KFC

elleyouer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there
Just received a rollicking off my DN as my HbA1c was 8.4% (Suffolk measurements) which I guess is way too hi. Have convinced my wife to watch carbs with me but was wondering for people addicted to faster foods when out and about how you get on eating things like KFC no chips just chicken, how many pieces can you eat befor it affects bg’s and what other fast foods do you eat minus all the bad bits? Thanks.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a friend who loves to bring fish and chips when he visits so I don't have to cook (I love cooking). I managed to stop him buying me a portion of chips and I peel most of the batter off the piece of fish.
Still more carbs than I want but acceptable - I fill up on green salad or veg after.

Reactions: elleyouer

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there
Just received a rollicking off my DN as my HbA1c was 8.4% (Suffolk measurements) which I guess is way too hi. Have convinced my wife to watch carbs with me but was wondering for people addicted to faster foods when out and about how you get on eating things like KFC no chips just chicken, how many pieces can you eat befor it affects bg’s and what other fast foods do you eat minus all the bad bits? Thanks.
Need to test how it impacts as it is individual to everyone, sone people can tolerate more than others. The other issue is often on fast food the 2 hour recommended test after food doesn’t always work as the combinations of fats and carbs in fast food can delay the impact or make it last longer

personally speaking, kfc without the coating is pretty pointless but some people find you can remove the batter and it’s perhaps not so bad

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I eat a lot of chicken and it doesn’t affect me unless I add sauces etc

The trouble with kfc is the coating around the chicken.. I guess just 1 price will have an effect on BG. How much will change from person to person

If you have a bg meter test it.. see how it affects you

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The particular franchise you mention I would avoid. They coat chicken is a carby substances and deep fry; have you ever squeezed one of their products.

You'd be better off going to one of the big supermarkets and buying the warm chicken from the counter. I have had good results with the occasional Nandos as well.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maccy D's and Burger King will happily sell you burgers without the buns.
Personally I find UK KFC completely disgusting something to do with the seed oils its cooked in I guess .. which won't be doing you or your body any favours either

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On midweek days when we can’t be bothered to cook then we may get kebabs - I have mine without the bread so have lamb and salad with chilli sauce.

You might find Nando’s is better than KFC as there isn’t the same coating.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T/a Coated chicken or fish is problematic and not worth it, chips just a no. That said I do have a very occasional battered fish only when at the seaside and dont eat all the batter. We often have an Indian t/a and I choose Tandoori dry spiced chicken or King Prawns or. Chicken Shaslik with accompanying cauliflower bhajee or any veg other than potatoes and swerve the rice and nan bread. As regards Chinese I either do a tasty stir fry at home or another thing I like is Peking Duck pack from Sainsbury with together with lots of chopped spring onions and cucumber and a little sauce is really good BUT no pancakes. There are wraps called Lo Dough available (Amazon or their own website) which can be used as wraps, pizza bases, quiche or pie bases etc. Personally I find a shredded half crispy duck with greens very filling. The other option which will open up all sorts of possibilities is to google Keto fried chicken recipe or preface whatever recipe with Keto. I am very very reactive to carbs but use of your BG meter will tell your tolerance. Hope this helps.

elleyouer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the extremely helpful advice guys and gals

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I eat everything with any take away, buns and chips with Mac Donald’s, chips, chicken and beans with kfc, fish and chips and all the batter. Pizza. I can eat take away food ok I just struggle with me cooking stuff.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat everything with any take away, buns and chips with Mac Donald’s, chips, chicken and beans with kfc, fish and chips and all the batter. Pizza. I can eat take away food ok I just struggle with me cooking stuff.
Yes, but you are having to take medication to control your blood glucose. That is your choice of course but less carbs and less medication might be a better long term strategy.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I try to avoid anything fried these days. I’ll take the McSalad with a McWhey to wash it down

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally KFC is my fast food of choice - not any other of the "southern fried chicken" brands. The coating is a small amount of flour with herbs & spices. (not like other southern fried which is breadcrumbed) I just have the chicken & occasionally some gravy, and it doesn't affect my BG's, but it's cooked in a pressurised fryer to force the (vegetable shortening) into the meat to make it tender. My knowledge? I used to work for a company that had KFC franchises and have been behind the scenes

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe a KFC fan could look through this document and recommend the best low carb choice.

Attachments

• nutrition-allergens.pdf
    676 KB · Views: 239

elleyouer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Wow! Don’t your readings go haywire? Even with all the meds I’m on my levels would be in the 20’s.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Wow! Don’t your readings go haywire? Even with all the meds I’m on my levels would be in the 20’s.
These are really the only foods I can say I enjoy. I just struggle with savoury food.