starting newcastle diet on 2nd jan

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
its really strange, ive always been big, broad shoulders etc but also always carried too much weight, now im losing the fat im shrinking but becoming more defined, if im totally honest im not sure if i like it lol, its a bit like hercules and his hair, the fat was my shield now its going im struggling mentally with it. I know i'll llook better, my blood will be under control and hopefully stay off the meds but im struggling with body image issues lol
Got to get a grip lol

Matt77

Hi geordie90, I just got a PM from you but because I only just became a forum user tonight I'm not allowed to use PM's yet and consequently haven't been able to see your message.

Just so long as you don't think I was ignoring you! :)

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
no worries m8 was just gonna say give it a try but make sure you check with yuor nurse first about the meds

antmos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Geordie,

Dont worry. I am the most sensible chick on the planet! I am under the supervision of a doctor, a diabetic nurse and a dietician! I was told to halve my insulin when starting the diet, which I did, but since then I kept getting hypos so I had to cut out the short acting insulin. I am still getting a few hypos during the night so I am going to have to further reduce my long acting insulin. I am testing my sugar levels before and after each meal and they are usually around 5 before and around 7-8 after which are the best readings I have ever had! I think I may be totally off my insulin by the end of the diet. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for your concern tho! Very sweet :D

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
hi all
been to quacks this morning to have blood pressure checked it was 148/70 three weeks ago.
This morning it was 108/68!! Nurse was delighted as am i. All going well.
Dont take meds for bp but if i stay as i am wont need too

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
antmos thats tremendous, even if it doesnt cure the diabetes if by doing this diet it gets u off meds and feeling better and not having hypos then alls good.
i think aftr the eight weeks i'll stick with the shakes for breakfast and lunch then have a sensible tea.
Whats interesting is that uve been diagnosed for 11 years and it is working for u too

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
I have decided that surfing in the north sea in january is a recipe for two things, a tiny t*****r, and hypothermia, checked out new board though and it goes canny lol
Couldnt talk for an hour afterwards cos my teeth were chattering so much lol
but it was exercise and i enjoyed it lol

blacksmarty1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All
it's been a while since I was last on here but just reading through this page made me want to reply to geordie90 about body image.
7 years ago I went in for a gastric band op of my own choosing more for the health issues I was facing at that time. I lost 4 stone in 3 months and on one hand was elated at the progress I had made following the program to the letter, but on the other hand was very scared about the rapid weight loss and how I felt and related to it. So I can totally understand how you are feeling. I was due to go for the band tightening and opted to stay with it as it was at that time. I did not loose any more weight and was quite happy with everything and how I was. My starting weight was 20 and a half stone so had come down to 16 and a half and at that point I was not diabetic. Over the next few years I pretty much stayed the same and felt ok, then I was diagnosed with T2, that was 4 years ago. I was sent away with a testing monitor and told that I would not need medication and that I did not need to follow a special diet. ''You can eat what you want but in moderation'' well off I went and truly believed that that was what I could do. I now know that it is a load of rubbish. I had no idea what the monitor was suposed to tell me and the only thing I was advised to do was may be lose a bit of weight. It took me till 18 months ago to decide I was ready to carry on with more weight loss, back to the body image and how I felt about it, so had the band tightened a little at a time over 3/4 month period. When I was weighed I had put back on 1 stone so was 17 and a half stone. I lost the stone over a few weeks and then stayed around 16 1/2 to 17 stone for about a year.
On the 1st of August last year having read all about the study I was inspired to do the Newcastle program. My starting weight was 17st 1lb and I lost 33 lbs in total, see below the stats.
9lbs week1
4lbs week2
3lbs week3
3lbs week4
4lbs week5
3lbs week6
4lbs week 7
3lbs week 8
I went back for the blood test and my Hba1c was down to 5.8 from up around 6.9 the time before.
my morning bg ranges from 4.7 to 5.5 and never has gone above 5.8 at any time of the day since I stopped the program. I have not been able to continue with the program, even though at the time I fully intended to do so. I don't know why not, but I am so pleased with how my blood is that I am not too worried about that. So it's almost 4 months since then and yes I have put 10lbs of the weight back on, about 6lbs in the first 4 weeks of going back to eating more and the other 4lbs over the christmas and new year period. I am on here reading everything and I have to thank everyone for their support and the knowledge shared on here, that I now feel I know more about the condition. While I am now back in the normal range for Hbac1 I do not know if it is a complete cure or just a hold on the diabetes for now. I still try not to have lots of carbs anyway and I will go on to lose some more this year. Mine is now a long term goal that I have set for myself to continue reducing steadily, there will be times when things are easy and some times when they are not. I have learned to love the body image changes that are taking place and am no longer scared ..........I love it!!
So what I wanted to say to you geordie90 is love all the thrill of the body changes you are having and bring out the new version of yourself that has been hidden for a while but was really there all the time..........You will grow to like him!!! Well done.
regards Diane

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Diane
Excellent post thanks very much, and excellent results to hear your bg's have stayed sensible even when you stopped the diet is very interesting and is another reason to continue on with it.
The body image issue is something i probably hid behind in the past to enable me not to stay on a diet. You are so right in saying i will see bits of my body that ive never seen , ribs, chin lol.
I think i will get used to it but im so used to being the chunky lad hopefully i might get known as the reasonably muscular old bloke now lol.
I thank you for the support and keep posting if you fancy it , im gonna stick at it and lose more, want to get down to about 13/14 stone a weight ive never been since i left school twenty odd years ago.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Saw my diabetic nurse yesterday and told her what i was doing, hadnt seen her for nearly two years lol, head in the sand lol, but showed her my FBG's on my chart and she was most impressed, happy that id come off the meds and also that id had my bloods taken on the day i started the programme. I am having them retaken three months in to see the difference.
Gonna have to buy a belt as all my trousers are falling down lol, maybe a wardrobe clear out too as shirts are looking too big now lol.
As an aside my fbg this morning was 5.1

I didnt realise but i have been diagnosed for nine years , thought is was less than that if im honest , but it goes to show that this diet works for people who have been diagnosed a long time.

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Chuffed to bits for you - have had to buy a new belt too, Geordie - and new jeans lol. I lost another two inches of my waist this week...

BG before dinner tonight 4.9 so I am not going to have my meds tonight and see how I get on :shock:

I was initially diagnosed as type two about five years ago - this was changed to type 1.5 a few months ago so I wasn't sure if this diet would help me much, but it seems to be so far, fingers crossed.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
excellent news beancounter
hardest thing is not partaking though lol been out tonight and drank slimline tonic water all night lol could have murdered a pint but got to keep at it
BGs show its working and im not getting spikes at all

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi Guys,

It's day Day 5 for me and so far so good.

A couple of questions if I may?

Firstly, how fast is the weight loss normally in the first few days and weeks? For me so far it's averaging about 1 lb per day, which doesn't seem much to me. Every January I stop drinking booze for a month (no diet) and can easily lose a stone in weight.

Secondly, BG dropping nicely - evening less than 5 and morning circa 6. Normally it's 7+ so my question is, at which point do I stop taking my meds? I am taking 2 x 500mg of Metformin per day.

Thirdly, I am drinking only water, coffee and tea so far. Can I drink diet drinks like Pepsi Max or Diet Coke too?

Thanks

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Ardbeg
I think a pound a day is excellent lol that would equate to 30 pound in a month lol(2 stone!!!) and lets be right there is no hurry.
As far as your medication goes personally i was on four metformin a day but stopped taking it two weeks before i started the diet, i would recommend that you contact you nurse or Doctor to make sure it is safe to come off them.
I stick to water and tea, also slimline tonic for a change, havent had any diet pop at all i think they give me cravings tbh

Dont worry about the weight loss any weight loss is a bonus and your bgs are really good too but they will get lower, mine are 4.5-4.9 in mornings now which is excellent.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks.

I think I'll come of the Metformin at the end of day 7 and keep a close eye on my BGs thereafter.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
just be careful, personally i have had no bad effects and i didnt consult my nurse or doctor first but thats me, everyone is different and id recommend seeing your GP first before coming off meds.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I only take two 500mg Metformin per day; one in the morning and another at bedtime.

Thanks, but I'm sure I'll be okay. If my BG shoots up and stays up I'll go back on Metformin.

I know some have given up their meds before starting this diet, but I thought THAT was too risky. However, in my case, I've seen an immediate drop in my BG after only a few days, so I think it's time to come off them

bluehils

Hi Ardbeg.
I wouldnt be discouraged at 1lb/ day weight loss. It is acutually higher than would be expected and is probably down to fluid loss which is common at the start of a diet.

Normal calorie requirement for me would be about 2400/day. If I eat 800cals/day that would be a 1600cal deficit -so about 11200 deficit/week. A pound of fat is equvalent to 3500cals therefore I would expect to lose 3.2lbs per week. So roughly 1/2lb per day.
Over the 56 days of the diet participants in the Newcastle study dropped from an average 103.7kg to 88.4kg.
15.3kg loss equals 33.6lbs so not so far out from 1/2lb per day.

As regards your other questions, any zero calorie drinks are fine. In addition to black tea and cofee I drink diet coke, diet tonic, sparking water, roibush tea. The more the merrier as it is important to keep the fluid intake up- at least 2litres/day.
As for meds all I can say is that I was on 3x500mg metformin/day and I stopped taking them the day I started the diet and I had no ill effects.
Good luck with the diet it gets easier as you progress but can be a little boring so be inventive with the veg!!