Freestyle Libre Offshore

AJB_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Anyone wearing a Libre sensor offshore? If so have you got any info on assessments done to allow wearing the sensor in hazardous areas?

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I use to work in the oil industry onshore , retired in 2013 , I know you could wear a watch with a battery but weren’t allowed a mobile phone, things need to be intrinsically safe I guess , maybe worth asking the safety department , they should be able to give you some info .might have to get some technical info from Abbott

AJB_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
After getting confused responses from people at Libre, I finally answered the question myself working with Technical experts where I work…
The FreeStyle Libre 2 sensor is powered by an SR626w battery. This battery type has a discharge rate which is below the minimum value ignition capability wattage. Therefore the sensor is safe to wear in a hazardous area offshore (oil/gas platform) - but wearers should always check with their own technical authorities and get approval for their specific location.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
After getting confused responses from people at Libre, I finally answered the question myself working with Technical experts where I work…
The FreeStyle Libre 2 sensor is powered by an SR626w battery. This battery type has a discharge rate which is below the minimum value ignition capability wattage. Therefore the sensor is safe to wear in a hazardous area offshore (oil/gas platform) - but wearers should always check with their own technical authorities and get approval for their specific location.
That is very interesting, but what about the phone/reader? Not much good wearing a sensor if you can't read its results....

AJB_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That is very interesting, but what about the phone/reader? Not much good wearing a sensor if you can't read its results....
You can’t take your phone or reader outside the accommodation, so you just scan when you go back in.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM