What do I do now ??

Jemma147

Hi all .
Not been feeling right for a while (probs to long really ) long story short been doctors had blood test blah blah it came back as 116 ??? Does this mean anything to you ? He gave me a script for meteor in 500mg in the morning 500mg in the evening and a referral to the diabetic team but there’s a wait of 6 weeks ....
so what now ??
I’m too scared to eat , I don’t know what to eat , where to start ...
help !

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, greetings.
The numbers you quote are your HbA1c, it's a measure of your average blood glucose over 3 months.
20-41 is considered normal, 42-47 is pre-diabetic & >48 is diabetic which is where we find you.

What need to do is order a glucose meter then school yourself up on low carb, great resources for both on this site.
If your sedentary & carry excess fat around your abdomen you can also focus on that.

I've seen posters on here with HbA1cs as high as your normalise blood sugar in a matter of months by eating low carb.
If your practitioners advocate eating 45-60g of carbs per meal or mention the Eatwell Plate/Food Pyramid you need to completely ignore their advice.
If they tell you not to purchase a glucometer you need to completely ignore their advice.

That's it really, you've got this by coming here.

Reactions: jjraak

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all .
Not been feeling right for a while (probs to long really ) long story short been doctors had blood test blah blah it came back as 116 ??? Does this mean anything to you ? He gave me a script for meteor in 500mg in the morning 500mg in the evening and a referral to the diabetic team but there’s a wait of 6 weeks ....
so what now ??
help !

I'm presuming he said you were type 2 then? It means a lot to us as that '116' is high (if it's your hb1ac) and equates to an average glucose reading of 17mmol. I can fully understand why you are scared to eat, do you mean he has started you on metformin? Get yourself a glucometer and strips so you can test for yourself how your meals affect your levels and start from there. Have a good read around this forum, you will find loads of good advice as to how you can approach it depending on your aims. I would also say find out about diabetes so that YOU have a really good understanding of it for when you talk to your GP, etc, as well as for helping you to manage it. x

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree with what is said above and would add start low carb eating. This will involve not eating, at least, bread, cereals, rice, pasta and potatoes. For meal suggestions see this site and diet doctor. It sounds an horrendous change but there are many on this site who do it and have put their diabetes in remission

Last edited:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi all .
so what now ??
help !
You might find this helps:
https:/www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/
Good luck.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Best affordable Blood Glucose meters in the UK (low cost plus more importantly low cost of test strips ) :
SD Gluco Navii
Spirit Healthcare Tee2

Test before and then after each meal at first until you know which foods are OK for your body (we are all slightly different).
Test just before a meal and then 2hrs after 1st bite.
Unless A).meal is know to be high sugars/refined carbs - in which case also test at 1hr mark
B). meal includes lots of fat or you drink alcohol with it (both of which slow down conversion of carbs into Blood Sugar but don't stop it). In which case also test after 3hrs or even 4hrs.

What you aim for is a less than 2mmol rise in BG from before to after - which means your body was OK with that amount/form of carbs. Also aim to keep your maximum BG reading down to 8.0 mmol if possible.

If you manage to do those 2 consistently over 3 months then your HbA1C will be hugely reduced. Other good things are also likely to happen: weight loss, reduced Blood Pressure, improved mood, improved energy.
Not everybody gets all of these improvements, but I have yet to hear of somebody who didn't get some of them by going low carb and 'eating to their meter'.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Jemma147 .

Hugs for the worry.

Great advice above.

For me, your crash course in T2D,
Couldn't get off to a better start.

Book or Kindle.

A 5 stars from me
The Diabetes Code: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally (The Code Series, 2)

Last edited: