ADVICE ABOUT INSULIN REGIME ?

hazey276

Hello folks, I've been reading with interest about this basal/bolus regime. I am currently on Novomix 30, (45 units morning, 40 units evening), also on Glucophage SR (1000 MG PER DAY, 1 morning, 1 night). The problem i'm finding is that i'm having regular mega hypo's throughout the day. I just wondered if anyone else had been on a similar type of medication like mine and then gone on to the basal/bolus type and what were the results. I'm thinking that it is more controlable than the amounts i have to take at present.

If anyone has any experience of this could you give me any info about it. If people have had success with this i can approach my GP and ask him to change my meds.

regards

hazey

Tinkerbelly

Most hypos can be avoided Hazey but either eating more carb or if you dont want to do that, the other way is by reducing your insulin by one or two units to see if that does the trick :)

DiabeticSkater

I used novo mix many years ago ad had exactly the same problem you are having. Switching to bolus/basal made things far easier, gave me far better control and gave me more flexibilty.
Currently using Lantus twice daily 8 units. and Apidra when ever required on a 1 unit of insulin to 4 grams of carb. proberbly about 40 units in total per day.

Katharine

These are high doses of insulin here. I'm not surprised you are having "mega hypos".

You need to cut your insulin down a lot ie give 2/3 of your current doses and be prepared to cut further if necessary.

When you lose weight or cut your carbs your insulin sensitivity increases a lot.