Ozempic - Has anyone managed to improve their sugars enough to come off Ozempic

JanetWykes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was put onto Ozempic in May 21, and I am currently on the injection dose of 0.5 and managing my sugars well. I have lost 10kg in 8 weeks (combining this with a low carb diet and complete change of eating habits). I have always been reluctant to start this medication and saw it as a short term aid. I have managed to completely stop my insulin and also Empagliflozin that i was taking. I know I will need to lose a lot more weight (currently 95kg and aiming for at least another 15-20kg off) but I am hoping to be able to come off the Ozempic. Has anyone else managed this transition of using Ozempic for a relatively short time and finding that they can then maintain their sugars through diet or diet/metformin?

Reactions: NaijaChick

optimist1

I would think that when you have reached near your goal weight. You may be able to discontinue Ozempic. I would use the Newcastle diet, weight loss and reverse T2 as an example.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put onto Ozempic in May 21, and I am currently on the injection dose of 0.5 and managing my sugars well. I have lost 10kg in 8 weeks (combining this with a low carb diet and complete change of eating habits). I have always been reluctant to start this medication and saw it as a short term aid. I have managed to completely stop my insulin and also Empagliflozin that i was taking. I know I will need to lose a lot more weight (currently 95kg and aiming for at least another 15-20kg off) but I am hoping to be able to come off the Ozempic. Has anyone else managed this transition of using Ozempic for a relatively short time and finding that they can then maintain their sugars through diet or diet/metformin?

Janet

It would be great to hear of any updates you'd like to share on a monthly basis..

Thanks

Living by the Beach

JanetWykes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Janet

It would be great to hear of any updates you'd like to share on a monthly basis..

Thanks

Living by the Beach

Hi
I had my HbA1C following 2.5 months on Ozempic. It has reduced from an initial 77 to 46 which I am really pleased with. I remain off insulin and Emagliflozin. My weight loss is now 15kg (in 12 weeks). My consultant is really pleased with my results and we have set a new weight target for the end of the year which when reached should enable me to try to remove the Ozempic. I would like my next HbA1C to be below 42

Reactions: Hopeful34

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I had my HbA1C following 2.5 months on Ozempic. It has reduced from an initial 77 to 46 which I am really pleased with. I remain off insulin and Emagliflozin. My weight loss is now 15kg (in 12 weeks). My consultant is really pleased with my results and we have set a new weight target for the end of the year which when reached should enable me to try to remove the Ozempic. I would like my next HbA1C to be below 42

Janet

With some good luck you may make your goal of getting off drugs completely! Well done on the weight loss so far having lost 33lbs. That is amazing!

Last edited:

JanetWykes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've been on Ozempic for 5.5 months now and have reduced my HbA1c from 72 in May 21, to 46 in July 21, and now 41 at the end of Oct 21. I have been on a low carb diet and dropped my weight from 105kg in May 21 to a current 78kg. I am thrilled with progress so far but still want to lose at least another 9kg. I await a chat with my consultant to see if there is an option to come off the ozempic and see if i can maintain. As I started a low carb diet at the same time as the ozempic it is difficult to know what is the major player.

Reactions: Hopeful34