Fatigue

JGibbons

Hi all,

hope everyone is doing well! Haven't posted on here much but I want to become more active and get advice from those experiencing things first hand.

I have been suffering from fatigue, often after eating food and it can be quite debilitating. Testing blood sugars, the do go up and down but are for a good portion of the day controlled relatively well. Even on those days were everything goes perfectly I find that I experience fatigue after eating.

Is it possible that I may have another condition for this to be the case? Whenever I mention something like this it is often passed off as uncontrolled blood sugars.

Any advice would be great :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi all,

hope everyone is doing well! Haven't posted on here much but I want to become more active and get advice from those experiencing things first hand.

I have been suffering from fatigue, often after eating food and it can be quite debilitating. Testing blood sugars, the do go up and down but are for a good portion of the day controlled relatively well. Even on those days were everything goes perfectly I find that I experience fatigue after eating.

Is it possible that I may have another condition for this to be the case? Whenever I mention something like this it is often passed off as uncontrolled blood sugars.

hi @JGibbons

I often struggle with tiredness after eating and haven't found a solution yet. It has certainly become a lot worse since I became diabetic at age 54.

Take a look at this advice from Healthline.
https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/why-do-i-feel-tired-after-eating

Last edited:

JGibbons

Thanks for the reply @urbanracer,

I'd say both my diet and sleep are pretty good. I often get at least 6-8 hours of solid sleep but wake up tired. As far as diet goes, I can only think that an intolerance might be the cause or potentially coeliac disease but I am aware of how hard it is to get a proper diagnosis.

The hunt goes on but a food diary seems like it might be beneficial!

Hopefully I'll stumble across something that makes it better, it does seem a common issue

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As far as diet goes, I can only think that an intolerance might be the cause or potentially coeliac disease but I am aware of how hard it is to get a proper diagnosis.
As a type 1 you should get tested for celiac yearly, if it hasn't been done with your other bloods you should request that it is. I get checked twice a year, once at my GPs and once at the diabetes clinic.
I can't offer any advice on the fatigue I'm afraid.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I went through a similar phase earlier in the year. My Doctor suggested doing this...

Ensuring I do physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week (I'd let this slip due to Lockdown-related issues). Not only that I got best results from mixing types of physical activity (i.e. a minimum of 15 mins of walking/running and something else like Yoga/Gym Work, pick your poison).
Ensuring I took Vitamin D Supplements.

I did both and it didn't work straight away, but after a couple of weeks, I started to feel better. Like it's not eradicated the problem, but it's reduced a lot.

JGibbons

Thanks for the reply @urbanracer,

I'd say both my diet and sleep are pretty good. I often get at least 6-8 hours of solid sleep but wake up tired. As far as diet goes, I can only think that an intolerance might be the cause or potentially coeliac disease but I am aware of how hard it is to get a proper diagnosis.

The hunt goes on but a food diary seems like it might be beneficial!

Hopefully I'll stumble across something that makes it better, it does seem a common issue

Hi @sleepster

Thanks for the reply

I do get my bloods checked but often is a passing stage of an appointment and get told everything is fine. I will get in touch with my GP and see if I can get booked in, it's been pretty hard to get any communication of late.

JGibbons

I went through a similar phase earlier in the year. My Doctor suggested doing this...

Ensuring I do physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week (I'd let this slip due to Lockdown-related issues). Not only that I got best results from mixing types of physical activity (i.e. a minimum of 15 mins of walking/running and something else like Yoga/Gym Work, pick your poison).
Ensuring I took Vitamin D Supplements.

I did both and it didn't work straight away, but after a couple of weeks, I started to feel better. Like it's not eradicated the problem, but it's reduced a lot.

Hi @StewM

It's good to hear that there is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. I do often exercise sporadically, but probably don't get outside as much as I'd like so I'll bare this in mind. Thank you!

Reactions: StewM