Clueless

Rachelpoppet

Hi all, sorry me again, it’s now been 12 days since I got confirmation that I’m type 2 diabetic, I have suspected I was for about 8weeks now so I’ve been watching what I eat and have greatly increased my activity levels. I haven’t been given an appointment with a diabetic nurse yet. I’ve managed to get my blood glucose level down to 6.6, testing about 5 times a day. I’m living on chicken and mushy peas.
What I’m struggling with is my eye sight, I can’t see to read or work at my computer. I thought once my levels were down my eye sight would be back to normal. Is this normal?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m living on chicken and mushy peas.

Why? Peas aren't that low carb and mushy peas even less so..

What I’m struggling with is my eye sight, I can’t see to read or work at my computer

If your blood sugar levels are dropping then your vision may well change.. it takes a few weeks to normalise for some so hang on in there it will get better.. your prescription might change but leave it a couple of months before getting tested.
Eyes are one of the areas that are impacted by high blood sugar so as yours comes down they will change.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My eye sight is blurry when trying to read without glasses but its only been about 3 weeks since i started my diabetic journey. Be glad when it sorts itself out :)

Reactions: Paul Walton

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Hi all, sorry me again, it’s now been 12 days since I got confirmation that I’m type 2 diabetic, I have suspected I was for about 8weeks now so I’ve been watching what I eat and have greatly increased my activity levels. I haven’t been given an appointment with a diabetic nurse yet. I’ve managed to get my blood glucose level down to 6.6, testing about 5 times a day. I’m living on chicken and mushy peas.
What I’m struggling with is my eye sight, I can’t see to read or work at my computer. I thought once my levels were down my eye sight would be back to normal. Is this normal?
Don't panic. Controlling T2 diabetes is a marathon not a sprint. Have you had your eyes examined? If you have a problem with them your doctor should be able to arrange a specific test for diabetes induced issues.
You are doing the right thing by testing your BG often, but you need to find a more sustainable diet than chicken and peas. The foods to avoid are bread, pastas, rice and root veg like potatoes and of course anything which is sweet. Meat and most fish, cheese, cream and plain yogurt as well as salads and leafy veg are all excellent for BS control. Try different foods and test one and two hours after the first bite. You will find that some foods work better for you than others. We are all different. Above all don't panic. If you eat wisely and exercise your BG levels will come down and things like your eyesight should improve.
Most importantly, you are doing something about your condition. Well done.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Chicken fine, peas in quantity wouldn't be for me. Is this through choice or do you need ideas? If so, plenty on diet doctor - https://www.dietdoctor.com/

I'm getting through a lot of cold meat at the minute - from Lidl mainly, their continental stuff is excellent at the price. 98% meat Polish sausage... plus chops, bacon, steak, lamb from the local butcher. Lots of salads and curries.

Your eyesight might just be adjusting to a lower sugar concentration in the fluids in your eye - it changes how the light moves through. Mine adapted within a couple of days and my prescription didn't change.

Cmdm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My eyesight went all wrong as well as soon as my bg levels dropped. Really struggled to read initially, after 4 weeks still not fully back but definitely improving.

Reactions: jjne

aard

? might it be your eyesight problems arnt caused by diabetes? Maybe eyestrain from looking at monitor?