like you, the Combo is ideal for what I want, so I understand where you're coming from. Hope you're pleasantly surprised if you change to another make.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll be in that situation next year, and having tried and not got on with Omnipod, have no idea what to do. Like you, the Combo is ideal for what I want, so I understand where you're coming from. Hope you're pleasantly surprised if you change to another make.
Do you mind me asking why you didn’t get on with the Omnipod I am trying to find out as much as possible as my DN suggesting a pump.Thanks

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, I don't mind at all :) It was over 3 years ago though, so I may not remember everything!!

There were a few reasons:
I kept getting high blood sugars, especially by day 2 or 3 of a pod.
Lots of the pods were painful, and when I took them off, there was a hard, red lump underneath where the cannula was inserted, and the area round the cannula site was extremely itchy.
Couldn't wear them at all on my legs due to constant high blood sugar.
Even when I wasn't getting consistently high blood sugars, diabetes wasn't controlled, as I was getting massive swings in blood sugar, and sudden bad hypo's as if a lot of insulin had just been absorbed all at once.

The Omnipod rep was fantastic, and spent a long time on the phone and in person, along with the diabetes team, trying to work out what was wrong, but couldn't reach any conclusion.

I loved the freedom of not having a tubed pump, but in the end couldn't cope with all the problems, and uncertainty that the Omnipod caused. Felt a bit of a failure as the other 5 people that got one at the same time as me found it brilliant, but the rep said he found people either loved it, or hated it, and went to a tubed pump.

Hope this helps you.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I don't mind at all :) It was over 3 years ago though, so I may not remember everything!!

There were a few reasons:
I kept getting high blood sugars, especially by day 2 or 3 of a pod.
Lots of the pods were painful, and when I took them off, there was a hard, red lump underneath where the cannula was inserted, and the area round the cannula site was extremely itchy.
Couldn't wear them at all on my legs due to constant high blood sugar.
Even when I wasn't getting consistently high blood sugars, diabetes wasn't controlled, as I was getting massive swings in blood sugar, and sudden bad hypo's as if a lot of insulin had just been absorbed all at once.

The Omnipod rep was fantastic, and spent a long time on the phone and in person, along with the diabetes team, trying to work out what was wrong, but couldn't reach any conclusion.

I loved the freedom of not having a tubed pump, but in the end couldn't cope with all the problems, and uncertainty that the Omnipod caused. Felt a bit of a failure as the other 5 people that got one at the same time as me found it brilliant, but the rep said he found people either loved it, or hated it, and went to a tubed pump.

Hope this helps you.

Thank you, I am having huge problems with red lumps after injecting. Sometimes insulin works, sometimes it seems not to. Omnipod is probably worth a try, but I like to be aware of any potential problems! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What length of needles do you use? I know the standard is 4 mm which suits most people, but before I had a pump I was changed from 8 mm to 6 mm and got the same problem of the lumps and insulin not working. Changed back to 8 mm and issue resolved. The pump I'm on, I use the 8 mm cannulas, Omnipod was 6 mm inserted at an angle, and I came to the conclusion this was the reason it didn't work for me.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What length of needles do you use? I know the standard is 4 mm which suits most people, but before I had a pump I was changed from 8 mm to 6 mm and got the same problem of the lumps and insulin not working. Changed back to 8 mm and issue resolved. The pump I'm on, I use the 8 mm cannulas, Omnipod was 6 mm inserted at an angle, and I came to the conclusion this was the reason it didn't work for me.
That’s interesting, I started on 4mm but had so much trouble with going hyper or hypo they quickly tried 6mm and there was a big improvement (3yrs ago) but the last few months I am bruising terribly and getting red lumps. I have recently got microdot silicon coated needles as my nurse thinks it could be a reaction to the standard needles themselves. It’s definitely better with the silicone coated needles but not resolved so I am waiting for the chemist to phone hopefully today as my DN has prescribed 8mm silicone coated needles. I am having to do correction doses before bed and having erratic reactions. Unless it improves in the next month she is suggesting Omnipod. I usually have good control but am struggling this last few months and I haven’t changed my routine. Tried upping my Levemir but some days having hypos and some days running high. Somethings not right, obvious thing is the bruising and lumps. Open to any ideas. Thanks

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry you're having these problems, and do hope the new needles resolve them. Diabetes can be a pain at the best of times, but if something throws it out it can quickly turn into a real headache. Take care, and I'd be interested to know if the new needles resolve the problem.