Unexplained Spike

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, does this happen to anyone else? Yesterday morning I was down at 6.2 first thing then 6.3 just before lunch... then at 19:30 just before dinner it shot to 9.9 and 8.4 before bed...?

What the heck? all I had for lunch was a peperami and a babybel, I also had plenty of water... is this just a case of the body just goes its own way sometimes??

Am I becoming a bit obsessive? Am I boring you all :woot:

It was back down to 7.3 and then 6.8 today... I'm flummoxed :bored:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are many things that affect our blood sugars.
This is a good overview ... but there are more
Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 4_45_50 PM.png

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are many things that affect our blood sugars.
This is a good overview ... but there are more
View attachment 50145
Thanks, I'm not sure I am reading that right...there are arrows everywhere.. but the only one that fits is the protein hit from the Peperami... but everywhere I have read that meat is ok to eat, and there's hardly any carbs in a peperami.... how strange

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, I'm not sure I am reading that right...there are arrows everywhere.. but the only one that fits is the protein hit from the Peperami... but everywhere I have read that meat is ok to eat, and there's hardly any carbs in a peperami.... how strange
The point is that there is a lot more than food that can affect our blood sugars -your spike may have nothing to do with food.
And, as there is so many different things, drawing conclusions about food due to a spike once is unrealistic.
the spike may be due to stress, going down with some illness, hayfever, heat, cold, exercise, ...
Many of these things we cannot control so don't expect perfection all the time and do not expect to replicate the same scenario more than once.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're type 2 you're also more likely to chuck glucose out of your liver in response to insulin's nemesis glucagon.
That or the stress of eating such a petrol station lunch could have sent you to these soaring heights! Am being a tad sarcastic because its more Scarfell Pike than Everest..for a type 1 anyway.

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're type 2 you're also more likely to chuck glucose out of your liver in response to insulin's nemesis glucagon.
That or the stress of eating such a petrol station lunch could have sent you to these soaring heights! Am being a tad sarcastic because its more Scarfell Pike than Everest..for a type 1 anyway.
Apologies, I am still at the start of this, so my question probably seemed daft.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies, I am still at the start of this, so my question probably seemed daft.
No question is daft when starting out.. we've all been there and asked a lot dafter questions than you have.. rest assured of that!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No need to apologise. For a type 2 that might be a tad high especially if it stays that way. We type 1s scoff at your minor excursions up the blood glucose scale when we can go a lot higher just by eating an extra bit of toast or forgetting our jab!