Just about to buy a monitor

WasntMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Do all test strips ‘fit/work with’ all monitors?

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
To my knowledge you need to get the right strips for the right monitor.

I believe there is another thread on here that mentions the best one to get for value for money.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, you definitely need the right strips for your chosen meter. I would give you the low down of meters available in the UK but I notice from a previous thread that you live in Japan. Just make sure whichever meter you pick has reasonably priced strips as that will be your ongoing expense, rather than looking for the cheapest meter initially.

WasntMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, you definitely need the right strips for your chosen meter. I would give you the low down of meters available in the UK but I notice from a previous thread that you live in Japan. Just make sure whichever meter you pick has reasonably priced strips as that will be your ongoing expense, rather than looking for the cheapest meter initially.
I’m in the UK for the next month at least. And figured the strips are the iceberg under the tip.

If you do have an idea of which meters work with reasonably priced strips?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The meter with the cheapest strips is the Gluco Navii. https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/. https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips. Buying a pack of 10 boxes of strips using the discount code works out at £5.68.

The SD Codefree from Home Health has similarly priced strips, but is rumoured to be being discontinued at some point.

The Tee2+ from Spirit Healthcare also has relatively cheap strips, (although they have recently gone up in price): https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/products/copy-of-copy-of-tee2-blood-glucose-meter
with the strips found here: https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/products/copy-of-tee2-test-strips

I got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order the meter and 10 boxes of strips and they threw the meter in for free. Phone number 0800 8815423. I daresay Home Health would do the same.

Also from Spirit Healthcare, with more expensive strips than the Tee2+ is their Caresens Dual. This can be used for testing ketones too (strips for that very expensive). https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Don’t forget to check the box (or mention on the phone) to say you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Reactions: WasntMe

WasntMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I think I can get it VAT free anyway, when I leave the UK. They mention that I need to order the 'correct type' regarding the units in which the measurement is given. But presumably it's simple enough to convert in your head from one standard to another?

Reactions: Kyambala

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I can get it VAT free anyway, when I leave the UK. They mention that I need to order the 'correct type' regarding the units in which the measurement is given. But presumably it's simple enough to convert in your head from one standard to another?

mmol/l is the UK (and most other places) measure
mg/dl is the US unit
multiply UK by 18 to get US.

Reactions: Kyambala

centaur68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
apologies as its probably on a thread somewhere, but can you get strips on prescription or just buy them yourself? thanks

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
apologies as its probably on a thread somewhere, but can you get strips on prescription or just buy them yourself? thanks

Good morning Centaur68, If you live in the UK and have Diabetes then you can get a meter and test strips for FREE from your local Surgery. All your test strips will come on prescription for free if you use the meter type prescribe by your GP.

You can of course get whatever meter you want FREE from the manufacturer BUT you local Health Authority will only provide for FREE test strips for the meter they recommend.

Have a nice day.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
mmol/l is the UK (and most other places) measure
mg/dl is the US unit
multiply UK by 18 to get US.

Thanks bulkbiker, I never realised that the conversation was that simple - you are a wealth of knowledge.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m in the UK for the next month at least. And figured the strips are the iceberg under the tip.

Good afternoon Wasntme, Whilst you are in the UK you can get one FREE meter with 10 test strips from ANY meter manufacturer just by asking them on the Internet.

You have been given some very good information by others on this thread.

Have a nice day.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good morning Centaur68, If you live in the UK and have Diabetes then you can get a meter and test strips for FREE from your local Surgery. All your test strips will come on prescription for free if you use the meter type prescribe by your GP.
Not quite correct I'm afraid, many T2's do not get test strips on prescription at all, those on insulin or other blood glucose lower medications will (or should do at least), but if not on them then its a lot lot less likely (dependent on postcode)
Anyways, I think this has probably gone off topic, oops :(

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst you are in the UK you can get one FREE meter with 10 test strips from ANY meter manufacturer just by asking them on the Internet.
Which will see you through the first day of testing, including a few mistakes.

Then you will have to get your wallet out and pay whatever the price is for the strips.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

You can of course get whatever meter you want FREE from the manufacturer BUT you local Health Authority will only provide for FREE test strips for the meter they recommend.

Have a nice day.
Sadly not true. Most GPs are reluctant to prescribe meters and strips so unless you have one who will (and if you're not "lawfully and permanently a resident in the UK" you're not actually entitled to register with a GP anyway) you will be paying for them yourself.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@WasntMe
If you are going to be buying in bulk be aware the strips have a use by date. My current ones have a date of 2022/11