Changed insulin regime

connors mum

Hi was at clinic with my son a couple of weeks ago and they decided to change his insulin regime, so Connor was using basal boulus novo rapid and levemir in the mornings and at tea time and novo at lunch but was getting fed up doing his lunchtime injection at school so they suggested he start taking Humulin I in the mornings with his novo to see if this covered his lunch too and cut out his lunch time injection only this is Dr says he's never done this before and its a bit of an experiment! (his words) :shock: So i was a bit reluctant and didnt think it was going to work be hey it seems to be going good so far! Any one else use this regime?

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I'm thinking of looking in to this next year before my son starts school. I know a lot of kids doing a similar regime. Some it works for and some find they end up too high. Have you made diet changes as well to fit this regime?

connors mum

Hi yeah we doing a low carb or carb free lunch and seems to be going well, thought when connor comes home from school he is always hungry (growing teenager) so if he's wanting something with carbs he has to take some insulin hes not to fussed about this tho, just glad not to have to do injection at school :) x

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I think I could do a low carb lunch for Khaleb and keep him on Levemir/Novorapid and avoid the lunch injection. I do think he would be hungry for a carby arv tea and I'd probably give him early dinner and extra supper with a little Novorapid. I just wouldn't want to stack too much insulin late in the day but I do find his Levemir is running out about then anyway. I might have to experiment a bit later in the year. I'm not going to know what school is going to offer in the way of injecting/testing.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

I don't know what type of insulin Humalin 1 is, but I use Insuman basal (Intermediate acting) with Apidra (rapid acting). I inject the Insuman morning and evening and the Apidra with my tea. The Insuman has a 16 hour coverage (although I think it's much less than that - more like 8 for me) with a strong peak around the 4 -6 hour mark. With careful timing, the night time Insuman keeps me stable thorugh the night and covers a low-carb breakfast, the morning dose covers a low-carb lunch and I take the apidra with my tea. This means I usually avoid injecting at work. This has been working well, although as my LADA progresses it is working less well so i might have to change to Levemir/Lantus. I'm persevering for the moment though.
Anyway, Insuman might be worth a look for your sons?

Smidge

cocodog

Hi

A similar situation is happening with my son Chris, who is 19 and started Humulin I twice a day on Tuesday, with Humalog to cover meals to replace Lantus. Its early days although his readings are sometimes for no reason high and get stuck even when taking correction doses of Humalog. We also eat low carb and wondered about also using a short acting insulin to cover high protein meals.
Several times its been mentioned that insulins with isophane have a variable absorption and can hold onto and release insulin at unpredictable times.
Best wishes
Linda