Is this normal?

Killi123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
Just wondering if this is normal in T1. Recently around 4.30 to 5.30 in the morning I start to have a sick feeling in the stomach. I am never sick but it does wake me up. I then do a scan and usually my BG levels go up!! Is this normal in type 1.
Many thanks
Kate

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Not sure about the sick feeling at all, but the levels rising sounds as though it could be the dawn phenomena, when the liver dumps sugar as you wake up.

Out of interest, have you ever tested ketones when this happens?

Killi123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I haven't, should I do a test.
And what is a dawn phenomena?
Thank you

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
No I haven't, should I do a test.
And what is a dawn phenomena?
Thank you

I only ask about the ketones because sometimes I feel a bit queasy when I have low levels of ketones, but not sure whether that has any relevance to your situation. It's probably something you should ask your diabetic team or GP, as it may not even be diabetic related.

The dawn phenomena happens when you wake up and your liver decides that you need extra energy (aka sugar or glycogen) to help you start the day.
Dawn Phenomenon (Liver Dump) - Causes of Dawn Phenomenon & Treatment (diabetes.co.uk)

Killi123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will do a test now. Also will check with my diabetic team.
Thank you for your advice.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Killi123 It doesn't sound normal, it could be acid reflux or DP or something else, regardless I would get it checked with your GP.

Reactions: EllieM