Type 2 Insulin and potatoes

Taeholic_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I was hoping to get advise on how best to manage my BG and eat mashed potatoes with butter.

I'm very slim and trying to put on weight and I really miss mashed potatoes. I'm T2 and have been told to take 4 units of Novorapid 10/15 mins before dinner.

I'm thinking should I split the dose? Maybe 2 units before and 2 units 3/4 hours later. Any suggestions would be appreciated

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I find mashed potato , which is a high gi food , spikes my blood sugar so would think you would need the full dose straight away !

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @Taeholic_, mashed potato doesn't spike my BG, one of the very few carbs that doesn't :D
I usually bolus the full amount whilst it's in the microwave (frozen mash ftw!) so only a couple of minutes before eating it.

Taeholic_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I find mashed potato , which is a high gi food , spikes my blood sugar so would think you would need the full dose straight away !
Thanks @jaywak I always give the full dose so I thought maybe that's where I was going wrong. Or my timing was off because I'm injecting the right amount of insulin. I know a lot of diabetes is trial and error.

Reactions: EllieM

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @sleepster You are lucky you don't spike. I'll try taking my full dose a few minutes beforehand
Since finding that mash doesn't spike me I have a new-found love for it. Pretty much everything else spikes my BG these days :arghh:
Good luck with your mash, hope it's delicious :)

Reactions: Taeholic_

Taeholic_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Since finding that mash doesn't spike me I have a new-found love for it. Pretty much everything else spikes my BG these days :arghh:
Good luck with your mash, hope it's delicious :)
Oh no that's really tough. I think the slimster burger buns are the only carbs that don't spike me.

I'm very much looking forward to a roast dinner tomorrow. I love mash too!

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I was hoping to get advise on how best to manage my BG and eat mashed potatoes with butter.

I'm very slim and trying to put on weight and I really miss mashed potatoes. I'm T2 and have been told to take 4 units of Novorapid 10/15 mins before dinner.

I'm thinking should I split the dose? Maybe 2 units before and 2 units 3/4 hours later. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Hi

I have been told Novorapid takes 30mins to kick in and an hour and a half to peak, are you wearing a cgm to see when exactly or if you spike? I find the timing important. I am now on Fiasp as it’s quicker to work. Hope this helps you.

Taeholic_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I have been told Novorapid takes 30mins to kick in and an hour and a half to peak, are you wearing a cgm to see when exactly or if you spike? I find the timing important. I am now on Fiasp as it’s quicker to work. Hope this helps you.
Funny I was told 15 minutes to work and sake hour and half to peak. No I'm not on a pump but I test regularly and still can't make sense of my readings at times.

Even I eat exactly the same dinner, with roughly the same BG before and similar level of activity daily I still get vastly differing BG readings. Its a bit of a mystery.

I'm hoping to get an appointment with my clinic next month to discuss my erratic readings. Thank you for your advice:)

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny I was told 15 minutes to work and sake hour and half to peak. No I'm not on a pump but I test regularly and still can't make sense of my readings at times.

Even I eat exactly the same dinner, with roughly the same BG before and similar level of activity daily I still get vastly differing BG readings. Its a bit of a mystery.

I'm hoping to get an appointment with my clinic next month to discuss my erratic readings. Thank you for your advice:)
I had exactly the same problem when on Novorapid. Two things helped, longer needles and switching to Fiasp. Hope your appointment is helpful. Enjoy that mash potato!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
either celeriac or cauliflower are good alternatives if mashed with cream cheese and butter, and some extra double cream doesn't go amiss either

Taeholic_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had exactly the same problem when on Novorapid. Two things helped, longer needles and switching to Fiasp. Hope your appointment is helpful. Enjoy that mash potato!
Thanks for that info, I'll definitely pass it along at my next appointment :)

Taeholic_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
either celeriac or cauliflower are good alternatives if mashed with cream cheese and butter, and some extra double cream doesn't go amiss either
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try alternatives and see how I get on

Taeholic_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Taeholic_, mashed potato doesn't spike my BG, one of the very few carbs that doesn't :D
I usually bolus the full amount whilst it's in the microwave (frozen mash ftw!) so only a couple of minutes before eating it.
Update: I took my insulin exactly 5 mins before my roast dinner with mashed potatoes this evening. After 2 hours my BG is 0.1 higher than my pre-dinner BG. Hopefully it's not a one off. Delighted thank you!