Type 1'stars R Us

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all. Lovely day catching up yesterday, but it was very grey, drizzly and freezing cold. We soldiered on talking and walking. When I got home had to put big fluffy dressing gown on and eat a bowl of soup. Today sunny again. Typical! It was interesting hearing how they had all coped during lockdown. But are still been very cautious now even with double jabs.
Have a super sugar happy Tuesday all.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It is great to see people again isn't it. We had our first larger gathering of our vegetarian club. Still only about 20 people when we used to have about 50. But we met at a restaurant that has seating outside. Gatherings of up to 25 outside have always been allowed as long as you wore a mask or socially distanced, as we never had a lot of cases, (except for short periods when they started letting in tourists easier). But no one had wanted to meet until now. We have another planned next month.

We have one of the highest vaccination rates in the nation on our island and only a case(s) every few days even with tourists now so things have loosened up some. But everyone is still pretty protective because we have a lot of multi generational households, the young who aren't vaccinated and the elderly who can still get sick.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Lol, my husband went to Costco which is a membership club warehouse store. They like to sell things in larger quantities and he wanted his water and a few other things that were on sale.

He knows I like white nectarines and brought home a flat they had on sale. But white nectarines only last a few days once ripe so I will either need to freeze or make nectarine "sauce" like apple sauce lol. That sounds delicious anyways. But he also brought home a small crate of navel oranges because he knows I like to juice the local mountain oranges and drink some when I trend low. Navel oranges are easier to peel, but I don't think they juice well, they supposedly can get bitter. I don't know if I ever tried to juice a navel orange, I might try and see what it tastes like. Because I have a small crate now lol.............his heart was in the right spot and he was very proud of himself.

Reactions: hh1 and karen8967

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Antje77 I did peaches the first time because I had an excess of peaches. You can make your own easily. If case you've never made your own "fruit sauce". Really the easiest way is throwing cut up bigger chunks with a little water in a saucepan on the stove and simmer on low/med for a while. until fully soft. Chunk sizes depends on how chunky you like it, as it cooks down. Apples require some water in cooking, peaches only a tad and in the micro not at all. Mangos, apples and peaches also do well with a bunch of cinnamon thrown in. If it's a tart peach or apple you can add some stevia,

The microwave does not work well for larger amounts, but for a bowl of one or two peaches, apples etc it's nice. But it likes to boil over easy so use a lot bigger /deeper bowl than you think you need. Stir a few times in between. It's delicious hot on a scoop of vanilla ice cream!!!!!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I did peaches the first time because I had an excess of peaches. You can make your own easily. If case you've never made your own "fruit sauce". Really the easiest way is throwing cut up bigger chunks with a little water in a saucepan on the stove and simmer on low/med for a while. until fully soft. Chunk sizes depends on how chunky you like it, as it cooks down. Apples require some water in cooking, peaches only a tad and in the micro not at all. Mangos, apples and peaches also do well with a bunch of cinnamon thrown in. If it's a tart peach or apple you can add some stevia,

The microwave does not work well for larger amounts, but for a bowl of one or two peaches, apples etc it's nice. But it likes to boil over easy so use a lot bigger /deeper bowl than you think you need. Stir a few times in between. It's delicious hot on a scoop of vanilla ice cream!!!!!
Sadly, I'm one of those LADA's with serious insulin resistance so I found it impossible to dose for foods like this unless I stick to a single mouthful.
Still, I'm very happy to also be one of those people thoroughly enjoying reading about food or watching shows like GBBO :hungry:
It's bedtime for me, and I'm going to try to dream of icecream with peaches and mangoes!

Reactions: hh1

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Antje77 I knew you low carbed. But I am curious do you never eat whole fruits? I know some low carbers don't go near fruits at all. Some just eat berries, which would work for this too.

Reactions: Antje77

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, not sure where this week's gone. Went to a funeral on Tuesday, the oldest resident in our village who died at 96, a lovely woman. Still living in her own home, with help. Sad to see her go though if I made it to 96 I'd think I'd done brilliantly!

Bored with keep being rained off by unexpected weather, hope it's dry today. Have a good day all.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I knew you low carbed. But I am curious do you never eat whole fruits? I know some low carbers don't go near fruits at all. Some just eat berries, which would work for this too.
Strawberries when it's their time of year. Very lucky strawberries are sold at the roadside close by, they taste much better than the store bought ones because they are only picked when they're ripe and sold the next day :)

When swimming an apple sits beside my libre reader on the poolside. I usually start to drop after 35 minutes so I'll munch a couple of bites without even getting out of the water. If I'm lucky I need some more after getting out of the pool before driving home. the rest of the apple goes to the chickens or guinea pigs.
At my local pool everyone is used to this weird person eating their apple while swimming by now :hilarious:.

And I'm very lucky to have guinea pigs, it means I can steal a bite from their fruit without needing to eat the whole fruit! So this week I've enjoyed pear and watermelon, albeit in single bites :hungry:

I'm thinking of icecream with warm straberry sauce now, which sounds very attractive!

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning everyone. Fruit sauce, I like bits of root ginger mixed into the apple chunks when making it, and definitely have to strain the blackberries. Nothing worse than spending a few hours removing pips from teeth.
I missed the start of the talk, it was husband’s birthday yesterday and I got him a very very gooey chocolate cake (37 carbs per 10% of the whole cake). Lots of pseudo measuring plus debating whether to up the half unit dose or lower it. Then the problem of how to divide the split dose for his supper choice of takeaway fish and chips. He had a good day, which is what really mattered. (And I didn’t go disastrously high or low.) We’ll share the rest of the cake with older daughter an son-outlaw when they call in Sunday. It’ll have to be in the garden as there are a few cases and classes isolating at her work. Hope it’s not raining. It’s such a shame that younger daughter and her family won’t be here too, but good they’re safe and well so far.
I’m envying your low case numbers in Hawaii @Marie 2
The raspberries are just beginning to ripen but they taste very watery after all the rain. Come on sun! Come back!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Oh dear, chips at lunch, large slice of chocolate gateau in the afternoon and blood sugars up at 16.2 this evening. In the words of **** Emery, "I think I got it wrong again dad".

Edit: celebrity's name falling foul of the word filter there. :):)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone have a good weekend
FB_IMG_1623902626785.jpg

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I've been to a proper social event! Go me! A couple in the village had invited some of us over for supper and drinks in their garden. Less than 30 of us but it felt like loads of people compared with what we've been used to, and it was great. We all sat down and were each served a plate of food by our hosts and they were very good about all the required stuff, and it was fab! I did miscalculate on the carb front, though not quite as badly as you @urbanracer, but then I didn't have choclate gateau either :hilarious: It reminded me how much I've missed getting together like that, though I'm still luckier than lots of people, just by virtue of where I live.

Fairly sunny today so I'm making the most of it. Have a good weekend all.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
How's the thumb recovering, @urbanracer ?

Regular Tuesday afternoon appointments now but consultant wasnt there for the last one.
The wound is almost dry and its filling in nicely although it's not going to look good when the bandages finally come off.