T2 AND CHOLESTEROL

AnnM99

Hi.
My gp said my cholesterol was 6.6 but never commented on treatment. Is this because with better blood sugar it can come down? (worried I'll l have a h attack.)

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I've copied a paragraph from https://www.bloodsugar101.com/a1c-and-heart-disease

A large epidemiological study published in 2012, which tracked 52,087 Norwegians for ten years, found that their total cholesterol levels did not predict heart attacks--or any other kind of death--and that for women, the higher their cholesterol, the less likely they were to die of heart attack. Indeed, total cholesterol levels up to about 271 mg/dl appeared to be protective against heart disease.

If you have a look at the link it explains that your HbA1c level is a much better marker for heart disease. So it seems better to concentrate on keeping your BG levels down than worrying about cholesterol.
You may find this discussion interesting https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

Brettskee

Hi I’m still here and my cholesterol was 26.6 last month and not been under 13 for over a year I have hypocholestademia All I ever get is can’t give you any more medicine as you are on max dose

aard

Hi.
My gp said my cholesterol was 6.6 but never commented on treatment. Is this because with better blood sugar it can come down? (worried I'll l have a h attack.)

Mine is slightly higher with bad trigs and ratio between good/bad bad enough they cant measure the good.

My GP uses some program which tells me I have 30% chance dying in next 10 years.

So they keep pushing statins as treatment. Surprised not same for you!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP uses some program which tells me I have 30% chance dying in next 10 years.
You can Google Qrisk3 and do the test for yourself. My test said 29% but I pointed out to my doctor that if he took blood now he wouldn't think I was diabetic. He ran the test again and it said 20%. That seems to me a weakness of the test, it asks if you are diabetic but doesn't ask about control.

alangdunbar

Total Cholesterol doesn't indicate major health problems... It's your TriGlyceride levels that you have to concentrate on. These shouldn't get too high as it's High TriGlycerides that can lead to Heart Disease & Strokes. I refused to take Statins and concentrate improving my diet instead.. Although I am on Metformin, my TG's are great and I have balanced HDL & LDL in the healthy zone. Feel fit n healthy, Blood Pressure is Bang on 120/80 and BG now 6.5 AVG

Brettskee

Think bad cholesterol bad trigs go together my trigs are what the doc quoted worst he ever did see at 62.2 and still done nothing got new appointment next month to see different consultant hopefully will do something