Need advice about porcine insulin

yumyum46

Hello everyone,
I have been using analog insulins since 1992 but i'v always had wanted to try porcine insulin for many reasons, one of them being I had several severe hypos because I do not feel the hypo until it's almost too late. But I live in France and Hypurin is absolutely unavailable. I don't know much about the UK health system so I would be very thankful if you took a few seconds to answer me : can I buy Hypurin in the UK without a prescription if I pay for it by myself? And do pharmacies have that insulin or is it difficult to get it even in the UK? Thanks a lot.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,
I have been using analog insulins since 1992 but i'v always had wanted to try porcine insulin for many reasons, one of them being I had several severe hypos because I do not feel the hypo until it's almost too late. But I live in France and Hypurin is absolutely unavailable. I don't know much about the UK health system so I would be very thankful if you took a few seconds to answer me : can I buy Hypurin in the UK without a prescription if I pay for it by myself? And do pharmacies have that insulin or is it difficult to get it even in the UK? Thanks a lot.
Insulin is a controlled drug so only available by prescription

Wockhardt UK Seem to be the only supplier of animal insulin’s in the UK.

No longer bovine though

Last edited:

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still use a porcine insulin and no, phamacies do not usually keep much insulin of any type in stock. They order it in when required for a particular prescription. People using porcine insulin are not common these days. It would be worth contacting the Independent Diabetes Trust and asking them your question. They campaign for patients to be able to choose their insulin and are a charity. Their website address is : - http://iddt.org

Last edited:
Reactions: Struma and EllieM