HBA1c 6.4

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see from your profile your A1c has been as follows

HBA1c 4.2 in oct 2019.. HBA1c 5.1 in Dec 2019.. HBA1C 5.3 in Feb 2020.. HBA1C 6.5 in Aug 2020( no meds only LCHF diet)

What changed between Feb & August 2020 ?
Congrats on halting the progress btw

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sad .. HBA1c result came and it’s 6.4
Any room left for improvement on the carb front? And stupid question maybe, but did you have covid, or experience extra stress or routine changes due to it going around?

It's been a rough year and a half for everyone. No surprise if that shows up in your HbA1c eh.

Reactions: jjraak and LaoDan

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I'me a bit confused by these new figures their using now , Last june I had my HbA1c test and it came back at 44 which they said was a bit to low and to get in touch with my GP which I did only to be told that it was fine and to forget about it , How does this figure compere to the figures I am seeing on here ?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'me a bit confused by these new figures their using now , Last june I had my HbA1c test and it came back at 44 which they said was a bit to low and to get in touch with my GP which I did only to be told that it was fine and to forget about it , How does this figure compere to the figures I am seeing on here ?
You're a T1. If your HbA1c is just about what a diet controlled T2 would call fantastic, the odds are you're having hypo's. Not 100% certain, but the likelyhood is there. The main difference is, you're on insulin. My HbA1c is currently 35, which is a little higher than I would like, but I'm not on anything that'll press my numbers down, like insulin or gliclazide, meaning there's little to no risks of hypo's. If you were 35, you'd be very likely to see hypo's all the time, which wouldn't be too great. So it's all relative, really.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Your units are IFCC
Old money was DCCT, still used in US

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

The DCCT units were often close figure wise to the FBG so created confusion I'm led to believe.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Since you are a T1 rather than a T2, there is a possibility/probability that your HbA1C is too low, but that would be assuming that you are eating according to the government guidelines. However if you are eating Low Carb as many (including T1's) are now doing, your HbA1C could just mean that you have great control of your BG.

It all depends upon how high your high BG figures are and how low your low BG figures are.
Some Type 1 diabetics use very little Insulin and have great control and hence fantastic HbA1C numbers (for a T1), like the UK GP Dr Ian Lake, or like the members of the US Dr R Bernstein's Facebook group.

Do check your BG numbers before bed to be sure you are allowing enough leeway in order to avoid an overnight hypo. A continuous Glucose monitor (when properly calibrated) is the most convenient option for Type 1's.

Reemap

Any room left for improvement on the carb front? And stupid question maybe, but did you have covid, or experience extra stress or routine changes due to it going around?

It's been a rough year and a half for everyone. No surprise if that shows up in your HbA1c eh.
Stress is there .. not Covid positive till date .. took my first dose of vaccine too.. I had left you a private message too but did not get your reply there .. however nice to see your reply here .. is 6.4 very bad ?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stress is there .. not Covid positive till date .. took my first dose of vaccine too.. I had left you a private message too but did not get your reply there .. however nice to see your reply here .. is 6.4 very bad ?
Nope, not very bad, far as I understand it. Still prediabetic, if I got the conversion right. And like I said, the past year and a half has been stressful on everyone. I had a bit of a breakdown and left the forum for a while, and I disabled all private messages since then. I was getting so many from people I couldn't really help, asking me to fix their lives, basically, when I'm just another T2 trying to figure it out as she goes along. (Some even followed me to other online places and demanded all sorts of things from me I couldn't offer. It got scary.) Honestly, I'm still trying to decide whether I'm here to stay or not. So I'm sorry about not replying to your message, but I can't open up that option again because it gets to be too much, you know?

Anyway... You're going to be okay, I'm sure of it. You've been on top of this from the get-go, and you're certainly stronger than you gave yourself credit for this whole time.

Hugs,
Jo

Reemap

Hello Jo.. thanks a lot for your motivation as always. It’s shocking to know that you went through all this. No problem I will be in touch with you through this forum. But please do not leave the forum as your info Helps a lot for the new beginners and also some old like me.. hope to continue to be in touch with you..

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jo, just want to echo what Reemap posted above. Really sorry you've had such an awful time, and please don't leave this forum. I'm type 1, but know quite a lot of type 2, and often find invaluable information to pass on to others from your posts. Sending big hugs and hope to read many more of your posts. Take care.