The 8 week blood sugar diet

Beelady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe and offal
I would love to try it, I just don't think I could keep it up for 8 weeks - although I understand that doing the real food version of ND is easier if you are coming at it having already established yourself on a low carb diet.[/QUOTE]

I have, this week, finished 8 weeks of ND using the shakes and bars. I found it quite challenging. Mainly because as an adult, I do not need to drink my food like a baby does. I felt the need to eat some really crunchy food and achieved that by making myself lovely salads which included celery, fennel and sliced red onions, raw of course, and fresh peppers, cherry plum tomatoes and lots of raw cabbage. It looked very appealing and certainly flavoursome with a dash of dressing. I found lunchtimes particularly difficult because I usually make a bacon sandwich or cheese toastie for my husband. I find bread the hardest thing to give up. I find drinking 2 - 3 litres of water a challenge too. In my normal daily cycle of events I often find that I've got to tea time and still not had a drink at all. I have to really work at taking enough water!
My FBG had been 11.5 or much higher (16.8) for many weeks. It is now 7.9, once it was only 4.9, and always well below 10mmol/l. Still on the high side but a great deal better. I have only lost 2kg when I really need to loose 10kg. I'm very restricted with my mobility since I broke my ankle a year ago, followed by CABG procedure. However my husband has managed to sort my road bike out and it's now on a static stand and from tomorrow I can use it for exercise.
My way forward will be starting the Fast 800 diet plan tomorrow using real food! I find that bread is my worst battle. If anybody knows of a keto style bread recipe suitable for a bread making machine please can you post it here? (When we first went into lockdown and it was hit and miss that online grocery orders would allow you to order bread, I bought a bread maker but I've not used it yet.)
I hope that you, Chook, have great success if you decide to try it.

Last edited:

Amanda60

Hi, I used this book (recommended by my GP on diagnosis). I found it really useful and now follow a low carb diet but still reference this book and recipes. I lost 4 stone in about 8 months and I've kept if off (since Feb 21). My HbaC1 was 103 in June 2020 (on diagnosis), 49 in October 2020 and 39 in June 2021. Good luck x