Hi new Diabuddies

Lisa69free

The 7th of June I was rushed into hospital. My daughter felt it strange that I hadn't replied to any messages that day and came to check on me. I was unresponsive, difficulties with breathing and so sleepy. Spent a few days in ICU being fed through a tube, drips and many treatments I began feel better every day. Towards the back end of the week I was moved to a standard ward for a couple of days before being sent home.

I'm type 1 and didn't know I had diabetes before going in hospital. I'm learning how to control food/insulin and I'm grateful for the chance to get things right. I have found my eyesight has changed and after going to opticians last week, after only a year the changes were dramatic and new glasses are being collected this weekend.

It's been a tough couple of weeks but I'm so glad my daughter came to check on me otherwise it could have been curtains for me.

Reactions: urbanracer

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
The 7th of June I was rushed into hospital. My daughter felt it strange that I hadn't replied to any messages that day and came to check on me. I was unresponsive, difficulties with breathing and so sleepy. Spent a few days in ICU being fed through a tube, drips and many treatments I began feel better every day. Towards the back end of the week I was moved to a standard ward for a couple of days before being sent home.

I'm type 1 and didn't know I had diabetes before going in hospital. I'm learning how to control food/insulin and I'm grateful for the chance to get things right. I have found my eyesight has changed and after going to opticians last week, after only a year the changes were dramatic and new glasses are being collected this weekend.

It's been a tough couple of weeks but I'm so glad my daughter came to check on me otherwise it could have been curtains for me.

Wow! Welcome to our gang - it's very exclusive.

High blood sugars can cause distortion of the eye lens but it normally returns to its previous shape when your blood sugar levels come down. Kinda surprised that the optician didn't tell you this.

Glad you're feeling chipper!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the club.
You certainly had a dramatic initiation.
It is common to experience eye sight problems when first diagnosed and the advice is to NOT get new glasses as this is likely to be temporary as your eyes adjust to lower blood sugars. A reputable optician should know this and discourage you from wasting money on new specs. Some of us used Ready Readers to get over the temporary change,

Lisa69free

I went to Specsavers and the optician said my eyesight had probably changed before I was admitted but the water on my lens appeared to make it seem like nothing was wrong. Crikey, well if they change again I won't hesitate to complain as I could have the wrong prescription

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lisa, welcome and you're in the right place for brilliant advice and support! Sounds like a really rough ride to find out you're T1, glad you're feeling better and good luck finding your feet with it all.

Reactions: jjne and Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Lisa69free Welcome to the forum :)

It is a great shock getting the diagnosis, but it's really how you respond which will shape the future, learning as much as you can helps to know what to expect, but also getting some mental support too is vital so lean on friends and family, talk about your feelings and use this forum too, we've all been there in one way or another so knowing your not alone and can get support helps.

I still remember my diagnosis and the emotions that came with it, now it's all intuitive but I still get the odd surprise here and there. Please shout if you need anything :)

Reactions: jjne and JMoli

Lisa69free

Thank you all so much for the kind words and the warm welcome. Yes it's definitely been an emotional rollercoaster. Spend many an evening sobbing or so happy that I have another chance. A lot of my friends are T2 and I can't relate to them and their experiences so I'm glad I joined the forum.

Tonight I'm being treated to a meal out with a friend to an Indian restaurant. I'm going to try order low carb. Try bulk up on extra veg dishes if I can. I'll miss the naan bread but can't work out my insulin without stats

jjne

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry to hear about your shock, it kinda puts my story in its proper perspective I have to say.

One possible avenue you could go down with respect to the glasses, if you want done extra clarity in the short term might be to buy a pair of very cheap online glasses with the new prescription. It's possible to get a pair for about £12; I've had good experiences with SelectSpecs, and they're not much more expensive than a decent pair of off-the-shelf reading glasses.

Lisa69free

Too late I'm afraid regarding the glasses. My eye test was Friday gone and I've already paid for them and ready to collect this Saturday.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well my new glasses seem to be perfect. Being able to see without squinting at my phone is great.

Well they will be because they were made for your eyes as they are right now. It is very possible they will change again over the next few weeks or months as your glucose levels come down and stabilise. Then they may be next to useless. Your Optician, if they were aware of your new diabetes diagnosis should have known this and not made you fork out for expensive glasses at this stage. Of course it may all turn out ok but if not, get back down to the Opticians and get your money back or new glasses without having to pay again. Before my diagnosis I didn't even need glasses, when I started on insulin I immediately could not see to read, my Optician told me to get a cheap pair of reading spectacles and lo and behold, 8 weeks later I didn't need any glasses at all.